Bombings in Brussels

ABoatNerd

I am Belgian, live 30 minutes from Brussels and have many friends there. What happened this morning is terrible...

Please don't let this scare you and keep visiting our wonderful little country.You don't want to miss our beer, fries and chocolate :)

I'm so sorry for your loss to your beautiful country.

We will not be changing our travel plans and I find it sad that the same people over and over again start these posts with almost a hand wringing going on of I told you so. Fear teaches nothing.

Residents of the Med. region have a different perspective concerning travel safety. I must agree with Ruth from Israel. How can one be vigilant?

I was planning on cruising from Istanbul in November and for the first time I am having second thoughts. I am sure many people have similar feelings about travelliing at the moment.

-Seva from Greece

I am Belgian, live 30 minutes from Brussels and have many friends there. What happened this morning is terrible...

Please don't let this scare you and keep visiting our wonderful little country.You don't want to miss our beer, fries and chocolate :)

I have visited, and worked in, your beautiful country several times. Todays events won't stop me returning for the beer, fries, chocolate and the friendly welcomes.

Condolences for what has happened today but know that the rest of the world stands behind you in helping to find those responsible.

I was looking at train tickets last night for a day trip from Amsterdam to Brussels during our pre-cruise stay in May. Ironically, my thoughts were on a future attack after reading that the leader of the Paris attacks was apprehended and ammunition, etc. were found in the apartment - clear that another attack was being planned. Little did I know it would happen a few hours later. :eek::(

I called DH this morning to tell him about the attacks and asked if he still wanted to continue with our plans. His response..."of course, isn't that what you want to do?" Yes, at the moment, we will continue with our plans. DH did ask if our insurance covered terrorist attacks. That I do not know.

Praying for those involved in the attacks. ;) Peace to all those killed. :(

Edited by Iamthesea

We will not be changing our travel plans and I find it sad that the same people over and over again start these posts with almost a hand wringing going on of I told you so. Fear teaches nothing.

Very well said!

I wish to add my condolences to the families and friends of all those who lost loved one in these acts of terrorism. I wish a speedy a full recovery to those who have been injured.

There are a number of crew members and frequent cruisers from Belgium. You are all in my thoughts.

I will still visit Brussels, Paris, Oslo and New York. No extreme right-wing, left-wing, christian or muslim will stop my travel plans.

I will not visit Russia though. Personally I am not too eager to put MY money into Putins pockets..

This was just posted on another thread on the Ports of Call boards, but it seems very appropriate here -- an article on continuing daily life in the face of terrorist attacks like the one today:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/nov/20/how-do-i-live-in-the-shadow-of-terrorism

Excellent article, Cruisemom. Reflects my feelings. As they say, 'Living well is the best revenge'.

With cruise prices this year seeming to be lower than they have been in recent years, I've been thinking that the Paris attacks were partly to blame. Will be very interesting to see what happens to European bookings after today. We are headed to Europe in two weeks and this won't affect our travel plans at all, but I am expecting a certain number of cruise cancellations in the coming weeks.

You forgot waffles and ice cream! My first trip to Brussels was as a teenager with a youth orchestra. We of course had low budgets for food and lived for a few days on the fries, waffles, and chocolate. As an adult, I was able to try some of the great restaurants, but still found myself drawn to the wonderful casual street food. Prayers and thoughts are with you and your friends.

RIP to all that have lost their lives or been injured by the attacks in Brussels today & not forgetting those in Istanbul/Ankara.

The best thing we can all do is keep travelling in my view... if we stop then the terrorists win as that's their goal to make us live in fear which is no way to live.

The replies on this thread are just a very small sampling of what all people who travel to these areas of the world would say . ;)

For sure less & less American's will be traveling to these countries in the future .Thus ,you will see prices for cruises ,land tours ie drop in regard to lower demand ;which could be a very good time to take advantage :)

Any time something like this occurs it is frightening and sad, of course. But here in the U.S. our news cycle, with its 24/7 coverage, repeating the same things over and over, ad nauseum, merely heightens the sense of "terror". It feels like it's still happening, even when it's well over. We can look forward to hearing about it for days, whether or not the investigation has turned up anything new to report.

