Santorini - Ship's shore excursion to Oia

kokopelli-az

We will be on the Reflection this May are are considering taking one of the ship's tours in Santorini (Island of Santorini and Village of Oia SO01).

If anyone has taken this excursion, were the passengers tendered to the cruise port (Skala/Fira - where the tram is) or tendered to the ferry port (Athinois) and then bussed back to Fira to catch the tram back down to the ship?

Part 2 of this question is how is the walkability of this tour for someone with mobility issues?

We did this tour on the Equinox last October. We tendered to buses. The tour ended in Fira and we took the ride down to the tenders. We entire execursion is on the moderate to slightly strenuous at times. Cliff side towns, distance from bus parking lot to actual sites and steps should be considered. We enjoyed it and thought Oia could be a longer visit. A most beautiful destination. Enjoy!

Would suggest you first take a look at the roll call for your cruise. I see you are new to cruise critic and excursions are probably best discussed there or on the ports board.

We did this same tour and there is a large climb uphill several hundred feet to Oja and then everywhere in Oja and Fira there are lots of stairs. Really would advise against this for someone with mobility difficulty. Would suggest tendering to Fira and taking the tram up and down on your own. Good views and the walking can be limited by when you choose to turn around if you are on your own. The town is friendly and all the towns are similar. Even the walk from the Oja bus to the tram would be difficult. Wife has asthma - no mobility issues and was exhausted.

We were on the Reflection in June 2014 and did the excursion to Oia. We enjoyed it very much. Would do it again! We tendered to busses which took us to Oia then back to Fira with a stop at a winery. The walking is through narrow streets, some uneven pavement and for us very crowded. Such a beautiful place to be! Have fun!!!

It has been a few years...but we took this excursion. Hope someone with more recent experience can update....

Wgen we went, we were taken by boat to the lower portion of a large hill...not the area of the tram/tender to ship.. We then boarded a bus that took us up the steep hill and on to Oia..We arrived before other tours and had a nice walking tour. I recall narrow streets with some steps, with shops and that it was hilly...nice views and photo ops but not much more

The tour went on to a winery..also great views....no mobility issues that I recall there. Excursion returned us to main city Fira where we walked around a bit, shopped.....It was hilly , crowded and warm. It was a bit tiring to walk. We took the tram down and then the tender to the ship...a few places to get a snack near the tenders...we were glad to return early as it can back up returning to the ship...

Enjoyed the day but next time we would probably stay in the port town while others went off on various tours.

We did Santorini in 2014 on the Reflection and the island is lovely. The ship dropped passengers who had booked tours off by tender at the dock, that was around 1pm and buses were waiting. The ship then sailed over to Fira and the rest of us were tendered off. We managed to get on the 4th tender so got to the cable car by around 4ish and the queue was sooooo long, we would have walked up but the smell from the donkey path was horrendous so we had a boat back to the dock and a bus to Oia. We had about 2hrs in Oia which was lovely I wish we could have stayed longer never mind. It was cheaper to do it ourselves but looking back I wish we could have got off earlier or maybe if the ship could have got to Santorini earlier never mind.

We have done this tour twice the last two years in July. My mum was 80 and 81 and walks with a cane. We booked the earliest tour and she managed well. She maybe didn't do all the exploring of the side streets in Oia but did go up to the church and we found a cafe overlooking the bay. Winery no problem. In Fira the first time they dropped us further away but we took our time. Second time dropped slightly closer. Both times we found a wonderful taverna overlooking the ship and enjoyed a leisurely lunch before taking the cable car back down. Hope this helps.

Wendy

We were on the Reflection in June 2014 and did the excursion to Oia. We enjoyed it very much. Would do it again! We tendered to busses which took us to Oia then back to Fira with a stop at a winery. The walking is through narrow streets, some uneven pavement and for us very crowded. Such a beautiful place to be! Have fun!!!

We did this cruise in 2015. Our toyr to Ola and Firs was as described here. I have a bad knee and did not find the tour to be too strenuous.

We were on the Reflection this past May. While we did private excursions for all the other ports, we did the Celebrity excursion for Santorini for the convience and would highly recommend it. It's a great cruise. Enjoy!

