Bring your own hair dryer, ladies!

Dreamer333

To women with long/thick hair... do yourselves a favor and bring a hair dryer unless you don't mind spending 45 minutes drying your hair with the Princess hair dryer.

Of course you will hear from people that say the hair dryers are fine on Princess. But I've been on 11 Princess cruises and have NEVER had a good experience with the hair dryers. They are a step below hotel wall hair dryers.

Maybe they're fine for someone with short or very fine hair, but NOT for thick long hair.

You are correct....it burned my hair!!!

I didn't want to take my hair dryer on my last cruise....What a mistake! My hair looked horrible! I have shoulder length hair (BOB) I couldn't do anything with that dryer, by the end of cruise my hair looked fried!!

I didn't want to take my hair dryer on my last cruise....What a mistake! My hair looked horrible! I have shoulder length hair (BOB) I couldn't do anything with that dryer, by the end of cruise my hair looked fried!!

Yes....it sucks your hair into the dryer and burns it off. I bring a small, packable travel hair dryer that works great.

Haven't gone in Princess yet but the RCI hair dryers are push button, so you have to hold in the button the whole time. I have long, thick hair so it already takes me forever!

Bring a thick rubber band to hold that button in so you don't have to.

Also bring your own shampoo and conditioner- the product provided in the dispenser in the shower is horrible- it left my hair a tangled mess.

having short hair, my DW can live with the cabin dryer, but brings her own shampoo and conditioner.

I forgot mine on my cruise last week, which reminded me to post this thread to warn my fellow women.

Nope! They're not even good for short, fine hair, still takes three times as long as a decent hairdryer.

I agree. Leaves me looking like a drowned rat, even with my short fine hair. Got to be the worst drier ever!

Haven't gone in Princess yet but the RCI hair dryers are push button, so you have to hold in the button the whole time. I have long, thick hair so it already takes me forever!

I know exactly what you mean about holding the button. My daughter has long thick hair so she rigged it to where she put a hair rubber band (wrapped around the handle twice) around the button so the rubber band held the button down so her hand didn't get tired. When you are done just roll the rubber band down the handle so it's ready for next time you use it :)

Edited by sunnyjw

I have short, but thick, hair and always take my travel dryer. On my first cruise back in 2004, I didn't know how bad the Princess dryers were, so trusted I'd be OK using the one Princess literature said was provided. Boy, was I WRONG!!! The air flow is so wimpy. Their dryers look like something leftover from the 1970s.

And I have never left home to board a Princess ship without my own since.

Please forgive my ignorance but I've never cruised on Princess. It sounds like, from some of the descriptions, that Princess still uses the arcane hair dryer box things that basically have what looks like a vacuum tube that blows hot air. Is that what they offer on all their ships? I'm cruising on Emerald this summer. I have short, fine hair and what they have will probably work just fine but I'd like to be prepared.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. - I always bring my own shampoo/conditioner.