Tips & Advice wanted on how to manage without an iron

Was seriously considering a travel steamer but it is on the "banned" list. So then I decided I would try this Downy Wrinkle Release...no joy there ...don't think it is sold over here in England. Looks like I am possibly having to re think my wardrobe...leave the linen at home...and splash out on a new wardrobe....life's tough at times :))
I pick up travel size Downy Winkle Releaser from Target when I get into the US. Around $1.99 for a small travel size bottle that lasts the length of the cruise. Edited by peteukmcr

You can send items out for pressing.

Also you can turn on the shower in the bathroom and the heat will help with the creases.

We also have 28" suiters. We hang clothes that might wrinkle and each item is covered with a dry cleaning bag.

keith

Was seriously considering a travel steamer but it is on the "banned" list. So then I decided I would try this Downy Wrinkle Release...no joy there ...don't think it is sold over here in England. Looks like I am possibly having to re think my wardrobe...leave the linen at home...and splash out on a new wardrobe....life's tough at times :))

I have a can of something called 'Wrinkle rescue'. I don't know where I got it from, nor if it is any good as I don't think I have ever used it. I still dutifully take it with me every time I cruise though! :)

We don't have Downey Wrinkle Release in Australia and I couldn't find anything similar. So I just took a spray bottle with a small amount of fabric softener in the bottom which I filled up with water in the cabin. I used it as I unpacked. Worked well for me.

We don't have Downey Wrinkle Release in Australia and I couldn't find anything similar. So I just took a spray bottle with a small amount of fabric softener in the bottom which I filled up with water in the cabin. I used it as I unpacked. Worked well for me.

That is basically what Downy Wrinkle Release is. You have uncovered the secret!

;)

Downy Wrinkle Release works wonders and the cabin isn't waterlogged from steam. I pack everything in dry cleaner bags and spray lightly when I unpack. Easy Peasy and it's done for the whole cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Totally agree!!

Guest maddycat
I travel a LOT for business, hobby and vacation - I also NEVER iron. If a garment requires ironing, it doesn't find its way into my wardrobe. I think I owned a linen skirt around 30 years ago and wore it on a business trip - stepped off the plane looking like i'd slept in it. I believe it went to Goodwill. So, do yourself a favor and leave the linen home and get some travel clothes that pack well and don't require ironing. My favorite trick if there is an odd crease or wrinkle is to wet it a bit and hit it with the hairdryer - wrinkle gone.

Excellent advice.

My trick to handling wrinkles is....not to care what my clothes look like when I'm cruising. I'm on a cruise to see new places and experience different cultures. I don't care what the new places, people, or cultures think of my wrinkled clothes...if they're judging me by what I look like then I don't want to make their acquaintance.

If you don't mind paying, I always send everything out the first night to get ironed. It is back in my cabin by the next afternoon.

[emoji106]

My favorite trick if there is an odd crease or wrinkle is to wet it a bit and hit it with the hairdryer - wrinkle gone.

Don't know why I didn't think of that.

I do it all the time for closet wrinkles, usually after I'm dressed. Spray a little water, then dry it with the hair dryer. I have to hold it away from myself so I don't get too hot.

If we all make a pact to go wrinkled on cruises, we won't have to worry about it!

lose the linen. plenty of travel friendly fabrics out there that wear beautifully with zero wrinklage( too bad our bodies aren't so cooperative) even my formal gown is now a knit fabric that still looks marvelous after being rolled up into a ball in the suitcase.

there are many homemade version recipe online.. or just buy a bottle when you get here.

Hi...for the last few cruises we have had access to a launderette and an iron so creasing of clothes has never been a problem.

I tend to wear a lot of linen which unfortunately creases really badly ...so....what tips/advice can you please give regarding this...not only with linen....will just have to take more alternatives...but general advice regarding how to get rid of creases without an iron.

Unless RCI now provide an ironing room for passengers which would be great.

Many thanks

Use fabric softener when you wash your cruise clothes if you don't alreadly.

I suppose I could use the pressing service but some items may need to be pressed every day and I don't know what the cost would be for that...may end up costing more than the cruise :))...but thank you for the suggestions so far

Hang your outfit in the bathroom while you shower also helps. The steam releases the wrinkles. As mentioned, the Downy spray works. You can get small spray bottles of it in the travel section of stores like Target.

I always save cleaners bags prior to traveling and place a cleaners bag under and over my hang up clothes. It really minimizing wrinkles. It adds some bulk but everything just slides rather than wad up.

We also use 2 gallon zip lock bags for folded clothes. Squeeze out all air and zip up. Minimizes wrinkles and improves luggage space.

Bon voyage and good luck!

I always save cleaners bags prior to traveling and place a cleaners bag under and over my hang up clothes. It really minimizing wrinkles. It adds some bulk but everything just slides rather than wad up.

We also use 2 gallon zip lock bags for folded clothes. Squeeze out all air and zip up. Minimizes wrinkles and improves luggage space.

Bon voyage and good luck!

Good idea, that one I've not heard of before.

Good idea, that one I've not heard of before.

After years of packing 2 boys for camp - it was our top pick. When they were young - I packed an outfit a day. Some years - way too many clean bags came home!! 😳

Really does give loads of more space in the luggage. We just store them in the suitcase and reuse the zip lock bags.

After years of packing 2 boys for camp - it was our top pick. When they were young - I packed an outfit a day. Some years - way too many clean bags came home!! 😳

Really does give loads of more space in the luggage. We just store them in the suitcase and reuse the zip lock bags.

I fear that using the ziplock bags will end up putting my suitcase over the weight limit.;)

now I don't care. I pack light, wear almost nothing except lightweight organic cotton and for that pleasure, there are a few wrinkles which is a small price to pay for comfort.

Some of those travel fabrics, namely polyester, create more odor and some contain triclosan:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/09/20/synthetic-polyester-fabrics.aspx

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/09/05/346055067/stinky-t-shirt-bacteria-love-polyester-in-a-special-way

Edited by Bookish Angel

Well folks plenty of tips for me...many thanks to you all.

Conclusions

Ditch the linen

Spray bottle of water with fabric conditioner....is the fabric conditioner a "magic" ingredient"?

Pack carefully...which I do...always use plenty of tissue paper when folding clothes.

If that fails hang "wrinkled" clothes in a steamy bathroom

Send out to be pressed...clothes not me.

Or

Don't give a *** and face the world wrinkles and all :D