Pre-cruise depression...

geegeewhiz

hey everybody! my first cruise is coming up in about 3 weeks! Ive been so busy watching videos, reading reviews, trying to pick shore excursions, looking at menus etc. While ive been so pumped for this trip since we've booked, I find myself falling into a sort of depression, or non-excitement.

I dont even know how to describe it, but as I read all the negative reviews about various ports, dining, realizing how small the interior rooms are, im now bummed. im to the point where i may not get off the boat in falmouth and grand cayman, because of all the things ive heard and read, both online and from a co-worker.

im feeling that we may not have that much fun anymore, has this ever happened to anyone before?

You can't put much stock in other people's opinions - everyone is different.

Before our first cruise I read that the ship we would be sailing on was worn and all kinds of horrible things about it.

I didn't notice anything I was so excited to be in the warmth of the Caribbean with the salt air blowing through my hair.

Just stop reading and start packing!! You will have a GREAT time!

Pat

You are going to have a wonderful time and will be hooked just like the rest of us!!

My advice would be to stop reading and just go and have your own experience.

My only sugguestion would do a ship sponsord tour in Falmouth, but if you don't want to do that the port area there has a lot of really cute shops and a Margaretville which is always fun.

If you have never been to Grand Cayman I highly recommend swimming with the sting rays....also known as Sting Ray City. This can be done through the ship or on your own. The water at the sandbar where the sting rays are is some of the most beautiful water I have ever seen!! It would be ashamed for you to miss it!!

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!!

Our first cruise as a family with kids went to these ports.

Like you.... my DH heard horror stories from co-workers which ended up with us not doing anything in Jamaica. This was 10 years ago, and it is still my biggest vacation regret ever since we haven't made it back there yet! Trust me, for all the people who say bad things about Jamaica, there are a LOT more scarier (IMO) ports out there!

Cayman is amazing and while I am a tad sick of it, I still could happily find things I want to do there we haven't yet. I really agree with going to see the sting rays, esp if you don't plan on going back anytime soon!

Just remember one thing when you read reviews about things. How many times have you gone out of your way when you had a really good experience with somewhere to let as many people as possible know? Then thing when you had a bad experience and how many people you let know! We tend to talk about the bad experiences more than the good in our lives. Also for that one person who had a bad time, there are 1000's of more on that cruise that had an amazing time there!

I find your mind set normal though, at least for me. Even if I am not worried about the ports, I find something just "happens" and stresses me out to wondering "Is this a good idea to be going". I have never regretted getting away from anything though! Out last cruise was to ports I didn't even care about and still managed to have fun and find something to do there!

Always remember you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Millions upon millions of people cruise each year and many have been cruising for many years. I believe that cruising is one of the most popular areas of travel.

With that said some people have different views then others.

I was on board a ship in January and posting and was having an absolutely wonderful time and then all of a sudden someone posted from on board the same ship and you would think we were on two different ships. All they had to say was things that we had not experienced.

Anyway, a Captain I highly respect has a saying.

If you want to have a good time you will and if you don't want to have a good time you won't.

Go with a positive attitude and likely you will have a wonderful time and it will be so good that you will want to book another cruise.

Keith

hey everybody! my first cruise is coming up in about 3 weeks! Ive been so busy watching videos, reading reviews, trying to pick shore excursions, looking at menus etc. While ive been so pumped for this trip since we've booked, I find myself falling into a sort of depression, or non-excitement.

I dont even know how to describe it, but as I read all the negative reviews about various ports, dining, realizing how small the interior rooms are, im now bummed. im to the point where i may not get off the boat in falmouth and grand cayman, because of all the things ive heard and read, both online and from a co-worker.

im feeling that we may not have that much fun anymore, has this ever happened to anyone before?

Don't worry about it, we've had similar feelings before, and they go away as soon as we arrive at the cruise terminal.

Every review will be different and each person will have their own experiences. Like all reviews for cruises, hotels, etc... you have to understand this and also know it's 1 side of a story.

Soon your first cruise will in the books and you'll have more experience and know what to expect for your next one. However, I must warn you about something. If you think pre-cruise depression is bad wait until the post-cruise blues :)

I understand how you feel--I read reviews of trips I've been on and can't help but wonder, were we really on the same ship? Opinions, expectations and experiences vary so much, honestly, I wouldn't read too much into them.

My opinion--and of course, it's only my opinion--is that the reason one cruises is to be on the sea. If you see the trip as a chance to get non-stop spectacular water views, sun and warmth--and a chance to get away from responsibilities--how can you possibly not have a great time?

So, as others have said, stop reading! Play some Harry Belafonte calypso or "Margaritaville," mix yourself a Bahama Mama and start getting excited again! - Musing About Cruising

If you think pre-cruise depression is bad wait until the post-cruise blues :)

Or the "my next cruise is too far away" depression.

