Dining Alone

deise17311

Greetings all - I am embarking on my first solo cruise and have some questions about dining:

1. I wanted a table for 2 alone in the dining room but they waitlisted me (even though I booked well in advance) so I switched to anytime - what is the best time early to go for a single person to get a table for 2? 5:30?

2. I have never joined tables - how does this work - do you wait for table to fill before ordering? Should I try this or would be people not enjoy a single person (even though I am young (40) and good looking :)!)?

3. If I eat at the buffet to avoid the crowds I'm thinking 5:30 when they open? Having traveled through around 7 it always seems packed

4. If I go to the specialty restaurants I suppose again earlier is easier to make reservations for a table for one (would do this ahead of time)

Thanks all for your insight -

Greetings all - I am embarking on my first solo cruise and have some questions about dining:

1. I wanted a table for 2 alone in the dining room but they waitlisted me (even though I booked well in advance) so I switched to anytime - what is the best time early to go for a single person to get a table for 2? 5:30? You can still talk to the Maitre 'd about traditional dining at a table for two. I did and it worked perfectly. Onde of the biggest advantages is the speed and pace of the meal.

2. I have never joined tables - how does this work - do you wait for table to fill before ordering? Should I try this or would be people not enjoy a single person (even though I am young (40) and good looking :)!)?I have done this on other cruises, and prefer not too. They do try to wait until the table fills, so you can wait a long time to order. Also, I really do enjoy the company of others, but at this particular time in my life- I am shying away from chit chat.

3. If I eat at the buffet to avoid the crowds I'm thinking 5:30 when they open? Having traveled through around 7 it always seems packed

4. If I go to the specialty restaurants I suppose again earlier is easier to make reservations for a table for one (would do this ahead of time) If you make a reservation early enough in the cruise, you should be fine.

I just completed my first solo cruise- and wrote a lot in my live from about the process of dining solo.

I often eat alone at dinner - anytime dining has quite a few tables for two, and as you might expect, making a reservation or getting there at 5:30 generally has no wait times. I've also eaten alone in the specialty dining rooms - again, I get there early and have had no problems.

I often eat alone at dinner - anytime dining has quite a few tables for two, and as you might expect, making a reservation or getting there at 5:30 generally has no wait times. I've also eaten alone in the specialty dining rooms - again, I get there early and have had no problems.

Awesome thank you!!!

I'm a solo cruiser and I always eat alone. Meals, especially dinner, is "me time". I'm usually in line when the doors open at 5:30 and never have a problem getting a table to myself.

1. I wanted a table for 2 alone in the dining room but they waitlisted me (even though I booked well in advance) so I switched to anytime - what is the best time early to go for a single person to get a table for 2? 5:30?

If you really wish to dine alone then 5:30 or after 7:30

2. I have never joined tables - how does this work - do you wait for table to fill before ordering? Should I try this or would be people not enjoy a single person (even though I am young (40) and good looking :)!)?

You just show up and request a table to share. They will place you where they have an opening most likely at a table for 6 or 8 or maybe 10. You then have nice conversation with others. The table will fill fairly quickly and the courses are served together. I would prefer dining with others than alone anytime. You meet interesting people that you will also see around the ship.

You can show up anytime at the buffet. It is open all day. The dinner selections are normally placed out around 5:00 and stay out until 11pm. The buffet is not really over crowded in the evenings like it can be a lunch. You will be able to find a table. Just bring along a jacket or something to mark your table if you get up for seconds or desserts.

4. If I go to the specialty restaurants I suppose again earlier is easier to make reservations for a table for one (would do this ahead of time)

Just make a reservation for one and you will be accommodated.

See above

FYI, on Princess, the buffet opens at 5:30AM and is open continuously until about 11PM. It doesn't close. One side might close as they're switching over but unlike other cruise lines, such as Celebrity, the buffet doesn't close. You can get a full breakfast at 11AM or a full lunch at 2:30PM.

The Regal, along with the Royal, has the best buffet at sea. IMHO, much better than Celebrity. It's huge with lots of options. Here's a recent review of the Regal. Scroll down for the nightly food options in the buffet. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2333410

FYI, on Princess, the buffet opens at 5:30AM and is open continuously until about 11PM. It doesn't close. One side might close as they're switching over but unlike other cruise lines, such as Celebrity, the buffet doesn't close. You can get a full breakfast at 11AM or a full lunch at 2:30PM.

