Not allowed to board

pajazz28

They will ask you to fill out a medical sheet before you board.

I would recommend he see a doctor today.

Keith

I can't imagine anyone tells the truth on those even if they are sick as a dog. Mostly because there is no clear explanation of what happens if the doctor decides you shouldn't sail. You've paid, you've flown there, you've taken holiday time off work, who risks any of it getting screwed up?

I can't imagine anyone tells the truth on those even if they are sick as a dog. Mostly because there is no clear explanation of what happens if the doctor decides you shouldn't sail. You've paid, you've flown there, you've taken holiday time off work, who risks any of it getting screwed up?

All I said was they ask you to fill it out.

I am not going to tell someone how to fill it out.

That's their choice.

I would highly recommend that they see a doctor today and that is for their own good because even a flight can be a challenge if you have the flu.

Keith

See a doctor as flu can make some very ill being sick on hols in no fun.

Just a heads up, in the UK there is a TV show that shows how insurers investigate claims. One thing they do is check computer and phone data (forums, facebook etc as well) to see if the traveler knew they had issues before going on their hols or in some cases before the took out the insurance.;)

Edited by fragilek

DW and I are leaving this Saturday and I think DW maybe getting the flu. I have heard of cruise line not allowing people to board if they are showing sign on being sick is that true?

I read a board where someone flew to Europe a few days early, got food poison and listed it on their form, they were NOT allowed to board and had to fly home. I would get to the Dr. asap and get some of those coldeze to. My friend was getting really sick she ate the whole bag and by the next day she was so much better. If you list it they will not let you board. Get meds and maybe stay the in cabin a day or two, you don't want someone else to get sick.

DW and I are leaving this Saturday and I think DW maybe getting the flu. I have heard of cruise line not allowing people to board if they are showing sign on being sick is that true?

Yes, they will look at your medical form and offer to give you a free exam. If they don't like what they see, you will not be allowed to board.

Yes, they will look at your medical form and offer to give you a free exam. If they don't like what they see, you will not be allowed to board.

I'm not sure "offer" is the best word. I suggest that "provide" is more accurate. :)

Having had the flu, I know on a cruise would be the LAST place I'd want to be! Your body HURTS, you have a fever, chills, and basically feel like you're dying. No way to spend a vacation! Flu can morph into pneumonia...and that can be life-threatening.

And, since Influenza is quite contagious, no...they will not let you board.

Edited by cb at sea

They can't tell visually. It's an honestly reported not feeling well that triggers the response. If not honest, they board and start a chain of infecting others, especially if they don't want to lose all the cruise costs unless they have insurance. Even then, some would say they did too much preplanning rather than cancel.

There's no think or maybe when it comes to the flu, you'll definitely know it when someone has it. I'd suggest getting that squared away ASAP. I had a cold last summer on a flight, and that alone took days for the pressure to alleviate in my ears. I couldn't imagine flying with something worse than a cold. I just got over a cold no less than a week ago. I tried something called "Hyperbiotics Immunity" from Amazon. Best $20 I ever spent. In fact, I'll be taking that the rest of my days.

That's right. Much better to infect hundreds of others. That's what insurance is for.

I work in a lab. All they have to do is swab her nose and it takes 10 minutes to get the results for the flu. If she DOES have it, they can prescribe Tamiflu which will hopefully shorten the duration of the virus. We are seeing a LOT of positive Flu A's....even in people that were vaccinated. I had 7 positives the other day in just an hour.

I was on the Adventure of the Seas when we had a bad outbreak of norovirus, and even though the forms were given out and filled in, the hotel director said there was still someone who was in the sick bay within an hour of setting off from Southampton, with Norovirus.

My friend with whom I was cruising on a side-to-side (one ship, a day in between, then another ship) had suffered a bit of seasickness (the water was a bit rough) and had thrown up on the last day of the first cruise.

He answered the "have you vomited in the previous 48 hours" question honestly before boarding the second cruise.

We were then taken aside to another room where we waited for a member of the ship's medical staff to evaluate him. She talked with him about his previous symptoms and how he was feeling now, and she also took his temperature. Seeing that his temperature was normal, she agreed that it was just a bit of seasickness and since he was fine now, we were cleared to board.

That's right. Much better to infect hundreds of others. That's what insurance is for.

I will point out that I didn't recommend it, but it is what I suspect is what goes on. And trip insurance doesn't cover recouping vacation time

Having had the flu, I know on a cruise would be the LAST place I'd want to be! Your body HURTS, you have a fever, chills, and basically feel like you're dying. No way to spend a vacation! Flu can morph into pneumonia...and that can be life-threatening.

And, since Influenza is quite contagious, no...they will not let you board.

Totally agree last place I'd like to be either thought I'd been beaten up in bed water boarded with hot then cold water I ached all over best head to a doc and get checked out

I am sorry your wife is sick and hope she gets to feeling better quickly. However she should go to the dr. to confirm she has the flu and get her something to help and also get you something in case you get it.

Please let us know how this turns out and if you are able to go on the cruise, I hope you have a wonderful time.