Bathroom and cleaning products be careful

ARI421

Just a warning so hopefully others can avoid my discomfort and learn from my stupidity! I went into a stall that had just been cleaned! Friendly woman told me it was all set, there was blue cleaner at the bottom of the toilet, I thought nothing of it and flushed and peed. Soon after I developed a horrid rash, doctor said it looked like I had been in contact with harsh chemicals, had to go back to doctor today as I developed a fever from infection from scratching, it started on Friday and I didn't get off the ship till yesterday. Just a warning if the toilets just been cleaned wipe it down or layer up the toilet paper!!!

OMG - this sounded similar and/or related to another "incident" on NCL - while SuiteCruiser was doing the Escape Transatlantic, where she literally - apparently - got burned - had the pain in the bun, after sitting in her stateroom's bathtub :eek: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2274439&page=7

There's a followup thread / posting about NCL's responses but I can't seem to come up with it on the search.

Back on topic - was this incident reported while you were onboard and/or seen by the ship's doctor, or, did you do this after coming home/getting off the ship.

Probably another isolated incident - but, not for the unlikely person coming into contacts with the unsafe chemicals, unknowingly and without fair warning. It sounded like cleaning chemicals were not properly diluted and/or use - and, protocols and guideliens on using them safely need to be reviewed. :rolleyes: ;) - and, that crews need to a refresher training.

Probably another isolated incident - but, not for the unlikely person coming into contacts with the unsafe chemicals, unknowingly and without fair warning. It sounded like cleaning chemicals were not properly diluted and/or use - and, protocols and guideliens on using them safely need to be reviewed. :rolleyes: ;) - and, that crews need to a refresher training.

That's what I was thinking as well. :(

Freshly cleaned doesn't always mean they were safely cleaned.

Edited by OCruisers

Did you FLUSH..THEN PEE? While sitting there? Why did you do that?

All toilets produce "spray"..that's why home toilets have lids...so you can close them before flushing to decrease the "spray"....

Ummm no I flushed the chemicals down first, before sitting I assume some was on the seat I didn't see or sprayed up though the seat. There was no seat covers available

Did you FLUSH..THEN PEE? While sitting there? Why did you do that?

All toilets produce "spray"..that's why home toilets have lids...so you can close them before flushing to decrease the "spray"....

Don't you have to shut the lid to be able to flush on the ships? I don't remember ever being able to get to the flush button without closing the lid.

I also would probably not use a paper seat if it was just cleaned......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought of SuiteCruiser's experience when I read this. And thanks to both ladies for sharing these sensitive stories to try to help the rest of us out. I'll definitely be wiping the seat with TP just to safe!

And this is probably like insects in your house...if you see three there are ten you don't see. I'm sure this has happened to other women who were too embarrassed to mention it...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by helen haywood

I thought of SuiteCruiser's experience when I read this. And thanks to both ladies for sharing these sensitive stories to try to help the rest of us out. I'll definitely be wiping the seat with TP just to safe!

And this is probably like insects in your house...if you see three there are ten you don't see. I'm sure this has happened to other women who were too embarrassed to mention it...

Thanks! I posted to help people, what's up with comments like didn't you use a seat cover? Geesh!

I am sorry to hear bout the OP's discomfort and situation. I find the positive side to this story. Call me crazy but I am thankful for the strongest chemicals to clean cruise ships. There are thousands of people every day getting on and off the ship and use the restrooms. I say the stronger the chemical cleaner and bleach....the better for everyone.

Edited by david_sobe

Ummm no I flushed the chemicals down first, before sitting I assume some was on the seat I didn't see or sprayed up though the seat. There was no seat covers available

If no covers I always use some TP to wipe the seat, then strips of fresh TP to line the seat.

Don't you have to shut the lid to be able to flush on the ships? I don't remember ever being able to get to the flush button without closing the lid.

I also would probably not use a paper seat if it was just cleaned......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the Spirit I came across some automatic ones that would flush themselves...and the lid was open...

If no covers I always use some TP to wipe the seat, then strips of fresh TP to line the seat.

If it's the same thing that happened to me, a tub full of water didn't dilute it, it stayed on the surface of the bathtub.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't use a seat cover in the bathroom in my cabin. It could just as easily happened to the OP there and not in the public bathroom.

Thanks to the OP's for the warnings. No one should ever flush while sitting and without the lid being down. Even if no chemicals are in the water, your backside, and everything else in the vicinity, would still be getting a spray down of whatever germs lurk within.

I know Medtech2 would never do this, but I absolutely hate it when I enter a stall to find the seat still swathed in someone else's toilet paper. They are way too fastidious to sit without paper, but they apparently have no problem with letting the next person remove their mess.

I always "hover," but thanks for the warning!!

Well, I didn't want to talk about it, but you bring up another thing even worse than those who don't de-swaddle, and that is the seat tinklers who leave large droplets behind for the next unsuspecting person to sit in. And your name is so appropriate!:).

Edited by punkincc

Well, I didn't want to talk about it, but you bring up another thing even worse than those who don't de-swaddle, and that is the seat tinklers who leave large droplets behind for the next unsuspecting person to sit in. And your name is so appropriate!:).

That's where my personal bottle of "washy washy happy happy" comes in handy. Squeeze a bit onto the seat, wipe with TP, and voila! No more sprinkles.