Coffee cards

Fletch1

Maybe that's the reason for the new cards...do you know if an unused card (15 punches & no ship name/cruise #) could be exchanged for one of the new coffee cards?

We've exchanged our elite minibar for 2 coffee cards on short cruises and could never use both of them in only a couple of days. I know that a card previously used on a cruise can only get brewed coffee by using a punch on another cruise. I've never done it but have read posts saying an unused card could be used for brewed coffee without using a punch on another cruise. However with the new cards you're saying that won't be possible to do with an unused old style coffee card, correct?

If so, that will be a factor we'll consider when deciding our best exchange option for our elite minibar.

We just returned from a 17 day cruise on the star a few days ago. Like you we had several unused cards (3) due to turning in our mini bar on shorter cruises. They did not have the cruise or date on them. We took one to the IC fully expecting to use punches for the brewed coffee for DH (I get specialty), however the woman in charge took the card and gave us one of the new ones. She first asked where/when we got it and we told her. The other barista looked shocked, but she told him it was ok because of our reason. I think we were lucky and this was not the norm, but hey we were good with it!

Yep that's what it sounds like Frank. I think Princess is cleaning house and getting the old cards used up. Even though we have a number of older cards I think on our trip this month I will purchase a new card as my other half just likes the brewed coffee and I like specialty coffee and the cruise will be three weeks so I think it's worth it. We will keep the mini bar setup just for the sodas.

A couple of months ago in another thread about the coffee cards someone posted they were told that by next year Princess plans to make it a coffee drink package & only valid during the cruise where it's purchased. There's no way to confirm that change but it would make sense to me & would eliminate using coffee cards & using punches on later cruises. It was said that they'll add technology to cruise cards for all drink packages but there were no additional details posted.

This may be a work in progress for a future change but it's nothing I'm concerned about unless this change is made. Until it's only a rumor but sometimes rumors posted on CC turn out to be true. ;)

We just returned from a 17 day cruise on the star a few days ago. Like you we had several unused cards (3) due to turning in our mini bar on shorter cruises. They did not have the cruise or date on them. We took one to the IC fully expecting to use punches for the brewed coffee for DH (I get specialty), however the woman in charge took the card and gave us one of the new ones. She first asked where/when we got it and we told her. The other barista looked shocked, but she told him it was ok because of our reason. I think we were lucky and this was not the norm, but hey we were good with it!

Thanks for sharing your experience & like other things during a cruise experiences can vary. ;)

Maybe the baristas have some flexibility in situations like yours. Just because someone was treated nicely it doesn't mean anyone else will have the same experience. Although I'd think that a passenger who forcefully demanded a new coffee would most likely not receive one. There's no written policy that I've seen saying we can exchange an unused card & as you said you were lucky to have a barista give you a new card. :D

Edited by Astro Flyer

A couple of months ago in another thread about the coffee cards someone posted they were told that by next year Princess plans to make it a coffee drink package & only valid during the cruise where it's purchased. There's no way to confirm that change but it would make sense to me & would eliminate using coffee cards & using punches on later cruises.

If they do that, then the pricing will need to be based on cruise length.

I would not expect the price to be the same for a one day Vancouver-Seattle cruise as for a 21 day trans-Atlantic cruise.

On the recent Royal Princess cruise coffee cards were being sold on board for US$29 + 15% grat.

Was that for the new style card or the old one?

As I remember it, when Princess announced the new cards, they indicated there would be a price increase.

If they do that, then the pricing will need to be based on cruise length.

I would not expect the price to be the same for a one day Vancouver-Seattle cruise as for a 21 day trans-Atlantic cruise.

I agree & it would be like the other drink pages with a daily fee.

A couple of months ago in another thread about the coffee cards someone posted they were told that by next year Princess plans to make it a coffee drink package & only valid during the cruise where it's purchased. There's no way to confirm that change but it would make sense to me & would eliminate using coffee cards & using punches on later cruises. It was said that they'll add technology to cruise cards for all drink packages but there were no additional details posted.

This may be a work in progress for a future change but it's nothing I'm concerned about unless this change is made. Until it's only a rumor but sometimes rumors posted on CC turn out to be true. ;)

They're going to have a hard time selling them if you can't use them in future cruises. Sounds like another cruise critic rumor started a while ago.

Is it possible for my husband and I to share a card? In other words, can you use two "punches" at the same time? Or get two brewed coffees at the same time?

Yes on the punches. The brewed, I'm not sure. I never tried it. My guess is it would depend on the barista.

You can definitely share for the specialty coffees. They would punch the card for each coffee.

As to brewed coffee and tea, on the Crown and the Grand, I used my coffee card to get brewed coffee for me and gourmet tea for my wife. Got the two at the same time. First time I did it I asked if I could get one of each and was told "No Problem".

A change of that sort would kill it for me. I buy a card and use it for fresh-brewed coffee. I don't mind that they write the voyage info on the card as I give it to my wife on the next cruise and she uses the punches. I occasionally use a punch but normally just get the fresh-brewed coffee.