It always annoys me when I get home and nobody is there to pick up my towels and bring me food.... Serve me drinks... Do the dishes.

Edited by denatravels

When we went on our first cruise we stayed with excursions that the ship had. We didn't go on private tours. This was back in '92 and neither of us have ever been out of the country or on a ship. We were pretty scared, but also so excited. I think I'm glad there wasn't the internet back then, LOL!

You are going to have the time of your life! Be smart and don't go off the beaten path where you find yourself alone where there are no tourists. One of our stops on our first cruise was Martinique and we were warned to make sure to stay around people; not to go off alone. We chose an excursion on a bus where we were with a lot of other people and toured the island. It was beautiful. Just don't put yourself in danger and you are going to be more than fine!!

We are going on our 3rd cruise in a couple of months and I'm worried about the depression when we get back - I may have to book another cruise while we're aboard ship, LOL!! The ship we're on in May is going into dry dock in the Fall and I read a ton of negative reviews and I thought about changing itineraries and ships. But I also found positive reviews and I'm just not going to worry about it. It's vacation and its going to be fun!!!

Have fun planning - it's is half the fun!!! :p

Stop reading and researching cruise related stories or articles and just go on your cruise knowing you have prepared for a wonderful time. I am sure you will and you will realise that half of what you read had been not necessary and didn't happen on your cruise.

I understand what you're feeling. Last July we took a Carnival cruise, our first Carnival. I did a bunch of reading and was expecting the worst.

As it turned out, we had a great time! At first I was comparing everything to the other cruises we had taken, Princess and Royal Caribbean. Then I put it into perspective. Carnival did a great job and yes I would sail with them again!

Think about this: Each ship holds around 3,000 people +\- 500 people. Usually less than 10 post reviews and those are all over the map. That means the other 3,490 people either had a great time or didn't care enough to post a review!

The cruise is yours to make. Whether you enjoy it or hate it is totally your doing. You can let the small stuff roll off your back or you can let it fester. I recommend the former.

Relax, keep an open mind and you will have a great time! Really!

Ok, I thank you all for your feedback. I'm excited again! What you all have said is true, I keep forgetting how many ppl are onboard vs how many negative comments are made, and it really doesn't compare. Thanks again! :)

Don't sweat the small things and you will enjoy your cruise.:D

Have you ever enjoyed a movie only to find the reviews were terrible or visa versa? Or a favorite restaurant of your a co worker would never eat there again? Its the same with cruising. Unless you are a super picky hard to please pessimist, you will love it. Just the feeling of being on a ship that large for the first time gave me pleasant shivers!!! Enjoy!!!!

I've experienced what you are describing. My suggestion is to go to Trip Advisor dot com, enter the port city and look for Things To Do. There will be many options, ranked based on potentially hundreds of reviews. Choose one and go for it. Then stop looking!

The only port where I've been disappointed is the one for which I did not do this. :rolleyes:

I feel ya. This will be our first non-Disney cruise and everything I read leaves me thinking we'll be regretting it from the comments on the boards for NCL. But the best comment I've seen regarding this is that people comment on what is out of the ordinary. The expectation is cruising is a ton of fun, there will be beautiful sunsets, great ship features, lots of food. So no reason to state those, people talk about what they want changed or didn't go perfectly. Those people still love cruising enough to be on the boards and have a long list of cruises in their signature.

Some posters really put the "critic" in Cruise Critic. I think there are some legitimate but VERY RARE concerns such as noro virus or extreme weather that could impact itinerary. And I have to tune out my mother who was only on one cruise 50 years ago but thinks EVERY cruise nowadays ends up with a storm-battled ship with every passenger coming down with noro on top of the seasickness, lol. But IMO a lot of the list of "cruise-ruining" complaints on CC are really rather petty as if they're looking for any and all infractions against perfection. For those who go in with that frame of mind, no doubt they'll find "problems" that likely wouldn't bother most other people. But just in case anyone is offended by my post, not YOU, dear reader, I'm sure YOUR complaint was absolutely founded. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I went on my first cruise 2 years ago, and can't believe I waited so long either! I've since been on 2 more cruises, and have 2 booked for September and January. You will wonder why you didn't do it sooner, and may suffer from "post cruise depression".

My words are, Relax!! I am a great planner too, but sometimes you need to go with the flow. Don't let bad reviews, etc, influence you. A lot of people don't like the Royal or Regal Princess. We sailed on the Royal last month, loved her, and had one of the best vacations we've ever had.

Even if some things don't go right, you'll still go back. Shortly after I took my first cruise, a friend of mine decided to cruise (on a different cruise line) for the first time, with his mother. When he came home, he told me he got seasick, the food was awful, and getting around on the ship in his wheelchair was difficult. He's gone on 2 more cruises since!

Let us know how it was when you return.