What is so "wonderful" about an aft cabin?

Hi...even though we have cruised many times we have never had an aft cabin but from what I read on the forum they are desirable.

So...what is so good about them...I always imagined that they would be a lot noisier from the workings of the ship... but I don't know. We have a cruised booked on the NOTS and have a chance of having one of the aft cabins...deck 9..at the moment we are deck 7 midship. I chose that because I have a strong tendency towards vertigo/motion sickness but of course it may be no different than being on deck 9 aft cabin.

Actually, aft cabins are pretty quiet and the sound of the wake is pretty serene. The Freedom Class and Voyager Class ships have a super structure so some aft cabins on those ships have obstructed views. I think deck 9 on NOTS is a good deck for an aft but I would specifically ask that question here on CC. I have noticed a little more vibration when the ship is maneuvering in and out of port but how many times does that happen on a cruise and it wasn't an annoyance at all. As for aft motion? I can't really judge. I've never noticed much of a difference but I've never been motion sick in my lifetime and that includes deep sea fishing on 40 and 50 foot boats. I think our favorite aft cabins are on the Radiance Class ships. Have a great cruise. :)

We had the corner aft cabin on Vision and absolutely loved the view and the balcony. We usually do spend quite a bit of time on our balcony and having this one was wonderful. Personally I prefer watching the wake to the side view.

For us the walk didn't seem that far and as others have mentioned it was great to work off those extra treats. We did feel a little bit of vibration but nothing annoying at all.

Oh, and regarding the superstructure blocking the view, this is not on all ship classes, and not even every cabin on those classes.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I personally have never worried about someone being able to look down on me. Guess that is because I am boring and if someone looked down, they wouldn't see anything interesting and would find something better to look at - like straight forward at the wake. Of course, that can be convenient like when we had 1100 on the Radiance and my husband would drop bagels down to me from the Windjammer balcony above. (Here's another apology to the guy down on 9256 that got hit with the packet of cream cheese that I missed.)

We'll be in our first aft cabin on Radiance for 29 days in September - can't wait! As far as soot goes, we got soot on our side balcony on Legend many times. And we learned our lesson about booking a cabin under the Windjammer/Solarium deck - the staff start moving carts/chairs/tables around at 4:00 in the morning! And you can feel the vibrations in any cabin so that doesn't bother us anymore. Just happy to be cruising!

Hi...even though we have cruised many times we have never had an aft cabin but from what I read on the forum they are desirable.

So...what is so good about them...I always imagined that they would be a lot noisier from the workings of the ship... but I don't know. We have a cruised booked on the NOTS and have a chance of having one of the aft cabins...deck 9..at the moment we are deck 7 midship. I chose that because I have a strong tendency towards vertigo/motion sickness but of course it may be no different than being on deck 9 aft cabin.

We had 9690 on Adventure (same layout as Navigator) once and loved it. I loved the wrap-around balcony. Our friends were in 9692 and that one had an even bigger balcony.

It's not claustrophobia for us. The huge balcony just does not overcome the inconvenient location for us.

I hear ya Bob....since we did our first hump on Reflection, we have not gone aft again. Have the middle hump in couple of weeks...as we get older, the centrum is a big attraction. But in Sept to Alaska, we are walkin again...

I personally have never worried about someone being able to look down on me. Guess that is because I am boring and if someone looked down, they wouldn't see anything interesting and would find something better to look at - like straight forward at the wake. Of course, that can be convenient like when we had 1100 on the Radiance and my husband would drop bagels down to me from the Windjammer balcony above. (Here's another apology to the guy down on 9256 that got hit with the packet of cream cheese that I missed.)

You should have apologized and at least tossed him a bagel for his cream cheese. :D

I hear ya Bob....since we did our first hump on Reflection, we have not gone aft again. Have the middle hump in couple of weeks...as we get older, the centrum is a big attraction. But in Sept to Alaska, we are walkin again...

Plus, on Voyager/Freedom class ships, the hump is very convenient to the specialty coffee in the CL.

