What time should we REALLY arrive at the port to checkin?

mom02

I've read that the cruise line will send me info on what time they want me to check in at the pier. But what time should I REALLY be there? Is it better to get there early or late to avoid long lines and the majority of the crowd? Will they still check me in if I arrive before the time they gave me? TIA!

if you get information telling you to report at x time, then report at that time.

some ports are indeed turning people way now if you try and check in prior to the time you are given.

if you are not given an exact time then most ports begin checking people in about 930 or 10 but lines can be extremely long until boarding begins about 1130-noon.

If you truly want to avoid long lines and waiting, do not arrive early. More and more cruise passengers simply love to line up and wait. Why I will never understand, but they do.

If you arrive after lunch, you will simply walk right on through.

What cruise line are we talking about?

From our experience there really isn't a lot of reason to be at the Terminal before 11am. But again, some cruise lines do things a little differently.

Sorry I forgot to mention we'll be cruising Celebrity Solstice out of Seattle

If you truly want to avoid long lines and waiting, do not arrive early. More and more cruise passengers simply love to line up and wait. Why I will never understand, but they do.

If you arrive after lunch, you will simply walk right on through.

That can be true. On one cruise we dropped off our bags with the porters and went and toured the city. We arrived back around 3:00 and there was NO ONE in line at all, we had the whole check-in to ourselves.

I think this is just personal preference - some people want to arrive and check in early, and get on board as soon as possible for the first day of their cruise which they have paid for. I have seen long lines early, and long lines later. We prefer to arrive earlier than later, and yes we have to wait for the cabin to be opened but such is life. :)

That can be true. On one cruise we dropped off our bags with the porters and went and toured the city. We arrived back around 3:00 and there was NO ONE in line at all, we had the whole check-in to ourselves.

Usually by 2:00 PM the lines have vanished. Often there will also be something still open for a late lunch.

Usually by 2:00 PM the lines have vanished. Often there will also be something still open for a late lunch.

Can't agree more. After about 1.30-2pm there are always very short lines if any. A case of the later the better, and you miss out on nothing on board.

We sail RCI and Princess. We fly in a day or two early and fly out the day after the cruise in order to explore the port city on those days. We always arrive early at the port, usually between 10-10:30 a.m. Yes, we want to be onboard the ship the moment it starts accepting passengers. We have never been turned away for showing up early. Because we arrive early we are also among the first onboard the ship at the head of the "long line". I like the fact that I can go up to the buffet, have lunch and just as we are finishing they will announce that the cabins are ready. Go to the cabin and our luggage is already there waiting for us. We go out and explore the ship while others are still dining or boarding and get lots of pix with no one in our shots. Then back to the cabin to unpack before the muster drill. The rest of the day is free and clear with no worries about when my luggage will arrive and then having to stay up late to unpack. I want it all done before we even leave port. Makes for a very relaxing start to our cruise.

Sorry I forgot to mention we'll be cruising Celebrity Solstice out of Seattle

You can arrive anytime you want. The port typically open at around 10:30 for arriving passengers and boarding usually begins by 11:00 - 11:30. The times are suggested to help spread the crowd out but are not enforced with Celebrity.

if you get information telling you to report at x time, then report at that time.

some ports are indeed turning people way now if you try and check in prior to the time you are given.

if you are not given an exact time then most ports begin checking people in about 930 or 10 but lines can be extremely long until boarding begins about 1130-noon.

What ports and what cruise line(s)? That has never happened to us in 25 years of cruising with RCI with the most recent cruise being 3 weeks ago. We typically arrive around 10:30 and are on board by about 11:30. We also have never received a communication with a request for a specific boarding time.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

What ports and what cruise line(s)? That has never happened to us in 25 years of cruising with RCI with the most recent cruise being 3 weeks ago. We typically arrive around 10:30 and are on board by about 11:30. We also have never received a communication with a request for a specific boarding time.

I see by your list of cruises, you have not sailed with Princess. Princess gives schedules for boarding, although they don't enforce it.

For the life of me, I can't remember the one port that lets people out, but doesn't let anybody in before about 11 or 11:30. Some place here in the US.

I see by your list of cruises, you have not sailed with Princess. Princess gives schedules for boarding, although they don't enforce it.

For the life of me, I can't remember the one port that lets people out, but doesn't let anybody in before about 11 or 11:30. Some place here in the US.

I admit to my bias and lack of knowledge with other cruise lines based on my singular experience. :) But we have not experienced a restriction on entry - other than the seemingly typical 10 - 10:30 arrival time limitation - at any of the US ports we've cruised out of, which include Bayonne, Baltimore, Port Canaveral, Port Everglades, Miami, and San Juan.

I have heard of cruise lines issuing boarding times and RCI has done this occasionally - often with arrivals of transatlantics where customs times may be extended. But I've also heard - as you indicate with Princess as example - that they typically are not enforced.

Happy cruising!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

From time to time boarding times will change due to out side activity beyond the control of the Cruise Line or Terminal employees.

Example: Last Oct we were to catch a Princess Ship departing from Pier 12 Red Hook (New York).

A week or so before we left home we received the message from Princess that boarding times had been moved down with a start time of 2:30 PM and a ship departure time of 7:00 PM instead of the normal 4:00 pm. This was due to Coast Guard drills that would be conducted in the Harbor area. Princess also provided a suggested arrival schedule by deck. And, Princess added that the access area leading into the terminal will be crowded with heavy traffic.

Our Hotel had a check out time of 11:00 AM so we dropped our room keys on the desk at 10:58 and picked up our final bill. Then we waited awhile in one of the Hotel lounges. At 12:00 we moved down to the cab rank outside of the Hotel.

A Hotel staff member asked if we wanted a Cab? Said yes. He stated we had two choices. One, we could use a cab in which the driver may not know what he is doing and may not speak English. Two, he can help us catch one of the Black Limmo's in which the driver will speak English. We selected the Limmo.

At that time New York had several streets blocked for repairs, and several more blocked in Preperation for a visit to the city by the Pope. So, our Limmo driver had to take several alternate routes. We arrived at the the terminal a little after 1:00 PM.

We showed our preferred boarding pass to the person at the door. She smiled and stated the elete lounge is over there on the left, good luck.

The lounge was jammed full of people that had arrived early. The terminal staff had set up more chairs along the wall out side of the lounge. As we waited more passengers showed and formed a large group standing around out side of the Lounge.

Later we found out that several that were standing there had not checked in.

About 3:00 PM Terminal staff stated we will start to board now. Show your cruise card as you leave the lounge. Those who had not checked in had to work their way out of the crowd and get back in line at the check in desk.

And, the standard boarding pass line at the other end of the terminal had to wait some more while this crowd cleared out.

This is not normal but does show that passengers must be ready to be flexible in their planning on arriving at the terminal.

Bob

I personally can't wait to get onboard and start my vacation, explore the ship, etc. We usually arrive around noon, and as hard as I try to get there earlier, we never do because we drive from Orlando to Ft Lauderdale (the only port we've cruised from) and it's a 3 hour drive. Always seem to have some delay. Walking onto your ship the first time is just magical-it's all pretty and glittering and exciting. This also gives you time to look around, find a place for lunch, and if you are on Princess, most likely get to your room. Happy cruising!