We have done the ship's tour and highly recommend it. You tender into Fira and the buses will be near to where the tenders come in. The bus does the climbing and the scenic drive to the beautiful Oia, IMHO one of the most scenic places I've ever been. You can walk around the cobblestoned narrow streets, but you can also just sit, have a coffee, and enjoy the view and the people watching. The stop at the winery has a breathtaking view. Wine sampling and light snacks were included in the tour cost. After the bus returns to Fira, you are given an incline rail pass which you can use immediately to return to the tender area, or you can explore Fira and return later. My husband and I just agreed that this is one the best places we've ever explored on a cruise!

We were on the Reflection this past May. While we did private excursions for all the other ports, we did the Celebrity excursion for Santorini for the convience and would highly recommend it. It's a great cruise. Enjoy!

Glad to hear this as we plan to do exactly the same (have some OBC to use :)). Hope you are well?

Yes, we are both great. We actually board the Equinox this Friday and are looking forward to Australia next Feb. the Med cruise was the best cruise we have ever been on.

Vicky

Good to hear, Vicky :). You'll love Australia. We would have tagged on another visit after our Asia experience later in the year; unfortunately, we don't have that much leave time :(.

We have been to the Med many times, on land and by sea, but have always managed to miss Santorini so we're really looking forward to seeing her at last :).

For those who take the ship's tour: when we get to Fira after Oia, we were walked up a very big hill to the main street. At the top,of the hill, to your left as you face the water is a wonderful restaurant with a balcony area that overlooks the water. We had a terrific lunch there. Found the recommendation the port of call boards.

Just to add to the mix, I've caught the "speed boat" to Oia from next to the tender station a couple of times. I put speed boat in inverted commas because it's really a larger boat. Try to sit up top if it's nice weather for a better view. For €20 it takes you along the coast to the harbour where a bus takes you up the hill to the town. You are then free to do Oia on your own and walk/shop/take pictures. The €20 includes a bus back to Fira which leaves every hour until early afternoon where you catch the cable car (not included in the price) or walk/take a donkey back down to the tender station.

Santorini is very pretty, but like a lot of these cruise ships stops it gets mobbed if there are a number of ships on a given day, somewhat exacerbated by the access. If you luck out there won't be many ships in at the time you are there. It makes a big difference.

Phil

Yes, we are both great. We actually board the Equinox this Friday and are looking forward to Australia next Feb. the Med cruise was the best cruise we have ever been on.

Vicky

Nice to know re Santorini. By coincidence we are on the same cruise as Jen (villauk). How are the Dutchmen doing?:D

Just to add to the mix, I've caught the "speed boat" to Oia from next to the tender station a couple of times. I put speed boat in inverted commas because it's really a larger boat. Try to sit up top if it's nice weather for a better view. For €20 it takes you along the coast to the harbour where a bus takes you up the hill to the town. You are then free to do Oia on your own and walk/shop/take pictures. The €20 includes a bus back to Fira which leaves every hour until early afternoon where you catch the cable car (not included in the price) or walk/take a donkey back down to the tender station.

Santorini is very pretty, but like a lot of these cruise ships stops it gets mobbed if there are a number of ships on a given day, somewhat exacerbated by the access. If you luck out there won't be many ships in at the time you are there. It makes a big difference.

Phil

We did the same 'speed boat' tour in October last year and loved it. We wandered around Oia with plenty of time to take photos and browse. We paid 15 euros, maybe because it was the end of the season.

We did the same 'speed boat' tour in October last year and loved it. We wandered around Oia with plenty of time to take photos and browse. We paid 15 euros, maybe because it was the end of the season.

Yes, I think off season it's €10, in between €15 and €20 for high season. Suited us fine. Went straight to Oia, had a good look round and by the time we started back the crowds on the ship that came in at 1pm were heading in. Glad you had fun too!

Phil

We had planned to do this, but didn't hustle to get off the ship as early as possible and watched the last boat pull out before we could buy our tickets. So if the ship's tours get all the early tenders, it may be chancy.