It's worth trying once.

The Vision class is the one that has the worst vibration in the aft- especially when you are running behind and have to speed up. We are ok with it, but understand that it's not for everyone.

But on some itineraries, that corner aft is just amazing to have. We did Alaska and the eastern Med on the Rhapsody, and had corner JS's on both. When you are out there, and can go around the corner to look- it's worth it. In Alaska, the Glacier day was so awesome, we were out on our balcony from 6:30am to noon- with small breaks. Yes, you can do that on the top deck, but for us- it was so much better on our own.

Leaving most ports in the Eastern Med is really nice, too. The view of where you were was totally worth it.

I'd rather have a long walk instead of a short one. I also prefer being less traffic.

The only issue we've had was someone spilling coffee from the WJ on the Jewel. Deny all you want, dude- but the coffee stain on the ship was pretty clear... :eek:

Go for it, once.

We had 1104 on the Jewel and were happy with it. Yes, the walk back was longer but we tend to like cabins towards aft anyway. We like the movement. We did not feel any vibration and I have to say, I was looking for it after all the posts on aft vibrations. Also, no superstructure to impede our views.

Being under the Windjammer was, really, not much of an issue. Yes, there were some early morning sounds coming down but nothing that really affected our enjoyment of the aft balcony. As far as the late night, or early morning, sounds from the Windjammer staff; we also had no recollection of that. We did, however, have the premium drink package. :p

I think we both agree, we would actively seek an aft cabin again, more preferably, on a longer cruise. As others have said, there is a peaceful and serene quality that comes with an aft cabin.

OK guess I'll have to post these again. A picture is worth a 1000 words...

295p9bb.jpg Wouldn't think of Alaska without it

Voyager class obstructions- don't give a hoot:

View My Video

Gee, I was about to hit the "Like" button, then realized this wasn't Facebook.......beautiful photo.

Count me in on loving the aft balconies, for this reason....the views!

Gwen [emoji3]

I have stayed in 8672 on Radiance and the corner 8096 on Rhapsody. There was some vibration on Rhapsody, but we got used to it pretty quickly. The views of the wake are mesmerizing, and I can't wait to be in 8086 on Legend in October for 18 nights :)

We went on Oasis last year in a regular ocean view balcony and it was just not the same...

my husband would drop bagels down to me from the Windjammer balcony above. (Here's another apology to the guy down on 9256 that got hit with the packet of cream cheese that I missed.)

The only issue we've had was someone spilling coffee from the WJ on the Jewel. Deny all you want, dude- but the coffee stain on the ship was pretty clear... :eek:

Vicki, any confession you want to make here? :D:D

It's not claustrophobia for us. The huge balcony just does not overcome the inconvenient location for us.

I also like the convenience of mid-ship balconies(some of are over-sized, i.e.. Radiance class ships)). Many of the aft balconies are long, narrow "tunnel-like" things that I find claustrophobic and kind of dark. Maybe a corner aft would be less like this. :)

Oh, so YOU were the one!! LOL!! ;) :p

Normally we prefer central location, as being more convenient, less noise/vibration.

But on Alaska cruising, it is aft every time. We have our favorite aft wrap cabin, 9256 for both legs of our

northbound/southbound trip on Radiance. It is wonderful to view both sides of the the inland passage.

Another perk is room service "happy-tisers" (love that cheese fruit plate) and a bottle of wine set up on our

balcony table as we start to pull away from the glacier. Heavenly, and no "elbow to elbow" on the railing. ;)

Edited by island lady

foxgoodrich we had that deck 7 corner aft balcony on FOS and it was awesome!! We had the opposite side though. Fit 13 people on our balcony for a sail away party with plenty of room to spare. No soot, no noise, and no vibration that I remember. The only minor downside was that is WAS a long walk to get where we wanted to go but wasn't that big of a deal. We were sooo disappointed in our teeny side balcony on the next cruise we took. We would definitely book aft again!