Years ago, I flew into Dublin airport, arriving 1 hour after a bomb had been detonated in a rental car parking lot. We were totally oblivious to it because the airport had returned so quickly to "business as usual", and only found out because a guy at the rental counter happened to mention it. Now, granted, no one was killed, it was a "local" problem, and not nearly as frightening as suicide bombers, but had it happened here in the U.S., even way back then, the whole airport would have been shut down, we would have been diverted somewhere, and all hell would have broken loose. Mind, this was well before 9/11, but I remember having that same thought even back then. "Man, if this were back home, it would have been handled very differently."

Anyway, point is, seems like all that overabundant media coverage helps the terrorists, and not just by giving them all that publicity.

Edited by srlafleur

To our member WS80-

I was in our local mall when the news broke of the Brussela attack. I can tell you there was an audible gasp, and then a mournful silence. Israel feels for you, stands with you, and supports you.

This was just posted on another thread on the Ports of Call boards, but it seems very appropriate here -- an article on continuing daily life in the face of terrorist attacks like the one today:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/nov/20/how-do-i-live-in-the-shadow-of-terrorism

Excellent article, Cruisemom. Reflects my feelings. As they say, 'Living well is the best revenge.'

I just posted this on the thread that Cynthia refers to above:

As someone who has lived for many years with terrorism, I have mixed feelings about this article. Yes, life goes on, and yes, my husband and I have made it a point to patronize businesses in the close proximity of an attack as soon as possible after, but I see nothing wrong with abstaining from large sporting events, etc, for a time - especially in the current situation, when terrorists are proclaiming their intent to target such sites.

No one here thinks Israelis are 'giving into terrorism' when we avoid certain areas and events while we are in the midst of a terror wave. Just the opposite- we know it's the smart thing to do, and if anything, it is honorable to protect yourself and your loved ones. Not saying that life stops; it goes on, but wisely.

The following may be of interest:

http://www.natal.org.il/English/?CategoryID=225

http://anglo-list.com/general-3/isra...rrorist-events

I also take some exception with all the posts declaring how more people are killed in accidents, etc than terror attacks. There is nothing as devastating as a terror attack, and it's fairly clear that contemporary terrorists are aiming to inflict as much damage as possible - meaning injuries and deaths- with each attack. I fear it won't be long before we see attacks causing massive casualties (in fact London is reported to be on alert for exactly that). I'm not saying don't travel, and I am not trying to be a doomsdayer. Life does, can, and will go on, as will adventure and pleasure! But there's aware, and there's naive. I live here by being a realist- and by ever remaining hopeful.

Edited by happy trailer

You also forgot the wonderful Jenever Bars in Ghent and Antwerp that my Wife and I love. We will be in Zeebrugge in July on the Eclipse and have no hesitation returning to Bruges.

So glad that almost everyone is thinking positive and do not change their plans. Many thanks for all your kind thoughts

I too am saddened by the attacks in Belgium; too many innocent people killed by those who want terror to continue and feel this is the only way to do that. Unfortunately, this is the world we live in today.

My DH and I are traveling to Alaska this year because we promised my dad that we would take a year off from Europe. I know that my DH and father are both glad, but I definitely would have ventured to Europe regardless of this terrorist attack. When it is your time, it is your time.

I do understand the feelings of others, but I have traveled the world for many years and would not let anything or anyone srtop me. That is exactly what the terrorists want us to do...stay home. Well, there are terrorists here too!

Edited by Lastdance

Many will change their plans and yes tourism will be hurt, but the tourist who cancel are not beer drinkers. Gotta love Belgium beer and Chocolate LOL

No change of plans for US, but realize that the security surrounding our flights from the US, through AMS will most likely be a PITA for good reasons.

Edited by north29

[quote I hope that timid/scared/frightened/whoever people do cancel their cruises. It will simply make it cheaper for me and those who are not timid/scared/frightened/whoever

For sure less & less American's will be traveling to these countries in the future .Thus ,you will see prices for cruises ,land tours ie drop in regard to lower demand ;which could be a very good time to take advantage :)

I have read through all of the posts, and agree with some, and disagree with others. However, at a time like this I sincerely hope people are not meaning to come across as insensitive and capitalizing on the misfortune of others. Whether or not you see this as an opportunity to 'take advantage' of falling cruise prices, please, for the sake of those affected by this terrible tragedy, respectfully refrain from making those comments.

