Assembling a first aid kit with OTC Medicines

margeecruiser

I am trying to find a better way to pack my first aid kit. I have been using a tacky plastic bag with band aids, cold medicine, nausea medicine, etc. This is not prescription stuff, just OTC stuff the ship store charges terribly high prices for.

Do you have any suggestions to better pack this stuff.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have 1 small medical leather bag and 1 medium leather bag that I got many years ago. The small one is for over the counter medications and other various items. The medium size one is for all prescription medications.

The smaller bag goes in DH's carry-on case and the medium size bag goes in my carry-on.

I use a small zippered bag that is essentially a small shaving kit. It's nylon, but waterproof on the inside so no worries if anything liquid should leak. It's only 6" x4" x2", and holds all my OTC meds, Band-Aids, moleskin, and ointments. And it's small enough to easily go into my carry-on bag.

Any meds that are in blister packs I remove from their boxes to reduce bulk. Any meds like Motrin or Benadryl that are in large bottles at home are transferred into smaller travel size bottles to save space. This bag stays packed and gets checked for expiry dates before each trip.

I used to use a ziplock bag. Now I use a small red first aid kit bag that was free with my purchase of bandaids and antibiotic ointment at Target. It has a couple of little pouches/pockets that keep things a bit more nicely organized. But really he ziplock worked just fine :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use a clear zippered durable plastic bag that my queen bed sheets came in.

It is the size of a 7 x 11 inches -- depth of 4 inches....They packed those babies tight:eek:

I put in gauze and tape

Assortment of band-aids

Tylenol

Motrin

Benadryl

Neosporin

Visine

OTC ear drops

lomotil

Tums

nail clippers/tweezers

Fits in the caarryon and does not take up alot of room.

See thru for TSA

And easy to get to.

Safe travels.

Lioness, great idea. I love it's see through. Never know what TSA wants to see. Thanks

Your list is about the same as mine. I take lots of cold stuff in blister packs too.

Margee

Edited by margeecruiser

I am trying to find a better way to pack my first aid kit. I have been using a tacky plastic bag with band aids, cold medicine, nausea medicine, etc. This is not prescription stuff, just OTC stuff the ship store charges terribly high prices for.

Margee

I have a red cloth pencil case into which all my medicines fit. I've been using it for years as our traveling first aid kit, so the whole family knows just what it is and will search it out in my bag.

I pack my OTC meds in one of those SuMTuWThFSa plastic thingies from the dollar store. Since I don't need much of anything, I put a couple pills into each compartment. Then I write on the outside with a Sharpie, "Tylenol 2 every 4" or "Sinus 1 every 12". It's the smallest way you can carry OTC meds.

For vacations I buy the expensive bandaids that have Neosporin IN the bandaid itself. A couple bandaids will fit in my pocket for a shore excursion.

i've done this in all that different ways that people are suggesting, but what i like the most is a hard sided plastic box with a snap lid. I've purchased travel first aide kits before that come in this, and i just restuff with the meds i want to bring. i feel like putting them in a make up bag takes up more room and the plastic box just sits at the bottom of the bag easily. i can't explain well why i prefer it, but there you are!

No need to take meds in their containers or packages.

-Blister packs are easiest

-Repackage into puny medical/food grade ziplocks.

Either write the directions on the bags or cut out the info from the box.

We also pack moleskin, cut into sizes before the trip. Works much better than a bandaid for hot spots on your shoes.

Instead on Neosporin we use hand sanitizer. A bit painful for a second but one less thing to carry.

If using generics, write the brand name.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I bought a small makeup bag at our local dollar store...it's a funky zebra print, so when I tell my husband or daughter to get the med bag, they know which one it is!

Just an idea....if you include various pills for headache, nausea, etc...remove them from the bulky bottles and boxes, and put them in zipper baggies with labels...they take up so much less space that way! Make sure the label states the type of pill and also the recommended dosages.

Same thing for bandages...I don't pack the box, just put the strips of bandages in a baggie.

I include a strip of moleskin, which is great for blisters.You will need to put in a small pair of scissors to cut it with..make sure you get the childrens safety scissors, not a pointy pair, if you plan to take the med bag in your carry-on bag for flying...I had scissors taken away from me at one checkpoint because they had sharp ends...and they were only two inch long embroidery scissors!

Margee

Wife uses a Tupperware lunch box.

My son is a Boy Scout and his troop was selling all different sizes of first aid kits. One of them was a nice travel size one. That one goes in the luggage on all of our trips. The meds go in my hand luggage just in case.

When we get back from our trip i restock the items used and put it right back in the bag. Now if i could only get the clothes washed, folded and put back in the luggage i would be golden:)

We also make a copy of the box the blister packs come in and tape that to the blister pack so we know what it is and dosages. I have thought about a ridged box (pencil, container,type) but that limits where I can pack it. I've decided to go with a cosmetic case, the type that rolls up, unrolls to hang. That will give me the space I need, keep stuff organized and I can pack it flat. I always have room in my luggage, my problem is keeping that weight under the limits.

Margee