Mini Suite versus Standard Balcony

volsfan918

I have a question. We are currently booked for a may 14 sailing, Alaska Inside Passage, on the Star Princess. We have a standard balcony on the Aloha deck, deck 12, with a $300 on board credit. We have the option of changing to a mini suite on the Dolphin deck, deck 9, for the same price but I'll lose my on board credit. What is everyone's opinion of the mini suite. Do you think it would be worth dropping to a lower deck and losing my on board credit. Please help!!! We've never sailed Princess before so I really don't know what to expect.

I have a question. We are currently booked for a may 14 sailing, Alaska Inside Passage, on the Star Princess. We have a standard balcony on the Aloha deck, deck 12, with a $300 on board credit. We have the option of changing to a mini suite on the Dolphin deck, deck 9, for the same price but I'll lose my on board credit. What is everyone's opinion of the mini suite. Do you think it would be worth dropping to a lower deck and losing my on board credit. Please help!!! We've never sailed Princess before so I really don't know what to expect.

The name mini suite should not have the name suite in it at all.

Slightly larger cabin with a sofa and bath/shower combo.

The balcony is larger but if you had a reg balcony cabin on Caribe deck the balcony is slightly larger then a mini.

IMO......

Keep your obc and stay in your current cabin unless you can get one on Caribe deck.

The Dolphin deck mini's are completely uncovered and the folks above you can see down onto the balcony. For Alaska, you never know what kind of weather you will have but rain is almost a given at any time.

For me, I would not change from what you currently have.

If you are cruising Alaska you will be more likely to be out on deck enjoying all of the view not just the one side your cabin is on. The extra space with the sofa and not having to sit on the bed every time you enter the cabin is wonderful. It's also nice having the two TV's . One person can be sitting on the sofa and not disturb the other on the bed. And having an extra large bathroom is a plus with lots of counter space. Depending on the location of the mini we would consider taking the mini if the price was right.

The extra space in the cabin and bathroom is so worth it to us.

We love having a mini-suite on Dolphin Deck as close to the mid-ship elevator lobby as possible. :)

For $300, I would jump on that in a heartbeat. If it is raining, you simply can enjoy the views from your living area. The Aloha deck balconies are not that special (Caribe deck is another story). It is a 14 night cruise, as you say, so the balcony cabins can be a little cramped for that length of time.

For anything longer than a 3-5 day cruise, I would always opt for a "mini suite". To us, the additional space of the sitting area with TV, sofa, chair and coffee table, plus bathroom with full tub/shower, and large closet space are worth the extra cost. I can't imagine having to sit on the bed to enjoy a coffee or room service meal. :)

...VTX-Al

The Dolphin deck mini's are completely uncovered and the folks above you can see down onto the balcony. For Alaska, you never know what kind of weather you will have but rain is almost a given at any time.

For me, I would not change from what you currently have.

I concur...

Star Princess = great ship! My first Princess cruise was on her 3rd voyage way back when...:D On a 14-day cruise to Alaska where you'll likely be packing additional "warm" clothes, I would definitely make the switch. You'll have more stuff and appreciate the extra room. The additional space in the bathroom and tub vs. tiny shower is enough to sway me, but the 14-day factor would be the deciding ticket. I love having the extra storage space, and sofa & coffee table vs. just the chair. But hey, this is just my opinion.

I would switch to a mini suite in a second. To just have a nice size sofa to watch TV and read and not sit on that bed all the time. Nicer bathroom, more room to move around and for 14 days, for sure.

I think you made the right decision sticking with a covered balcony because the Dolphin mini suites are all 100% UNcovered, and in Alaska, that could put you in the rain a lot! The mini suites on Emerald would be covered and wonderful, though. Personally, I'd keep your balcony and OBC and use it for an awesome excursion!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We usually book a mini... so that tells you a lot. We have abut 25 cruises on Princess. By the way, the mini suite cabin on Princess ships is called 'suite" on the Queen Mary 2. We book the mini because we enjoy having a bath tub vs simply a shower, also like the sofa next to the balcony sliding doors, so we can sit and look outside comfortable even in cool weather.

Only you can decide which is better for you, mini or $300 obc.

When we went to Alaska, went on the Pacific Princess... so did not have the typical mini suite. We used our balcony a lot... vs being up on open decks to take in the scenery... but we don't like crowds... once again it depend on what you want.

You don't need a mini to enjoy Alaska or any cruise.

By way we typical cruise Princess, Holland America, Cunard, Celebrity now... have been on 9 different cruise lines and over 50 cruises in the past 30 years...

Enjoy your cruise and Alaska.

Had a Mimi suite on our Alaska cruise and spent very little time in the room and rarely went out on the balcony.

Spent most of the time on the aft deck watching a panoramic view!

At the end of the day it is a personal choice. When I did an Alaska cruise it was with a Dolphin Mini Suite. It was uncovered which was not ideal during the day in glacier bay, but the cold was more of an issue than the wet. I enjoyed the extra space as we spent a lot of time in the cabin. It was nice to run outside enjoy the view and once I got cold run back inside and go downstairs to get a coffee. A $300 upgrade doesn't sound too bad of a deal.

Personally I'd stick with the balcony and OBC.

Had a Mimi suite on our Alaska cruise and spent very little time in the room and rarely went out on the balcony.

Spent most of the time on the aft deck watching a panoramic view!

In which case you maybe better offin an inside or OV.

We use our cabin a lot, so for us a balcony is a no brainier.

Looks like from what I've gathered, it would seem a "mini suite" on a Princess ship offers the same amount of room as a Holland America ship?

Booked on Star Princess in a balcony (only for 4 nts) and it would seem the cabin is smaller than on Island Princess?

Yes I've noticed that different ships have different cabin sizes, though the difference isn't massive. I do think the difference between a mini and a standard balcony seems big enough to make a difference to me. However, I can't say if someone would rather have the larger room over the covered balcony, especially in Alaska.

In which case you maybe better offin an inside or OV.

We use our cabin a lot, so for us a balcony is a no brainier.

Would be willing to give up the couch but never the balcony. 😃

I think you made the right decision sticking with a covered balcony because the Dolphin mini suites are all 100% UNcovered, and in Alaska, that could put you in the rain a lot! The mini suites on Emerald would be covered and wonderful, though. Personally, I'd keep your balcony and OBC and use it for an awesome excursion!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree with you.

We always book the Emerald deck mini's as we have our teenage daughter with us.

All of them were already booked back in November for Thanksgiving week 2016 so we went with Carnival this time. I'll keep checking though as we would rather sail Princess.