To our member WS80-

I was in our local mall when the news broke of the Brussela attack. I can tell you there was an audible gasp, and then a mournful silence. Israel feels for you, stands with you, and supports you.

I just posted this on the thread that Cynthia refers to above:

As someone who has lived for many years with terrorism, I have mixed feelings about this article. Yes, life goes on, and yes, my husband and I have made it a point to patronize businesses in the close proximity of an attack as soon as possible after, but I see nothing wrong with abstaining from large sporting events, etc, for a time - especially in the current situation, when terrorists are proclaiming their intent to target such sites.

No one here thinks Israelis are 'giving into terrorism' when we avoid certain areas and events while we are in the midst of a terror wave. Just the opposite- we know it's the smart thing to do, and if anything, it is honorable to protect yourself and your loved ones. Not saying that life stops; it goes on, but wisely.

The following may be of interest:

I also take some exception with all the posts declaring how more people are killed in accidents, etc than terror attacks. There is nothing as devastating as a terror attack, and it's fairly clear that contemporary terrorists are aiming to inflict as much damage as possible - meaning injuries and deaths- with each attack. I fear it won't be long before we see attacks causing massive casualties (in fact London is reported to be on alert for exactly that). I'm not saying don't travel, and I am not trying to be a doomsdayer. Life does, can, and will go on, as will adventure and pleasure! But there's aware, and there's naive. I live here by being a realist- and by ever remaining hopeful.

Thank you Ruth for you insight. We are planning b2b cruise starting in Venice going to Istanbul and to Rome. We will hopefully visiting Israel. Our daughter will be joining us in Istanbul. I told her to take a taxi to the hotel and do not leave until the next morning in a taxi to the port. We want to show her the Old city of Jerusalem. I hope that things stay quiet in your country and we get to visit. Cruise lines usually do give you much notice about cancelling port.

Our cruise is not until October. We have no plans to cancel it.

Pam

I live on the outskirts of London and am extremely nervous of an attack on our doorstep. Everytime my daughter asks to go into "town" with her friends I feel my chest constrict, but then I let her go, because what's the point in staying cooped up at home? Years ago when the IRA was a threat there was a bomb diffused a couple of hundred yards from my office and we were holed up in the corridor away from windows for a few hours while they worked on the bomb. Once we had the all clear life went on as normal. While I do think it's important to be aware of your surroundings and situation, I dont think it's worth putting your life on hold in these situations, anything can happen at any time.

I've only been to two airports that screen before you enter the terminal---Narita and Istanbul----and I'm not sure if Istanbul does that anymore but they did when we visited there a few years ago. When we were on a bus that was taking us to Narita (Japan), we were stopped outside the gates of the airport, and had to get off the bus and soldiers checked out the bus and they scanned our bags and our bodies. We were then allowed to get back on the bus and were able to go inside the perimeter of the airport. When we were at the terminal, they took our luggage and xray'd them outside the terminal and then they took the bags inside. We had to go through the body scanners again once after check in and before the gate area.

I think more airports will have to establish this kind of screening before anyone is let into the building.

I've only been to two airports that screen before you enter the terminal---Narita and Istanbul----and I'm not sure if Istanbul does that anymore but they did when we visited there a few years ago. When we were on a bus that was taking us to Narita (Japan), we were stopped outside the gates of the airport, and had to get off the bus and soldiers checked out the bus and they scanned our bags and our bodies. We were then allowed to get back on the bus and were able to go inside the perimeter of the airport. When we were at the terminal, they took our luggage and xray'd them outside the terminal and then they took the bags inside. We had to go through the body scanners again once after check in and before the gate area.

I think more airports will have to establish this kind of screening before anyone is let into the building.

You're still on buses full of passengers, probably in a convoy if it's peak time for flying. So, it's irrelevant whether you're inside or outside the terminal building. It's the volume of people in a particular area at the same time the terrorists will target for major impact. Hence the metro bombings, stadium attacks, tourist/sightseeing, in congested areas etc. Another reason why X probably doesn't want to leave ships overnight in certain ports.

Istanbul screens just after you enter the terminal and before you get to check in, but there really isn't any good solution to it because you just move the queues from one area to another with the same inherent dangers.

Phil