RCL Staff? I felt uneasy

As the title really just got off our first RC cruise and the staff were super and helpful and did their job as required but I couldn't help but feel the normal staff (not cruise directors US/UK / shop staff) felt unhappy , over worked and just an atmosphere that they were sad ?

On other cruises (non RC) both my husband and I felt we could talk more to staff , have a laugh and a chat if needed and well we felt as ease .

My parents have been on many many cruises and they felt the same along with some other friends commenting also?

The staff don't get me wrong worked amazing but it seemed they were always looking over their shoulder that they would get told off for having a quick chat , also having spoken to many staff they seemed tired and over worked?

Has anyone else found this?

On other cruises we've made friends more with staff, had a random chat here and there and well that made us feel happier but I just felt so bad on the anthem .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sorry...but I see no reason for you to have felt "uneasy".

Most of the crew feel they are very lucky to have the job they do...do they get tired...yes...just like anyone else that works, especially in customer service.

Do you normally feel uneasy around other's that work hard at their job when you encounter them ?

Just very confused about what your trying to say about the staff onboard...Have you cruised before or is a first for you ?..If you've cruised before did this crew seem unusually overworked as compared to others :confused:

Sorry...but I see no reason for you to have felt "uneasy".

Most of the crew feel they are very lucky to have the job they do...do they get tired...yes...just like anyone else that works, especially in customer service.

Do you normally feel uneasy around other's that work hard at their job when you encounter them ?

Just very confused about what your trying to say about the staff onboard...Have you cruised before or is a first for you ?..If you've cruised before did this crew seem unusually overworked as compared to others :confused:

I would note that this was a HUGE spring break cruise, and another poster stated that there were 2,000 children on board.

Just SEEING that makes ME exhausted! ;)

I would note that this was a HUGE spring break cruise, and another poster stated that there were 2,000 children on board.

Yes...I just read the other post too....they thought the crew was great. So just a different opinion...nothing new about that ;) The poster left that fact out...definitely a reason why the crew looked tired.

Edited by Ashland

I just wondered if anyone else found this issue also ,

It was a busy cruise and no doubt they were well worked this last week , but surely when most staff work 7 months solid after spring break etc the cruise ships should maybe arrange for the ship to have a day off ?

It was a busy cruise and no doubt they were well worked this last week , but surely when most staff work 7 months solid after spring break etc the cruise ships should maybe arrange for the ship to have a day off ?

"Day Off" :D:D:D

Seriously? They don't get "a day off".

And YOUR cruise was the spring break cruise.

If they gave the ship a day off, who would serve the next group of embarking passengers? Should the cruiseline schedule a "dead day" and lose millions just to allow crew to recuperate from one heavy week?

They were probably just too busy to sit around and chat with you. Seriously, why not try making friends with fellow cruisers instead? These people have a job to do and IMHO doesn't include amusing passengers. Don't mean to sound harsh, but have you ever needed service in the dining room or even a land restaurant only to have people at another table wanting to have a long chat with your waiter?

They were probably just too busy to sit around and chat with you. Seriously, why not try making friends with fellow cruisers instead? These people have a job to do and IMHO doesn't include amusing passengers. Don't mean to sound harsh, but have you ever needed service in the dining room or even a land restaurant only to have people at another table wanting to have a long chat with your waiter?

^^^ This and it happens everywhere...some just aren't concerned about that next person waiting or inline ;)

Thank you! I don't understand this need some people have to "make friends" with the crew. Be friendly when you see them, sure. Maybe a chat if they've got time without interrupting their work. But I certainly don't expect the crew to become my BFFs on the ship.

I'm genuinely curious what people who do feel they need to become friends with the crew gain from that.

I agree...the staff is not of importance to me...(I know what sounds bad...but hey!) When I travel and we're in a hotel...I don't "make friends" with the staff....ever! They are paid to do their job...I PAY for whatever amenities are there....I just don't understand why folks feel the need to be "friendly" with a cruise staff.....Yeah...you're on the ship for a week....I've been in hotels for a week, too!

You are paying a premium to vacation...and part of the vacation experience is the staff that's trained to make your stay nice....that's all you can expect. They are NOT your buddies....they have TONS of cabins to care for....tons of folks to serve at dinner....be polite and not "needy"...and all will be good!

So just for chuckles and grins, since "uneasy" created issues at the beginning, I did notice the OP is from the UK. We (US/UK) are two people separated by a common language. The OED emphasizes "uncomfortable"; Webster emphasizes worried and troubled. Without putting words in their mouth, I assumed they were saying it just didn't feel right. Which having travelled in the UK a lot, I get. I find just about everyone chats, albeit briefly. Cabbies chat, doormen chat, bartenders chat. Usually not for long, as in hello, how are you, and move on, unless you start talking about football, of course. It's normal, and part of the pace of life.

When we first started cruising RCI eight years ago, it was normal for crew to do the same. We never had long conversations or talked about their kids or spouses or homes or anything, but "hello" was normal; it doesn't seem to be anymore. I assume that's directly related to whatever percent of staff cuts have occurred and what certainly seems to be a decreased staff to passenger ratio. It's something I've noticed, but really don't pay much attention to. I'm a typical suburban American; I rarely say hi to my neighbors, much less anyone else. But that attitude is NOT normal in much of the world.

Say please, thank you, and offer up a smile even if it isn't returned.

We have no idea what is in their lives. On the ship contract they will put in more hours per week than most people ever will, unless you are an MD in residency.

