Do you intend to write a cruise review but never do.

cmptrwiz

When we cruise I take lots of pictures and make lots of notes so I can write a very informative review when I return. The problem is I never have time because when I return I'm constantly playing catch up at work and home. So thanks to everybody who does write a review!

I used to write them all the time in the early days, now I have gotten lazy. Mine never had pictures though.

When we cruise I take lots of pictures and make lots of notes so I can write a very informative review when I return. The problem is I never have time because when I return I'm constantly playing catch up at work and home. So thanks to everybody who does write a review!

I love writing reviews. I'm not a nitpicker nor a difficult guest, but expect good customer service within the possibilities. For my last cruise last year, I wrote a very extensive review of the ship, staff, excursions, etc.

But I have failed to publish it thus far. I think it was just too long :p

I have a great time reading the experience of others as well. It gets me through the "in between cruise" time :D

I don't mind all the cruise ship / port photos or food photos, but I don't want the first 1/4 of the review to entail your packing at home, your car, your hotel, etc. If I want a hotel review, I just go to Trip Advisor. If I need a new car...:rolleyes:

Gosh, there was this one review I read recently where the author was showing us pix of the high end Porsche he could have rented, but had to instead get the AMG Mercedes sedan for more space. Do I care? NO!

Just show me the ship /cruise!

I wrote a review which I posted direct onto the P&O forum and boy what a mistake. Despite telling people it was mine and mine alone opinion, people fell on me like a ton of bricks. The few who did agree with me were heavily outnumbered by those who didn't.

I posted a number of times that we had enjoyed the cruise and would be prepared to try P&O again, but it didn't satisfy them. I think some of them might have even lynched me if they had had a chance :eek:

I haven't posted any review since then.

IKR!! I even have started them and never finished :eek:

I would love to write a review, however, I voiced an opinion about bar service on another board and was met with disparaging comments and told my opinion was "nonsense." This site is not for the faint of heart...much has changed here over the past few years.

I've done a couple (three) and I can give you what I find to be the positive and the negative on doing a review.

First the positive.

1. They are are a great way to relive a great vacation and can be fun.

2. Sometimes you get to know other CC members through a review and hook up on social media and possibly cruise together (we did on our last cruise).

3. A review can be used as a "journal" so you can go back and look through it from time to time to again, relive your cruise and it can be great documentation.

4. They can be very helpful to others in planning their cruises and many followers will appreciate that and will let you know.

5. They can provide a "cruise fix" to others who don't get to cruise every year but who still go through "cruise withdraw".

Now for the negative.

1. They can be very, very time consuming (pictures, writing it, etc.).

4. Depending on which picture host site you use, you may end up paying to contribute. My host site charges after you've reached their maximum on the "free storage", which I have exceeded, so it's costing me. I also use another site that is free for storage, and it's also compatible for some with posting here to CC, but for some reason I'm one of the ones it's not working for.

2. There is a lot of playing "catch up" (as mentioned) unless you have a lot of free time on your hands. I had to play a big "catch up" game after my last one since I spent so much time on it. I dug myself into a hole with other responsibilities, to the point where I looked back and wondered if it was even worth it. Probably not.

3. You need to have "tough skin", or as ntara mentioned, it's not for the faint of heart. Two reasons: If you are a first time or newer reviewer, you will not have a following and it will seem like you're putting in a lot of work for nothing. As others have mentioned, some people can be rather harsh with their comments. I've seen some harsh words left on reviews done by some of CC's favorite review writers and I've seen a lot of recent reviews start off with a disclaimer.

It sounds like I'm trying to discourage reviews, but I'm really not. So many people start them, then end up not finishing them and leaving us followers hanging. Nothing like following a good review only to have it not finished. But just thought I'd put a "reality check" out there for anyone considering doing one.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

I've done a couple (three) and I can give you what I find to be the positive and the negative on doing a review.

First the positive.

1. They are are a great way to relive a great vacation and can be fun.

2. Sometimes you get to know other CC members through a review and hook up on social media and possibly cruise together (we did on our last cruise).

3. A review can be used as a "journal" so you can go back and look through it from time to time to again, relive your cruise and it can be great documentation.