If I wasn't going to get value from the punches I would just drink the ship coffee. I don't see being able to use up that many punches on a cruise unless it's a very long one. There are just too many calories in those fancy coffee drinks to go through a lot of them.

Is it possible for my husband and I to share a card? In other words, can you use two "punches" at the same time? Or get two brewed coffees at the same time?

Thank you!!

For the brewed coffee there's no problem especially on the Royal & Regal. On the other ships you might have to get them separately until you get to know the server.

Thank you!!

While it may be possible it is only partially ethical. Two punches at one time is not an issue as they are a limited use item. Once they are gone they are gone and there is no issue with sharing them. However, the fresh-brewed coffee is intended for the holder of the card only. It's like the all-inclusive-beverage package - one isn't supposed to share the "unlimited" portion of the coffee card.

Many people don't care about that and don't have a problem "cheating" on the card use. Many of the baristas don't seem to have an issue with it either. However, I have read other posts where people were called on it. Personally, I use my card for fresh-brewed and an occasional punch and my wife uses the punches but doesn't get the fresh-brewed coffee (unless she has her own card).

Currently aboard the Regal Princess, and the coffee card is now $31 plus the 15% gratuity (turns out even better trade value when I got 2 for my Elite mini bar).

Also I found out that a pot of tea from the tea tower on the Regal is now able to be gotten with a card punch ($2.75 otherwise). When I was on the Royal Princess in fall 2014, the tea tower was not available as a punch on the card.

Currently aboard the Regal Princess, and the coffee card is now $31 plus the 15% gratuity (turns out even better trade value when I got 2 for my Elite mini bar).

Thanks for the update...can you still use a card punch instead of paying $3.50 at Gelato's? l'm asking because a recent post said that Gelato's was no longer included with the AIBP.

Thanks for the update...can you still use a card punch instead of paying $3.50 at Gelato's? l'm asking because a recent post said that Gelato's was no longer included with the AIBP.

I can't say, as I haven't looked at the Gelato's menu this cruise.

I used a punch on the Regal for 3 scoops of Gelato.

In response to the rumor of doing away with cards I'd have to wonder who would trade in the mini bar, especially on a cruise shorter then 7 nights if you don't get 2 coffee cards that don't expire for the specialty drinks.

I believe Princess is merely flushing out the old cards to prevent the abuse of using them forever for the fresh brewed.

Edited by cruzsnooze

In response to the rumor of doing away with cards I'd have to wonder who would trade in the mini bar, especially on a cruise shorter then 7 nights if you don't get 2 coffee cards that don't expire for the specialty drinks.

I believe Princess is merely flushing out the old cards to prevent the abuse of using them forever for the fresh brewed.

The ability to trade in the mini-bar for two coffee cards is relatively new. I imagine that option would just go away.

Thanks for reporting that a card punch is still an option. :)

I am hopeful that you're correct because there are probably many cost saving's proposals & some become rumors but are never implemented. My apologies for reporting an unsubstantiated rumor & I only shared it because as I recall their source used could be credible to me. As I originally posted it's nothing I'm concerned about unless it's implemented.

But sometimes a CC rumor is learning about a future change...and sometimes not. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

You can definitely share for the specialty coffees. They would punch the card for each coffee.

As to brewed coffee and tea, on the Crown and the Grand, I used my coffee card to get brewed coffee for me and gourmet tea for my wife. Got the two at the same time. First time I did it I asked if I could get one of each and was told "No Problem".

I love coffee but not so much for the specialty coffees - espresso, etc. If I purchase this coffee card, would I be able to get a coffee for free anywhere on the ship? Would this be coffee made from fresh grounds? We'll be sailing on the Coral in June northbound from Vancouver to Alaska.

Thanks for reporting that a card punch is still an option. :)

I am hopeful that you're correct because there are probably many cost saving's proposals & some become rumors but are never implemented. My apologies for reporting an unsubstantiated rumor & I only shared it because as I recall their source used could be credible to me. As I originally posted it's nothing I'm concerned about unless it's implemented.

But sometimes a CC rumor is learning about a future change...and sometimes not. ;)

My take on it is simply that the mini bar value would be too high compared to just unlimited coffee for the duration of your cruise. The 15 specialty drinks at least present a comparable value and if you've paid for 15 you should get 15 drinks no matter how many cruises it takes. :D

I love coffee but not so much for the specialty coffees - espresso, etc. If I purchase this coffee card, would I be able to get a coffee for free anywhere on the ship? Would this be coffee made from fresh grounds? We'll be sailing on the Coral in June northbound from Vancouver to Alaska.
Fresh brewed coffee with the coffee card is available at the International Cafe and several bars. The buffet, dining rooms and room service have complementary coffee made from liquid concentrate.

If you are using the punches for specialty coffee drinks, they are available at the IC and the buffet and the dining rooms. There should also be one or more bars offering specialty coffee drinks in the morning.