My Booked Cruise Has Disappeared

VivianK

I booked the Western Med. 10 night cruise Sept 4th, 2017 back in January. I checked to see if the price had changed and it wasn't on the website. I called my TA(big box store) and she couldn't find it either. She called Celebrity and they told her it was sold out.

I knew that couldn't be so I requested that my TA ask the Celebrity rep. to speak to the supervisor because it did not sound right and is it possible they chartered the cruise. After checking further, the Celebrity rep. said it was taken out of inventory because either it was being chartered or there was a large group contract pending. I was told that when they know more I will be notified. No indication when that will happen. This is horrendous customer service.

I already purchased insurance (not Celebrity's insurance) in order to waive pre-existing conditions. It had to be purchased within 21 days of booking. They could have me on hold

for months. BTW, they said the large booking could take up hundreds of rooms.

Anyone else have this issue? Thanks for your input.

Lets hope that there are no problems with your booking!

The major problem with Celebrity (and some other cruiselines) is the fact that a cruise is disappearing from the web site if it's sold out or prebooked (?)by larger groups. That raises a lot of concerns for guests with existing bookings - is it chartered or just fully booked?

And a cruise that doesn't show isn't to been seen for someone that might be interested of it... No reason to get back and check if you don't now that it exist.

Can't understand why they don't list the cruise as "sold out" - with additional info to get back and check status now and then. Should be as easy as taking it away completly....

Edited by sollan

Is it Equinox and is it possibly an Atlantis charter? It has happened over the last few years that Atlantis have chartered the ship during August in the Med. I know you mentioned September, but in previous years this has meant other weeks have been readjusted to accommodate the charter. Only surmising, not a definite ;).

Thread from last year:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46884332&highlight=atlantis#post46884332

Edited by villauk

I've just checked and X are only showing the first two 7 night sailings at the start of August 2017 on Equinox, the other sailings have now disappeared. So, it does look likely that she's chartered again and they are reconfiguring the dates and sailings. The September 4th sailing is still showing for booking though, it could mean that your sailing may not be altered - but who knows with X?

I don't think it's sold out. In the past I have noticed that if an itinerary is sold out it will still be visible on the website. They will just post sold out under each stateroom category. Think of it logically. Does a cruise really sell out. Celebrity has know idea who will cancel before final payment. If they remove the itinerary it wouldn't leave any chance for passengers to book the cancelations. The fact that your TA has no idea if it's sold out is also telling me it's a charter.

Is it Equinox and is it possibly an Atlantis charter? It has happened over the last few years that Atlantis have chartered the ship during August in the Med. I know you mentioned September, but in previous years this has meant other weeks have been readjusted to accommodate the charter. Only surmising, not a definite ;).

Thread from last year:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46884332&highlight=atlantis#post46884332

What are the other times periods does this group chartered a cruise ship?

My booking is on the Silhouette-Sept 4th,2017-Western Med. It is definitely not sold out. My problem is they have not been definitive-whether it is a charter and whether or not I will be on this cruise. If it's a charter I will be contacted but not they're not saying when that will happen.

Thanks again.

Sorry for OP(fellow long islander)....and any othrs who may be affected ( even if only by uncertainty)

we were kept dangling for months on an ABC Island cruise on Infinity for fall 2016, and were given all sorts of excuses and wrong info, while a contract was being negotiated for a big Convention group that uses the ship as a hotel. We jumped ship ( bad pun) and paid $100 more while good rooms were still available on an alternate date for this popular itin...

Shortly thereafter, X finally cancelled sev itin..Pacific coast/Alaska(?), a Panama Canal and the ABC we had been on....caused a big shuffle... I recently learned that the contract never went through or was cancelled....so all that misery for cruisers who were kept in the dark and then shuffled along was for no good reason. The new itins were already done, so no going back...

Loking forward to our replacement ABC cruise in Oct...hope no snafus...we.booked a Pacific Coastal next yr on Infin for same time period and reserved two sep dates...just in case one is cancelled. We may do both but hope at least one works out.

Hope things work out for OP, but you will only know when the cruiseline has their plans locked in...your concerns are not theirs sorry to say! They care not abt your air, hotel, pre cruise visits, ins or other plans .

Edited by hcat

hcat, thank you for all the info. I did look at other cruises right away. I guess I'll give it a few weeks and check again. I'm not feeling wam and fuzzy about X at the moment. One has no idea once they book if they are really going. Do they do this on other cruise lines?

My booking is on the Silhouette-Sept 4th,2017-Western Med. It is definitely not sold out. My problem is they have not been definitive-whether it is a charter and whether or not I will be on this cruise. If it's a charter I will be contacted but not they're not saying when that will happen.