The Regal, along with the Royal, has the best buffet at sea. IMHO, much better than Celebrity. It's huge with lots of options. Here's a recent review of the Regal. Scroll down for the nightly food options in the buffet. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2333410

Much appreciated Pam!

Have you considered a reservation in Traditional? You would be assigned to a fixed table (and tablemates) at a set time. When I travel alone, I take late traditional at a table for 6 or 8. I have always been well-received by the people I'm assigned to dine with and it's nice to have folks to chat with.

When I choose to go to a specialty restaurant, I make a reservation at the time I want - I don't worry about when they might be able to fit in a table for 1. I have never had a problem.

Enjoy!

Have you considered a reservation in Traditional? You would be assigned to a fixed table (and tablemates) at a set time. When I travel alone' date=' I take late traditional at a table for 6 or 8. I have always been well-received by the people I'm assigned to dine with and it's nice to have folks to chat with.

When I choose to go to a specialty restaurant, I make a reservation at the time I want - I don't worry about when they might be able to fit in a table for 1. I have never had a problem.

Enjoy![/quote']

I'm on the waitlist for a table but did not think to do a larger table - thanks!

I have cruised a lot as a solo. I generally use traditional dining and ask to be assigned to a 6 or 8 table. Always have been well received and you get to chat to people who you then run into at other times on the ship. I often go to dining room for breakfast or lunch where you are allocated to a table, again meeting new people. By the way I am not like you, I am well over 40, and while of pleasant appearance, no stand out. Lol. Just be yourself and enjoy. Also if by chance you don't like your table companions at traditional dining after a couple of nights to settle in, just see Maitre'd and ask for another table. Your cruise to enjoy.

1. I wanted a table for 2 alone in the dining room but they waitlisted me (even though I booked well in advance)

so I switched to anytime - what is the best time early to go for a single person to get a table for 2? 5:30?

I don't think you will have a problem if you will be in line that early.

Have you considered a reservation in Traditional? You would be assigned to a fixed table (and tablemates) at a set time. When I travel alone' date=' I take late traditional at a table for 6 or 8. I have always been well-received by the people I'm assigned to dine with and it's nice to have folks to chat with.

[/quote']

However if those people turn out not to be good dinner companions you can ask the Maitre'd for a change of table. For example on one of our cruises a solo lady joined our table mid-way through the cruise. Initally she had been seated at a table of other solos and she found the behaviour of one of the men offensive. She stuck it out for quite a few days before asking for a change, and told us she wished she'd changed tables right at the start.

This is what is good about cruising today, many dining choices, suitable for everyone.

I sail by myself and choose early traditional as I like visiting with the same people in the evening, not having to reintroduce myself each night. I've only changed tables once, because the people I was sitting with knew each other, totally left me out, didn't try to

carry on a conversation. Later when I saw them, they acted shocked I left the table! :)

For breakfast and lunch, I usually do the buffet area or Alfredo's. I don't mind sitting by myself for those meals but enjoy company for the evening meal.

I don't think you will have a problem if you will be in line that early.

I'm already in line when the doors open at 5:30. I've never had a problem getting a table to myself.

If you are on the Regal/Royal then the buffet is great , lots of choices and they open at 530. The other class of ships the buffet is far more limited.

1) Yes, in fact you can call at 8:00 AM right when the dine line opens to make a res for 1 at 5:30.

2) There will be other solos onboard, too, so you could ask the hostess if there's a table of other solos available to join.

3) It's very calm later in the evening; that's when I've mostly seen pax eating alone.

4) I would think so. If you are interested in Crown Grill, book right when you board; it fills up quickly.

I see cruising as a safe means of travel for a solo pax and did it once. It was fun and peaceful. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The two-tops in Anytime tend to be in a row of four or five and are about a foot apart. We have had many singles at tables near us, and sometimes they chat with us and sometimes don't. These tables give a bit of separation with no obligation to talk with people at other tables. Often you say hi, ask how the day has gone and then ignore the other tables. You also get to admire what someone else has ordered, since you don't usually wait for others to order.

There are a few tables that are quite isolated, but these tend to be along the paths in and out of the dining room.