Key West Airport to Fort Lauderdale

daffyraffy

Hi

We are flying RT into Key West but cruising from Fort Lauderdale. Does anyone have a suggestion on which car rental company has drop off and pick up from Port Everglades? Appreciate a response.

Thank you!

Take your pick. Unlike what cb said, all the major rental car companies are here. Enterprise, Hertz, Budget and Avis have locations just outside of Port Everglades, so I would go with one of those 4. Otherwise, all the major companies are also at the FLL airport, which is only a few miles away from PE.

I hope you are coming in at least a day early and leaving a day later and plan on spending some time in Key West and/or the other keys. It is around a 4 hour drive (plus time for rental car pick-up and drop-off) in ideal circumstances and if there is an accident on the Overseas Highway you can be stuck for hours.

Edited by capriccio

You mean Key West has an actual airport? Imagine that!

It is a very nice airport too, accepts airline jets. Flew into it last year for a day trip from Boca Raton.

Otherwise, figure 3.5 to 4 hrs drive from Key West to FLL.

It is a very nice airport too, accepts airline jets. Flew into it last year for a day trip from Boca Raton.

I figured it would be a puddle jumper airport. Admittedly when I was in Key West I wasn't looking for an airport.

Edited by Treven

Absolutely correct Lou. 737s and 738s are currently flying in/out Key West, including direct flights to DC. Smaller jets too, like E75s.

Most rental car companies do what you want, but it's not cheap. The least expensive option I found is Dollar, for their smallest car is $59 per day. That's for pick up at Key West Airport and drop off at Ft Lauderdale International. Why fly into KW instead of FLL? Would be a lot easier as that causeway from KW can get really jammed, especially if there's an accident.

Most rental car companies do what you want, but it's not cheap. The least expensive option I found is Dollar, for their smallest car is $59 per day. That's for pick up at Key West Airport and drop off at Ft Lauderdale International. Why fly into KW instead of FLL? Would be a lot easier as that causeway from KW can get really jammed, especially if there's an accident.

Maybe they want to go to Key West, in addition to a cruise?

My sister winters at her home in Key West - so we are there often. We drive down from north of Ft Myers and the portion between Key West and Miami - is around 4 hrs - IF things are moving along with no problems. In many places it is just a two lane road - so please give yourself enough time. I hope you are adding days on to the front or back of your cruise to enjoy KW. Tons of fun and so much to explore.

Edited by Jane2357