The world is a terribly tumultuous place, and I feel this is probably even more stressful on the service employees on cruise ships where they are gone from their families for many months at a time, not knowing what may happen next.

In the OP's words....

"the staff were super and helpful and did their job as required"

That is the service we are paying for, not for them to take the time to have a conversation. Every minute they stop to chat adds additional minutes to their day.

A spring break cruise, :eek: I cannot imagine.

"A day off"? Only in the world of lollipops and rainbows.

Edited by SPacificbound

So just for chuckles and grins, since "uneasy" created issues at the beginning, I did notice the OP is from the UK. We (US/UK) are two people separated by a common language. The OED emphasizes "uncomfortable"; Webster emphasizes worried and troubled. Without putting words in their mouth, I assumed they were saying it just didn't feel right. Which having travelled in the UK a lot, I get. I find just about everyone chats, albeit briefly. Cabbies chat, doormen chat, bartenders chat. Usually not for long, as in hello, how are you, and move on, unless you start talking about football, of course. It's normal, and part of the pace of life.

When we first started cruising RCI eight years ago, it was normal for crew to do the same. We never had long conversations or talked about their kids or spouses or homes or anything, but "hello" was normal; it doesn't seem to be anymore. I assume that's directly related to whatever percent of staff cuts have occurred and what certainly seems to be a decreased staff to passenger ratio. It's something I've noticed, but really don't pay much attention to. I'm a typical suburban American; I rarely say hi to my neighbors, much less anyone else. But that attitude is NOT normal in much of the world.

I have sailed many nights on the Anthem. And MANY nights on most of the other Royal Caribbean ships. (and I have cheated with a couple of other cruise lines. ;))

I find that almost all of the Royal Caribbean employees on my cruises smile, say hello first or say hello back. I found it many years ago and I find it now. And I find that to be the standard operating procedure on Royal Caribbean. Not so much on other lines.

So.....................

I think that my experiences must have been markedly different from those of the OP.

I have sailed many nights on the Anthem. And MANY nights on most of the other Royal Caribbean ships. (and I have cheated with a couple of other cruise lines. ;))

I find that almost all of the Royal Caribbean employees on my cruises smile, say hello first or say hello back. I found it many years ago and I find it now. And I find that to be the standard operating procedure on Royal Caribbean. Not so much on other lines.

So.....................

I think that my experiences must have been markedly different from those of the OP.

I've not found it "as much" lately, but freely admit that could be me. You live the Beltway rat race long enough, and you just don't take time. And, I don't know you, but you could also be one of those people that others just talk to, and I'm not. It is what it is.

I sailed 4 years ago during a spring "Easter" break cruise (end of March/early April) on Explorer not realizing there would be 2,000 children as the kids around my neck of the woods go on spring break 3rd week in April. It would have been an otherwise great vacation if there weren't so many unsupervised kids running around.

Combine that with the storms the crew had to endure in January and February, and you can understand why these Anthem crew members look like they can't wait for their contract to end.

If they gave the ship a day off, who would serve the next group of embarking passengers? Should the cruiseline schedule a "dead day" and lose millions just to allow crew to recuperate from one heavy week?

They could do it in the middle of the itinerary and sell it as an excursion called Cruise Ship (insert staff title here) for a Day. :eek:

I wouldn't read too much into it. The staff are definitely busy and have their work cut out for them. While you pay their salaries, just remember that they're human beings too, so be pleasant, say please and thank you, and remember that a little appreciation and common decency go a long way.

It's no secret that cruise staff is overworked, they make their best to show a smiley face, but they have a tough job. Probably they get a decent paycheck, but it comes after a very hard work.

I met an ukrainian girl in the Allure, very kind person, that was serving in the MDR at 10:30pm, we were among the last ones to leave that night. I know they have a post-dinning briefing close to midnight, so waiters may go to bed around 1am. And I saw her at 9am the next morning serving hot dogs, and then in the MDR again for dinning. I learned that way they have tough shifts. A bartender explained me that they don't have 'days off', what they get are 'off hours'.

Edited by Pipo

Dear Equisport,

Thank you for your views they are so true.

As the OP, Equisport showed , he felt not so easy ( well ). As well all well know in crusing any staff member has to wear different HATS.. but always provide service with a Smile.

IMHO he is very correct.

As in any Cruise it is vital to have interactivity with cruisers ( clients ) even in a Grocery Store Deli is so similar. The longer a staff memebr is with customer and helping them the better the Store and/or here the Cruise Line does in normal conditi0ons.

On any Cruise Ship the Second in Command , usually the HotMan ( Hotel Manager ) is the person responsible. Yes Training the STAFF, and retraining.. a constant process.

The Customer should Always be right... especially in a Service Business as Service providing is the JOB too.

With much Lowered StaFF to Passenger Ratios on RCL :NYSE ships now ..it is so vital as they do not have schools as HAL does and they could retain these staff memebrs better in a much higher ratio too. Thus RCL :NYSE would not have to as ships used to do knock them over the head or ply them with booze.. at a Port ...eh...

On the Anthem they have really become SILLY, IMHO, as what 5,000 HIGH Paying passengers to ONLY 1,500 staff and to Boot ypou even have to TIP/Fee pay the Robots serving you now.. ((WHAT in the HECK..) )) I am sorry it is not my desire to tip a Robot .. Do you like that? How many Mixologists lost the position because of macahines now and to TIP a machine which did/does that is kinda absurd..

Again, sorry to reiterate, on any Cruise Ship the Second in Command , usually the HotMan ( Hotel Manager ) is the person responsible. Yes Training the STAFF, and retraining.. a constant process.