Thanks again.

They will never disclose that information until the charter is set in stone. I would search for a backup cruise even if it means looking at another line. There have been a lot of these charter threads on the Celebrity board lately. It doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth and it certainly doesn't compel me to book something so far out. I know other lines charter ships but it seems to be happening more and more on Celebrity.

hcat, thank you for all the info. I did look at other cruises right away. I guess I'll give it a few weeks and check again. I'm not feeling wam and fuzzy about X at the moment. One has no idea once they book if they are really going. Do they do this on other cruise lines?

Yes, other lines do it too. We were booked on a b2b with HAL three years ago and lost the first leg to a charter. Fortunately, it was one of those repeating itineraries and we were able do the original second leg first, followed by the replaced first leg. Luckily, our cabin was still available for the new second leg. In our case, our TA informed well in advance and before we had booked flights, hotels, etc., so it really had no impact on us, and they did add some minor OBC for the inconvenience.

Edited by Fouremco

What does Celebrity do for you if they cancel your cruise and you already booked non-refundable air?

Probably nothing unless the cruise is cancelled close to the sailing. However, it's your air, not theirs. Airlines offer a rebooking with a wave fee, and your cruise insurance should take care of that fee.

And a cruise booked more than a year out is "up there" for changes. Celebrity has the right to change. Look at the contract.

Insurance can be changed to another cruise with most companies.

Yes, they do!

What does Celebrity do for you if they cancel your cruise and you already booked non-refundable air?

$200 obc against another booking but you are on your own with the non refundable airfare. I agree it's really annoying. We had a cruise cancelled due to a charter but fortunately had not booked flights.

Changing a reservation is one thing but what I despise is the lack of communication. No wonder cruise lines are scrambling for customers. Some lines are now starting to go the all-inclusive route, including drinks and internet. Please let us know how you make out with the insurance company.

Over a year ago we booked a cruise on the Equinox for April 2017. It hasn't shown on the Celebrity web site for over three months. Excuse we were given was it was a problem on their website that would be fixed in a few days. Three months are slightly more then a few days. Last time I checked it still wasn't showing up. I got tired of wondering and replaced that cruise with a 14 night cruise to Alaska in May 2017 on NCL. And moved the deposit on the Equinox cruise to the Silhouette in late November 2017. I hope the Equinox cruise does go because it is a great ship but I just figured I would be happier not worrying about it.

Agree with others that IF a charter is "in the works", Celebrity isn't going to disclose any info until the charter contract is signed and complete. Once that happens, then they will start the notification process of those affected. But in the meantime, until the contract is signed by both parties, Celebrity takes the sailing off sale to avoid new bookings from taking place.

Fortunately, since this is a September 2017 sailing it's too early for anyone to book/confirm air arrangements until several months down the road.

Airlines offer a rebooking with a wave fee, and your cruise insurance should take care of that fee.

Insurance can be changed to another cruise with most companies.

This is an either/or. If you claim the airline change fee against the insurance, you have used the policy and therefore can't transfer it to another cruise. Compare the cost of the policy against the airline fee to know which is the better option.

If we waited til the actual cancellation, we might have saved the extra cost for the other date, and received a small obc .... we just became tired of the uncertainty so we jumped ahead...

Felt worse when I learned just a short while ago that the charter fell thru...but not in time to undo the changed itins anyhow, so for us it worked out ok...hopefully!

We recently were notified by Princess that it was cancelling a Pacific Coastal we had booked...and they took a large deposit...Luckily, Celeb added a similar itin on Inf so we booked that.,..all lines seem to do it...money is the issue.....and a charter apparently guarantees the ship is filled...

Hope it works out for you...Happy Sails!

Edited by hcat

Changing a reservation is one thing but what I despise is the lack of communication. No wonder cruise lines are scrambling for customers. Some lines are now starting to go the all-inclusive route, including drinks and internet. Please let us know how you make out with the insurance company.

The Insurance company said I could switch and they will carry over the fee.

I did, however speak to someone at X who said they were doing "Inventory Maintenance" and it should be back up very soon. I'm going to give it a few weeks because I loved the itinerary and then jump ship. I appreciate all the input!

I've just checked and X are only showing the first two 7 night sailings at the start of August 2017 on Equinox, the other sailings have now disappeared. So, it does look likely that she's chartered again and they are reconfiguring the dates and sailings. The September 4th sailing is still showing for booking though, it could mean that your sailing may not be altered - but who knows with X?

The Equinox 4th Sept Barcelona to Rome is available to book on the .co.uk site although it is 12 nights not 10. Hope this helps.

Edited by Ebbwboy