Can you cancel gratuities on golden princess?????

portcbob

Hi golden cruisers.

Just wondering when you get onboard can you cancel your gratuities and pay your own tipping????????

Regards bob.

This recently locked thread will give you all the answers you need to your question.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2314767&highlight=tipping

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I thought that the Golden, while based in Oz didn't have gratuities. Aren't they just covered in your fare like on the Dawn?

Correct if

Booked in Australia and sailing o and from Australia, in which case no grats to cancel, but if not in that category, and grats charged they can be removed.

Yes, that is correct, so if the cruise starts AND ends in Aus/NZ AND you booked your cruise in Aus/NZ you can't remove gratuities.

If you booked from e.g. the US then you will have the daily hotel charges applied to your account and, presumably, you can do whatever you like about those charges.

If you are on a Golden repositioning cruise, such as the upcoming one to Hong Kong, then gratuities are added to the fare, either as a daily hotel charge or you can choose to prepay them. If they are a daily charge you could choose to remove them but that usually ends up being unfair to the hard-working crew that help to make your cruise enjoyable.

For all the negative answers to my question. I absolutely think the staff should get more money. I believe my own personal tips I hand out could???? Be more beneficial to them. I have read some horror stories where the pre paid gratuities may not get to t the employees working on the ship. I also believe it is also more personnel. Don't have to bash me up over this, just my thoughts.

Cheers bob.

Edited by portcbob

For all the negative answers to my question. I absolutely think the staff should get more money. I believe my own personal tips I hand out could???? Be more beneficial to them. I have read some horror stories where the pre paid gratuities may not get to t the employees working on the ship. I also believe it is also more personnel. Don't have to bash me up over this, just my thoughts.

Cheers bob.

One thing to consider is that some of the people that are party to the tipping pool stay largely behind the scenes.

The staff that clean your rooms, serve your drinks at the bar, serve your meals in the dining room etc. are only one portion of the entire crew that works hard to cater to your needs as a guest on board.

I would suggest if one wants to increase their tips to do so through the tipping pool. Or if wanting to acknowledge a particular individual for exemplary service with a gift, to do that in addition to the suggested daily gratuities by discreetly handing them some cash or other form of gift.

Cheers bob.

Not sure re the Australian cruises, but in general, for Princess, this is not how it works and I'm guessing if you look on that link provided by Colo Cruiser, you'll realize that the crew members get the auto grats and not Princess. But, if you remove them and give your steward and wait staff cash, they have to turn the money in to their supervisors to be pooled. So they actually will get less. And when you remove the tips, the crew members might get asked what they did to displease you.

Not sure re the Australian cruises' date=' but in general, for Princess, this is not how it works and I'm guessing if you look on that link provided by Colo Cruiser, you'll realize that the crew members get the auto grats and not Princess. But, if you remove them and give your steward and wait staff cash, they have to turn the money in to their supervisors to be pooled. So they actually will get less. And when you remove the tips, the crew members might get asked what they did to displease you.

Correct, and that is what all of the other responses to the OP's question did not say.

Edited by caribill

Cheers bob.

If it were truly an issue there wouldn't be (tipped) crew with 20+ years onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I believe my own personal tips I hand out could???? Be more beneficial to them. I have read some horror stories where the pre paid gratuities may not get to t the employees working on the ship. I also believe it is also more personnel.

Hi Bob...

Your decision to remove auto-tips and tip directly is based on some incorrect assumptions. As mentioned above, auto-tips will be distributed to personnel who serve you...even those you do not come in contact with. I've never heard of the horror stories you mention.

If you leave the auto-tips intact, any additional cash tips you give to staff will be turned in, but will be returned to them when it's confirmed your auto-tips were left intact. If you remove auto-tips, cash tips will be turned in to become part of the same pool funded by other's auto-tips.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

Cheers bob.

Clearly, this is a widely distributed topic. You really just have to decide for yourself what's the best amount and who to tip. You could also let the big corporation decide for you and use the auto-gratuities. Personally, I think the crew gets to keep the cash tips you give them whether or not you remove the auto-gratuities. Of course, people will have problem with this thinking also. We have experimented with it and found that some of the tip pre-cruise and some through out is the best form of action. We hope that even if they do have to pool the tips, they would only pool the last portion and keep the lion's share we have distributed to them through the trip. We generally give more than the suggested amount which is purely up to you.

Edited by Tripper10

Clearly, this is a widely distributed topic. You really just have to decide for yourself what's the best amount and who to tip. You could also let the big corporation decide for you and use the auto-gratuities. Personally, I think the crew gets to keep the cash tips you give them whether or not you remove the auto-gratuities. Of course, people will have problem with this thinking also. We have experimented with it and found that some of the tip pre-cruise and some through out is the best form of action. We hope that even if they do have to pool the tips, they would only pool the last portion and keep the lion's share we have distributed to them through the trip. We generally give more than the suggested amount which is purely up to you.

Believe what you choose to, but be aware that if you cancel the auto tips, you ARE cheating those whose service to you is behind the scenes and below the decks, and who are part of those whose incomes are enhanced thru the tipping pool, which is funded by OUR auto tips.

Believe what you choose to, but be aware that if you cancel the auto tips, you ARE cheating those whose service to you is behind the scenes and below the decks, and who are part of those whose incomes are enhanced thru the tipping pool, which is funded by OUR auto tips.

Either or is fine. Tipping is direct service not behind the scenes personal. If the main waiter or steward wants to split thier gratuities, that's on them to choose.

Either or is fine. Tipping is direct service not behind the scenes personal. If the main waiter or steward wants to split thier gratuities, that's on them to choose.

More misinformation...

It's not up to crew whether to split thier [sIC] gratuities!

Take a few moments to following the link posted by GUT2407 in post 3 above.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

It would seem that most who are replying to this thread are not taking the time to read this link.

Read Section E. It doesn't matter whether you remove the auto-gratuities or not. All cash given directly to the crew must be turned in and made a part of the auto-gratuity pool.

RocketMan, that link is not from an official Princess site and the document has no sourcing. If you go to the "About Us" part of the site, you'll find that it is run by just a bunch if people who are trying to help...

It is likely to be as accurate as many posts here on Cruise Critic! :)

If it were truly an issue there wouldn't be (tipped) crew with 20+ years onboard.

You have to be 21 to work onboard.

To have 20+ years of experience you would have to be 41+

I have seen very, very few crew members over 40.

Most come for a while. Either save up for a house at home,

or get married, and move on.