Wrinkles!!!!!

mrizer7773

Sooo...

First time cruiser obviously, and just experienced the look of panic in the wife's eyes when I informed her I didn't think they had, or allowed clothes irons on board our ship. I've never really been a fan of, or had luck with the steamers you can buy.

What do the experienced cruisers do for wrinkles, especially for the formal nights. (and she wasn't buying just hanging it in the bathroom during a hot shower... Haha!)

We will be on a Royal Caribbean ship...

Thanks! :D

You can have things pressed on board. However, you are correct, irons are not allowed and Royal Caribbean does not have any self service laundry facilities.

Any idea what the turn around time is if you ask for something to be pressed?

Asking for a friend.... :D

Even steamers are verboten. Here's a link to the FAQ regarding prohibited items.

Sending clothes out for pressing is the best. But check the turn around time. If you have a formal night on the first full day you may not be able to get things back in time.

There are different wrinkle release products. If DW is not happy with the results from a steamer you probably won't be happy with the wrinkle release either. Might want to give it a test run at home.

OTOH everybody else is pretty much in the same boat (pun intended). And I for one don't look to see how wrinkled someone clothes are.

No, I don't use the service.

I've heard packing clothing in the plastic bag that comes back from the dry cleaners prevents wrinkles. Bottom line, everyone is in the same boat (literally).

I haven't used the service on RCCL. On other lines we have laundry for washing ready for the steward when we go to breakfast and get it back the next day; sometimes they are back that evening. Edited by 98Charlie

Depends on the kind of steamer. If it has metal on it, it will probably be "caught" by the scanners.

Just press whatever needs it before packing. Once you're wearing the clothes in the humidity of the ocean air, even freshly pressed things will become rumpled!

Depends on the kind of steamer. If it has metal on it, it will probably be "caught" by the scanners.

Just press whatever needs it before packing. Once you're wearing the clothes in the humidity of the ocean air, even freshly pressed things will become rumpled!

I believe it depends more on the scanner operator. The cruise lines work with scanners similar to the airports. If the outline of an item is suspect the luggage will be pulled and inspected.

Out of an abundance of caution the cruise lines try to keep all items with a heating element from being used on the ships. Curling irons and hair straighteners are generally exempted.

I agree. Press well and use the dry cleaner bag trick.

Charlie

I've been flamed before on Cruise Critic for what I do.

But what the heck, I'm thick-skinned :D

And there are others who do the same.

Unpack at the earliest opportunity, put shirts etc on hangers.

In the shower is a washing-line. It's a retracting one, pull it from its location up on one side of the shower cubicle across to its hook on the other side.

Point the shower head away from the middle of the cubicle & check where the water sprays. Hang your clothes on their hangers on the washing line. Carefully turn on the shower at its hottest, making sure you're not going to soak your clothes.

Pull the curtain across & you have your giant steamer.

Run the shower for about 20- to 30- minutes. The travel wrinkles will drop out. :cool:

JB :)

Hi,

The cruise lines ban some electrical goods for a reason, they can be a fire hazard. It is irresponsible to try and smuggle items that aren't allowed.

The safety of the passengers, crew and ship would be jeopardised if there were a fire.

Pete

I've been flamed before on Cruise Critic for what I do.

But what the heck, I'm thick-skinned :D

And there are others who do the same.

Unpack at the earliest opportunity, put shirts etc on hangers.

In the shower is a washing-line. It's a retracting one, pull it from its location up on one side of the shower cubicle across to its hook on the other side.

Point the shower head away from the middle of the cubicle & check where the water sprays. Hang your clothes on their hangers on the washing line. Carefully turn on the shower at its hottest, making sure you're not going to soak your clothes.

Pull the curtain across & you have your giant steamer.

Run the shower for about 20- to 30- minutes. The travel wrinkles will drop out. :cool:

Who would flame you for that? :confused: Shower steaming has been a cruising trick-of-the-trade for as long as I can remember.

To begin, leave the cottons and items needing ironing at home.Think poly for dresses, knit pants etc. I always pack at last minute to prevent wrinkles unpack first thing upon embarkation. Anything slightly wrinkled hung in shower.

Who would flame you for that? :confused: Shower steaming has been a cruising trick-of-the-trade for as long as I can remember.

Oh it happened, believe me. ;)

Something about killing polar bears and bankrupting cruise lines :rolleyes: :D

JB :)

I make my own wrinkle release. I dilute liquid fabric softener with water and putn in a small spray bottle. Same as Downy Wrinkle release

And yes hanging clothes in bathroom helps. There is usually a drawstring clotheslines

Sent from my B1-730HD using Tapatalk

Edited by LMaxwell

I don't worry about wrinkles. Most modern fabrics are pretty wrinkle free. Not exactly that starched and ironed look of former times, but softer and more comfortable and good for me.

Edited by jamessemaj

I don't worry about wrinkles. Most modern fabrics are pretty wrinkle free. Not exactly that starched and ironed look of former times, but softer and more comfortable and good for me.

Wrinkled-Clothes1.jpg

We take wrinkle free or less clothes. We roll some clothes which decreases the risk of wrinkles, we also fold my suit and shirts and such so that they remain wrinkle free. There are you tube videos that demonstrate these methods, Google is also a good friend.:D

Two suggestions

Hang them in the bathroom while you shower, the steam works wonders.

Or wrinkle release in a spray bottle, there is a ommercial one or fabric conditioner and water in a spray bottle.

Works pretty well.