4. They can be very helpful to others in planning their cruises and many followers will appreciate that and will let you know.

5. They can provide a "cruise fix" to others who don't get to cruise every year but who still go through "cruise withdraw".

Now for the negative.

1. They can be very, very time consuming (pictures, writing it, etc.).

4. Depending on which picture host site you use, you may end up paying to contribute. My host site charges after you've reached their maximum on the "free storage", which I have exceeded, so it's costing me. I also use another site that is free for storage, and it's also compatible for some with posting here to CC, but for some reason I'm one of the ones it's not working for.

2. There is a lot of playing "catch up" (as mentioned) unless you have a lot of free time on your hands. I had to play a big "catch up" game after my last one since I spent so much time on it. I dug myself into a hole with other responsibilities, to the point where I looked back and wondered if it was even worth it. Probably not.

3. You need to have "tough skin", or as ntara mentioned, it's not for the faint of heart. Two reasons: If you are a first time or newer reviewer, you will not have a following and it will seem like you're putting in a lot of work for nothing. As others have mentioned, some people can be rather harsh with their comments. I've seen some harsh words left on reviews done by some of CC's favorite review writers and I've seen a lot of recent reviews start off with a disclaimer.

It sounds like I'm trying to discourage reviews, but I'm really not. So many people start them, then end up not finishing them and leaving us followers hanging. Nothing like following a good review only to have it not finished. But just thought I'd put a "reality check" out there for anyone considering doing one.

This is mainly why I write reviews. I too have a not so good memory, so the reviews help me remember. If I happen to help others that is awesome too. But I agree, I don't have a lot of followers, and sometimes almost seems dumb to continue with lack of interest, but again I do it for myself first of all.

And yes, sometimes the image hosting sites suck. One site was down for quite a few days. The pics on my last two cruises came back, but my first photo review disappeared a couple years ago and never came back. Even the blank icon that shows where a picture used to be is gone!

I have too had rude comments about portions of the review that aren't directly related to the cruise. I even asked if anyone would be interested in my three day post-cruise trip to New Orleans and a few said yes. Then a rude one came by and asked me why I had to do New Orleans. :rolleyes: Well, since the cruise portion was over by that point, he could have just stopped reading! If you guys don't like certain parts of the review, no one is forcing you to read it.

Edited by whataboutport

I wrote one some time ago and included pictures. It was so much work, I decided never to attempt it again. :D

On the other hand, I enjoy reading reviews that include pictures of the possible future cruises my wife and I may take. It's a great resource to help us prepare ourselves.

I skip over reviews that have pages and pages of the preliminary details. I prefer reading a review that starts with boarding the ship and goes through to the last day.

Cruising is a wonderful way to see the world. We are always planning and looking ahead.

Edited by JimAOk1945

Don't feel guilty, once I wrote a review... not a fancy one, but still put some time into it and it was never posted.

So I don't bother.

Plus I'm an idiot and can't figure out how to down load a picture that is larger than a thumbnail.

Try the TapaTalk app. It is very easy, just click on the camera button then choose photos. I did a live review. It was easy. And didn't take to much time

I agree with pghsteelerfan, but I don't write a review for the forums. I write a review for the review section and it has never been edited. Several times it has been "review of the month" and I received some small gifts from CC.

I look at the reviews as a journal for my own use in the future and as a helpful set of details that would be helpful for others in planning. I don't add extraneous info that is personal and try to be objective and I don't name names unless it is a compliment.

Personally, I don't usually like reviews embedded in the forums as they are sometimes so hard to get through with mostly kind replies. When I am researching, I like all the info right there. A review in the review section is so much more efficient. I use youtube to get an idea of what the ship or port looks like so I don't value photos that much. Just IMHO.

Here's a link to my one and only review with pictures. It was a great cruise and we enjoyed it very much.

Mariner of the Seas Christmas Cruise

I think I would rather have people visit my wife's website (see links below) than to write a review, but I enjoy reading reviews that involve ships and itineraries we have experienced and hope to experience in the future.

Happy cruising everyone. It's a great way to travel!