NORO and the NEW BEDDING CONCERNS

mellon1

Fabrics are not a good conductor of Noro. While it CAN happen, the odds of contracting it via this issue are extremely slim (remember, Noro generally needs to be ingested or otherwise enter the body). I feel safe assuming that if someone vomits on the comforter it will be changed and washed appropriately.

There are pathogens I could see a concern about transmittal, but noro in this case is not one of them.

It is if its vomited/urinated/pooped on.

I travel ALOT & stay in nice hotels. They have been doing the comforter/sheet sandwich for years!

I've also been dismanteling hotel/cabin beds, for years. (ever since bed bugs were more prevalent.)

NOW people are concerned about Noro, or cleanliness of comforters.

I don't blame you.

Whether bedspread or Comforter, I always dismantle the bed, and make it up totally different! With a bedspread, I pull it off, and toss in the corner.

With the Sheet/Comforter sandwich?

I take the comforter OUT of the sheets, fold comforter half, against the mattress, and put the sheets On Top of it. This makes the mattress alittle more comfortable, and I do NOT use the comforter, except to sleep On top of. I do Not come into contact with it.

I use sheets only & towels as my blanket! Sometimes a Robe on bottom.

On the ship, I use the Pool towels (theyre bigger) inbetween

the sheets, as my blanket. (works out fine cuz the comforter is usually too warm for me anyways.)

This may not make sense, unless you try it. But I've figured out a better way of making the bed. I don't worry about blankets/bedspreads or comforter. They are OUT OF USE. (I do this at Every hotel I stay. Most 4-5 star)

THEN I put a Note ON Top of the sheets & ask Housekeeping/steward, NOT TO Touch bed, or change it. It works.

Too many germa phobics - I doubt the NORO would live that long to infect the next cruise....just chill...

From the CDC:

Norovirus can stay on objects and surfaces and still infect people for days or weeks.

Amazes me that some people ever leave their houses. New bedding is fine with me.

Can't wait till June to try new bedding and see what all the fuss is about. Got to be better than some of the places I stayed in my twenties when travelling. (That was a long time ago) lol.

I find it hard to believe they don't wash or dry clean the comforters. i'm wondering how people know this. Did you ask your room steward about this? If he said it wasn't washed or cleaned I would tell him to remove it and bring me one that has been cleaned. The old ones were washed every exchange day, does not make sense for Princess to change this. I'm not a germ freak but if someone can end up sleeping with this next to there body it needs to be cleaned. I don't think the health department would approve this. I will definitely ask about this on my next cruise on the Ruby in 4 weeks.

I find it hard to believe they don't wash or dry clean the comforters. i'm wondering how people know this. Did you ask your room steward about this? If he said it wasn't washed or cleaned I would tell him to remove it and bring me one that has been cleaned. The old ones were washed every exchange day, does not make sense for Princess to change this. I'm not a germ freak but if someone can end up sleeping with this next to there body it needs to be cleaned. I don't think the health department would approve this. I will definitely ask about this on my next cruise on the Ruby in 4 weeks.

Yes I did ask, and the old comforters were not washed every turnaround day either. They were fully encased in a cover that was washed every three days and on turnaround days.

The comforters take up too much space to have two complete sets on the ship. They don't have that kind of storage (especially since so many lockers have been made over for passenger cabins). I'm sure that, in the case of code red noro, they would simply delay boarding long enough to launder them all.

My concern is less noro specific and more about germs in general. My comforter was up around my face every morning without a cover and I had pneumonia while I was on the ship. Honestly, a blanket that could be more easily stored and laundered would be preferable.

The room stewards HATE the new bedding. Instead of dealing with one piece (possibly two if a top sheet is requested) they now have three to straighten twice a day. I guess it's really bad in the upper bunks. Except for when the bed is freshly made, they never look neat and smooth as they (I'm sure) were intended to. The stewards claim they might work in a hotel where people don't spend a lot of time in their room, but on a cruise ship with no other chairs to sit on, they look messy most of the time.

DH chalked it up to "some HGTV designer who has never stepped foot on a cruise ship". (DH hates being told what he should like or not like based on trends).

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

And to confuse things further, my in-laws were told on the Ruby last week that the new comforters ARE washed between each cruise! They don't believe that, though. I want to believe that they wash them between cruises, but I do question whether they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

What would be the difference between the comforter and a blanket?? You certainly come into contact with a blanket. We just got off the Regal from a b2b......the comforter was changed out on turnaround day.

:eek:Unacceptable!! I will be bringing my own duvet cover which will cover the comforter and is washable. This is what we use at home and is much more sanitary. The thought of sleeping with a comforter or blanket that was on someone else's (hopefully washed) nude body is beyond me. My mother always warned me not to sit down on public toilets and to me this is much the same. :eek::eek:

Edited by Duffysmom

Yes I did ask, and the old comforters were not washed every turnaround day either. They were fully encased in a cover that was washed every three days and on turnaround days.

