Passport expiring

PARTYCOUPLE21

Does the 6 month passport expiring date still apply? We are cruising in beginning of June and passport expires end of June, will this be a issue?

Passport expire on the day they expire, not six months before. Some countries do require you to have 6 months remaining on your passport following your visit though. So the answer depends on what ports you are cruising to. If you are cruising in the Caribbean there are no countries that I am aware of that have a 6 month rule for cruise ship passengers.

We are only doing a Bahamas sailing this time around. Just don't want to get to port and get turned away?

Then renew the passport and take all possible problems out of the equation.

There's plenty of time.

Although technically you do not need a passport for a cruise. I would never leave the country without a passport. God forbid you are injured or get sick and you need to be hospitalized in Miami or such, without a passport you might be able to leave the country without getting an Embassy involved.

Does the 6 month passport expiring date still apply? We are cruising in beginning of June and passport expires end of June, will this be a issue?

On a closed loop Caribbean (Bahamas count too) cruise as long as it is valid on the day you return to the US, it is fine.

Edited by zqvol

Tortola, BVI has a 6 month rule. I have a boat down there. They can be strict or they can wave it through at their discretion.

Except that a cruiser on a closed loop cruise, even that goes to teh BVI, doesn't even need a passport, so it doesn't really matter.

We renewed our passports about 1 month ago. It took 2 weeks and 1 day with normal service, that is no expediting.

Renewed both kids passports a little while ago. One arrived in 2 weeks. The other said it left Little Rock, AR and that was it for the tracking. I waited three weeks at which point the post office said it was lost. I mailed a DS-86 form to the state dept to report it not received. Three days later the original passport appeared. The state dept is not sure if it will get cancelled and a new on issued or if it they will disregard the DS-86.

Remember to renew with plenty of time.

Renew the passport. Things happen such as having a medical issue and having to spend a few weeks on land.

Don't take a chance.

Keith

If it were to happen there would be plenty of time to get a passport renewed but the odds of that happening are so slight I know that I personally would not even factor in.

Now that this thread has been moved from the CCL forum I will add that there are some cruise lines that do require all passengers to have a passport with 6 months validity remaining on them in order to board, but Carnival is not one of them.

The 6-months-or-more-left rule seems to be the standard for most travel. It is the rule for our campus international travel programs.

It's common, but by no means standard, for international air travel. However for cruising to the Caribbean, Mexico, Canada, Bermuda from the US it's almost never required except if the cruise line itself imposes a requirement beyond what the laws and regulations call for.