Protocol for reserving a table in the cafeteria

NCCruiseguy111

I had that happen once too when I was sailing solo. After that, I put the chair up at an angle. It was at a two-top table next to the window and out of the way so I knew no one would be passing by it to trip over it.

Stuff happens...you learn the more you cruise and have to remind yourself you're on vacation. ;)

My wife and I have always welcomed others to have a seat when asked if they could join us, especially when the buffet area was crowded.Besides it's another way to meet other people.

I guess I am in the minority here - but I find it rude to save tables no matter how you do it. Why take up a table while others have finished getting their food and need a place to sit - but you are taking up a table with your "stuff". If everyone would just wait until they had their food to find a table I bet there would be a lot less wandering around trying to find a place to sit and would be able to eat the hot food you are holding! Same things happens in fast food restaurants off ship- people position a kid or one of the parents at a table - while the rest of the crew stands in line - twenty minutes later someone brings their food to eat. In the meantime - others have their food and have stood around waiting for table to sit down. Never made sense to me -

On Oceana, I left my hoodie on the chair, and my DH left his hat on the table whilst we both went to get food. Like a lot of people we don't use the buffet often as I really hate doing table tag, and either eating cold food, or eating alone whilst DH gets food or vice versa. When we returned with our trays, another couple were sat at the table. When we remonstrated they refused to move, and said they thought we had left and forgotten to take our belongings. We ended up wandering around with our food looking for another free table. Now we only go up there for a quick snack sometimes, and never at breakfast or lunch times.

So many guys put their hats on tables designed for dining these days, but to me this seems so unsanitary:eek:. Am I the only one bothered by this? Putting the hat on a chair might work just as well! On the other hand, a hat left on a table at the Oceanview would definitely keep me from even thinking about claiming a seat there:rolleyes:.

I'm sorry to say...I'm in the 'prefer to get my table, then go up to the buffet' camp.

To me it's a bit like going to a self service cafe, or having a pub lunch. In one of those you go in, select a nice table, put down your things then wander off to read the menu, order at the bar or take food from the self service counter.

The only place you queue up with your tray, get your food then find a seat is a school canteen, and I'd hate to think of the Celebrity buffet as a school canteen!!!

So many guys put their hats on tables designed for dining these days, but to me this seems so unsanitary:eek:. Am I the only one bothered by this? Putting the hat on a chair might work just as well! On the other hand, a hat left on a table at the Oceanview would definitely keep me from even thinking about claiming a seat there:rolleyes:.

DH has a big leather Ozzie bush hat (his nickname is Hatman!) he puts it on the table upside down, so not unsanitary, and I think it would probably fall or get knocked off a chair.

I'm sorry to say...I'm in the 'prefer to get my table, then go up to the buffet' camp.

To me it's a bit like going to a self service cafe, or having a pub lunch. In one of those you go in, select a nice table, put down your things then wander off to read the menu, order at the bar or take food from the self service counter.

The only place you queue up with your tray, get your food then find a seat is a school canteen, and I'd hate to think of the Celebrity buffet as a school canteen!!!

I personally have no problems with that. You're there, grabbing food, heading back to sit down.

The rude people are the ones holding tables for people not there at all because "they'll be there soon".

I find table saving the same as lounger saving. Get your food and then find a table. Now that I've read this thread, I realize that perhaps I should be a joiner rather than fight the trend so my plan for our next cruise is to leave my shoes on the table, thus reserving it. I think that will work....

I find table saving the same as lounger saving. Get your food and then find a table. Now that I've read this thread, I realize that perhaps I should be a joiner rather than fight the trend so my plan for our next cruise is to leave my shoes on the table, thus reserving it. I think that will work....

You might come back to find them polished for you!

<snip> If someone means pick a spot and then go get food that's different. On my last cruise I was in a group of six, and with many six person tables by the Windows taken with only 2 people each (my pet peeve) we went to get a table first and then food.

Hey, I'd much rather sit at a table for two with just my DH, but those aren't always available. We get tired of having to sit with strangers to eat.