The comforters take up too much space to have two complete sets on the ship. They don't have that kind of storage (especially since so many lockers have been made over for passenger cabins). I'm sure that, in the case of code red noro, they would simply delay boarding long enough to launder them all.

My concern is less noro specific and more about germs in general. My comforter was up around my face every morning without a cover and I had pneumonia while I was on the ship. Honestly, a blanket that could be more easily stored and laundered would be preferable.

The room stewards HATE the new bedding. Instead of dealing with one piece (possibly two if a top sheet is requested) they now have three to straighten twice a day. I guess it's really bad in the upper bunks. Except for when the bed is freshly made, they never look neat and smooth as they (I'm sure) were intended to. The stewards claim they might work in a hotel where people don't spend a lot of time in their room, but on a cruise ship with no other chairs to sit on, they look messy most of the time.

I should have said cover washed and not comforter. I know they washed the outside cover of the old comforters every turn around day and during the cruise. The inside is fine not to clean it does not come in contact with you and they would be ruined if washed all the time. We only wash the cover at home of our comforters. The insides are down filled and don't take to washing very good. Send them out maybe twice a year for cleaning. Sounds like the new comforters are different and are 1 piece. They must be cleaning them. I don't think anyone would like this.

It's a hotel....you know the risks. If you think you did or didn't get noro, or any other thing, because of the sheets or covers on a cruise you are wrong.

We DID NOT GET NORO. Sorry if my message displayed that. It was on our floor. What about the person in that room after that person??? That's my concern. Next cruise, there were other people in that room, Noro again, same room. Just saying. There is no way to wash the comforter.

DH chalked it up to "some HGTV designer who has never stepped foot on a cruise ship". (DH hates being told what he should like or not like based on trends).

Jeannie,

You are TOTALLY right. We also were onboard as you were for a long period and ACTUALLY OBSERVED TURNAROUND and how it was done. These were not changed out...same ones used without being washed.

:eek:Unacceptable!! I will be bringing my own duvet cover which will cover the comforter and is washable. This is what we use at home and is much more sanitary. The thought of sleeping with a comforter or blanket that was on someone else's (hopefully washed) nude body is beyond me. My mother always warned me not to sit down on public toilets and to me this is much the same. :eek::eek:

Your mom was a very smart woman.

We actually observed the comforters NOT being changed out as we were on turnaround for multiple B2Bs. We were in the rooms checking out balconies, etc. for future cruises and they were not changed out.

Another thing, many people do not say they have noro. We witnessed this as someone vomited on Deck 17 by the sanctuary and down the stairs by the spa pool. The elevator was closed and the hazmat people were cleaning up People were walking through this area and in the pool. This person never said they had an accident. Yep, that ended my pool day.

Can the "dirty" comforters fit in the laundromat washers? If so,then problem solved??

Maybe the first order of business upon arriving in the cabin is to take these comforters straight to the guest laundry? Small price to pay for cleanliness.

Works for me!

Whenever I stay in a hotel, the comforter is the first thing to go! I don't even want to touch it to move it to the closet. Many hotels clean them once a month. Disgusting!

Even pillows gross me out, as the cover is very thin. But I deal with it because I don't pack my pillow to fly. I bring it when doing road trips though.

From the CDC:

Norovirus can stay on objects and surfaces and still infect people for days or weeks.

Yes it can... but the rest of the article says: You can become infected with norovirus by accidentally getting stool or vomit from infected people in your mouth. This usually happens by eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus,

touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus then putting your fingers in your mouth, or

having contact with someone who is infected with norovirus (for example, caring for or sharing food or eating utensils with someone with norovirus illness).

You are safe unless you suck your thumb!

There are thousands of places to get it on a ship... Bedding is probably the least of your worries!

Edited by Nanaoften

This is the new linen configuration:

-bottom sheet (of course)

-top sheet

-lightweight comforter

-bed cover. This is the slightest bit heavier than the top sheet. It has a pocket flap at the top with about an 18" fold over. The comforter tucks into this at the top only and all the layers are tucked under the mattress at the bottom.

The sheets feel very luxurious, but everything is a bit slippery causing the layers of linen to become jumbled. Some people can fall asleep and remain in that one position all night. We are not those people. For us, invariably, the comforter came out from the bed cover flap. The majority of the bed cover fell off the bed onto the floor during the night, staying in place only where it was tucked in, and leaving the comforter exposed.

I wished they'd used the new fabric but as a full duvet cover. People wishing to have a top sheet could still request one, and it would be more clean and comfortable, with the commendable benefit of removing the onerous bed making caused by the new linens from the steward's job.

Hopefully the bedding will become less slippery once it's been wash a few times.

I still prefer a clean-sheet covered comforter to those nasty synthetic blankets and bedspreads that were once used in most hotels.

Simple suggestion - take a few large safety pins with you. Ensure the top sheet is folded over the top by a decent amount, then pin the edges of it to the comforter and top covering. That should solve the problem of it slipping around. You'd probably only need to use about four safety pins.