New RCL email 'robes for Platinum upon request only

received this email today from RCL and wanted to share:

To support World Wildlife Fund's water

conservation initiatives, robes for

Platinum guests and above will now

be available upon request.

May be old news for most but I just saw this today. I am sure if you are booked into a suite cabin the bathrobes are included as a suite guest perk. But for standard cabins this may be new and something to keep in mind when packing.

We will be first time RCL cruisers for our Allure cruise July 2016 (very excited!). We have an Ocean View Balcony reserved and I do like to lounge around in my bathrobe so I will be packing my own for sure.

May be old news for most but I just saw this today. I am sure if you are booked into a suite cabin the bathrobes are included as a suite guest perk. But for standard cabins this may be new and something to keep in mind when packing.

We will be first time RCL cruisers for our Allure cruise July 2016 (very excited!). We have an Ocean View Balcony reserved and I do like to lounge around in my bathrobe so I will be packing my own for sure.

Don't think it's old news.

This makes sense to me. Honestly, we've never had them waiting for us in our room anyway even after we hit Platinum, so asking our steward is no big deal. Plus, we only need one (husband hates them), so I'd rather just get one. Saves room in the closet and that's one less that needs to be washed then.

Unless you like a huge - one size fits all robe that is very heavy - I wouldn't get one. Otherwise ask the cabin attendant. I always ask him to take mine away - bulky item to hang somewhere. Not new policy to have to ask for one at platinum and maybe emerald.

The policy has changed but the implementation is the same, we have had to ask for the robes every cruise we have been eligible and usually gotten the explanation from the steward that robes are not for all passengers and then pointed out that we are Platinum/Emerald/Diamond and then gotten the "I will see what I can do".

Some of the newer robes are actually quite nice. They are a cotton/poly blend (waffle type)

and much lighter than the old "grandpa" cotton robes.

Of course many things have gone by-bye:

The nice box of ribbon tied multiple goodies (Now a bag of nuts/cookies).

Ice waiting for you in a bucket (now have to beg for it).

Chocolates on the pillow? (OK...showing my age here ;)).

Free DVD second run movies on cabin TV. (now RCI banging their own drum and "el crappo" channels)

Edited by island lady

Thanks for the info! Our next cruise (Ovation 14th + 17th April) will be our first since reaching Platinum status, and I was rather looking forward to having bathrobes.

Will we have to contact Royal Caribbean in advance to request, or once on the ship, do you think?

Thanks for the info! Our next cruise (Ovation 14th + 17th April) will be our first since reaching Platinum status, and I was rather looking forward to having bathrobes.

Will we have to contact Royal Caribbean in advance to request, or once on the ship, do you think?

You would request them from your stateroom attendant and if available they will provided to you. It may take a few hours but we have never been denied when we asked.

we sail suites so they are already in the room, but if I weren't and I wanted to Guarantee I had one, I'd just pack my lightweight acetate/nylon fake silk robe. takes up almost no space in luggage over any cotton or waffle weave one

I don't wear them, but they make a nice cover for my legs if I feel a nap coming on.

We alternate between RCI and Princess because we love them both. Sailed on Royal Princess last fall and they had lots of good movies on the tv and chocolates on the pillow still. I hope that doesn't change, but cost cutting is everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The policy has changed but the implementation is the same, we have had to ask for the robes every cruise we have been eligible and usually gotten the explanation from the steward that robes are not for all passengers and then pointed out that we are Platinum/Emerald/Diamond and then gotten the "I will see what I can do".

Has happened to us as well - and we were in a JS to boot. Turned out to be the worst steward ever. Anything we asked (and it wasn't much) was a major effort.

Not cool, at least in my opinion. If they really want to cut down on unused robes why don't they just put it on your profile. Theoretically it would not be difficult to add another line to your profile. That way they know in advance and it is waiting for you.

Some of the newer robes are actually quite nice. They are a cotton/poly blend (waffle type)

and much lighter than the old "grandpa" cotton robes.

Of course many things have gone by-bye:

The nice box of ribbon tied multiple goodies (Now a bag of nuts/cookies).

Ice waiting for you in a bucket (now have to beg for it).

Chocolates on the pillow? (OK...showing my age here ;)).

Free DVD second run movies on cabin TV. (now RCI banging their own drum and "el crappo" channels)

Really, begging for ice......:rolleyes::rolleyes: Edited by Thetrail

Not cool, at least in my opinion. If they really want to cut down on unused robes why don't they just put it on your profile. Theoretically it would not be difficult to add another line to your profile. That way they know in advance and it is waiting for you.

On my last 3 cruises the bed formation request on my profile was not carried out. I believe they leave the beds as they were the cruise before and see what happens......

They would never get the robes right. IMO

Don't really care about there robes.

Maybe that explains why there wasn't a robe in my new cabin today; since apparently I am still Platinum. They were in my another 2 cabins this past week. I asked and it was on the bed when I got back to the room.

Little side note $3.95 room service charge starts at 10pm now. Not sure when that went into effect.

Really, begging for ice......:rolleyes::rolleyes:

My post was obviously intended as humor. :rolleyes:

But you still have to ask for the ice, just like the robes now apparently for

Platinum members.

Perks that were taken for granted seem to now be going away,

so you have to ask them. Or are you one that still gets everything automatically? ;)

Edited by island lady

What about Jr suites? Thanks.

They have almost always been in our cabin when we check in to our JS.

Once or twice they were missing as the cabin attendant said he was waiting for

them to be delivered from the laundry. We always got them at some

point.