Am I the only one who think it rude to grab a table before your whole party has arrived? OP, were you just sitting there, not eating, while others were walking around with full plates looking for a place to eat? This is as bad as 'saving' a row in the theater for your friends or the loungers at one end of the pool, while your friends come and go as they please. If you want to save a table, go to the MDR, or eat in the buffet during non-peak times.

My husband and I fill our plates and then find a table. Whoever fills their plate first, finds a table and lets the other know. If we must take a larger table, we are happy to share. We usually take our plates outside to the aft deck. There is always seating available out there and they are best seats on the ship.

Edited by Marelaine

And once again the discussion on CC shows how differently people view things. Obviously there is no right or wrong. Perhaps we need a Mat D to direct us to the tables in the buffet. Now that's Modern Luxury.

We do it both ways, depending on busy the buffet is. Our preference is to eat in the MDR, given time and whether it's open or not.

I personally don't think the analogies of pool lounger or theater seat savings really apply here. People reserve the loungers for hours at a time sometimes. They'll put stuff down and not come back for an hour or two.

I think when they put their stuff on a table in the buffet they are going to be using it as soon as they get their food.

I never really thought of this as an issue. When I go to the buffet with my partner or family, we all go get our food, and then go find a table. I can't say we've ever really had an issue finding a place to sit, so maybe we've just been lucky? We tend to do the buffet only at lunchtime on occasion.

We let the waiters handle the drinks, so that's not an issue of multiple trips.

If we have a balcony, we prefer to take our food back to the stateroom. It's much quieter than the pool deck and we can still enjoy the open air. Plus, we know we have a guaranteed table!

Hmm. Honestly, if we saw wrapped cutlery at a table with no one around, we would not sit down. Someone obviously is coming back to that table shortly and it's "taken", as far as we are concerned. I guess others disagree, but that's how we feel. :)

I guess we are those people. We often set down our silverware, juice, sea pass,

glasses etc while we get our hot food.

We do this also, and will go as far as to open our rolled silver while we go back and get our food to let others know we are returning. If it is a very busy service one of us will wait till the other comes back.

Just off eclipse where dw and I played tag with one staying at table while other got more food. Seemed like if you took two steps waiter would clear table leaving no evidence that someone was sitting there. Buffet never seemed overcrowded though, plenty of seats at all times.

We do this also, and will go as far as to open our rolled silver while we go back and get our food to let others know we are returning. If it is a very busy service one of us will wait till the other comes back.

You just need to get enough silverware to spell out the words: RESERVED :p!

Actually, people who put down their stuff, just to hold the table while they run through the line to get food don't bug me. What I find rude are the card players and folks who camp out at a table all day to read/do Sudoku/etc. It's not a problem during "off" hours, but when people are walking around at mealtimes, trying to find a table -- it just makes sense to take your non-dining activities elsewhere. On the other end of the spectrum are the kind folks who will invite you to join them, if seating is scarce. :)

Edited by wwcruisers

My husband is a very early riser, so for breakfast, he always is having his coffee and making my tea before I arrive. He enjoys seeing what I have chosen to eat before he makes his choices. This is always the case - breakfast or lunch, along with eating on the aft. Neither one of us has yet to have an incident...maybe we are just lucky. I have never heard of reservations for the Ocean View and I hope that it doesn't happen in my lifetime. However, just when you think you have heard everything, something unique and unexpected comes along...:eek:

.....I have never heard of reservations for the Ocean View and I hope that it doesn't happen in my lifetime.....

Actually, they used to have it on Celebrity ships and it was quite nice.

They blocked off a section at the back of the Ocean View where you could make reservations for a casual, quiet sit-down and be served dinner.

They used that area for training new waiters.

For evenings when people were tired and didn't feel like changing clothes or were not in the mood for a long drawn-out dinner in the noisy MDR, it was a nice, casual quiet place to eat.

But there is no need for concern as they are unlikely to bring it back.

I guess the closest substitute for it today for a casual sit-down dinner with table service is Bistro on 5.