Rain and Luggage

My luggage got soaked once; it was bad. Since then, I have always wrapped shoes in individual plastic bags, to prevent them damaging clothing. Clothes can dry out, but shoes are dirty no matter how clean they look, and water gets it over everything. I use XL ziplocs for clothing if I'm worried about heavy rain.

I'll bite, what are eBags?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

eBags is a website that sells all kinds of different bags. I assume the poster who said they "pack in eBags" means they use packing cubes because I'm not sure how you would pack in a website.

You CAN get packing cubes on eBags' site but you can also get just as good quality for less on Amazon.

From experience I can report the contents can get wet even when inside plastic in your bag. I have always used heavy plastic to completely surround my clothing. It didn't seem to work the day it poured in Port Everglades when departing on Navigator in November. When our luggage arrived, it was soaked on the outside and lots of clothing on the inside was wet and faded. We had to hang our wet clothing all around the cabin to dry out. RCCL offered us nothing!!

Now I double wrap in plastic and keep my fingers crossed.

Why not buy a roll of pallet wrap ( Like heavy duty cling film ) and waterproof the whole bag like they do on those machines at airports?

The cruise line, like the air lines won't refuse to load bags wrapped like that as they can still be X rayed.

Several years ago we were flying to San Juan for a cruise through Dallas. While in Dallas our luggage was left sitting on the tarmac uncovered (we could see it from the waiting area) when a big storm complete with a tornado warning whipped through the airport. When we arrived in San Juan the insides of our fabric luggage were completely soaked through. I have always packed my clothes in plastic bags. My DH always laughed at me. I sat by the tub in the hotel and just lifted each bag out of the suitcase and poured the water off the bag and into the tub. My stuff was fine. DH had all of his stuff spread out all over the room to dry and had to send much of it to be laundered and pressed once we boarded the ship. He doesn't laugh at me anymore and wants to make sure that we have plenty of 2 gallon zip lock bags available before packing.;)

From experience I can report the contents can get wet even when inside plastic in your bag. I have always used heavy plastic to completely surround my clothing. It didn't seem to work the day it poured in Port Everglades when departing on Navigator in November. When our luggage arrived, it was soaked on the outside and lots of clothing on the inside was wet and faded. We had to hang our wet clothing all around the cabin to dry out. RCCL offered us nothing!!

Now I double wrap in plastic and keep my fingers crossed.

If you are only surrounding your clothes in plastic, that is not going to keep them dry in a heavy rain. We use packing cubes and 2 1/2 gallon ziploc bags which are all packed inside a heavy duty massive trash bag which is zip tied closed. Not really sure the size of the bags as they are "borrowed" from an undisclosed source.;) I am 5'4" and they are taller than me.:p

Leaving from Galveston sunday. Weather here in southeast Texas has been horrible and more expected to start tomorrow night through first part of next week.

Is there any kind of restriction or policy against wrapping luggage in plastic? I was thinking that if the weather is bad on sunday about cutting garbage bags and wrapping them tightly and cutting slits for the handles. I've seen the luggage carts just sitting out in the pouring rain and read about contents being completely soaked. Just trying to prevent this.

Would this work, or am I completely crazy???

If you can swing it, consider purchasing polycarbonate (hard side) luggage. many are very light and waterproof.

Several years ago we were flying to San Juan for a cruise through Dallas. While in Dallas our luggage was left sitting on the tarmac uncovered (we could see it from the waiting area) when a big storm complete with a tornado warning whipped through the airport. When we arrived in San Juan the insides of our fabric luggage were completely soaked through. I have always packed my clothes in plastic bags. My DH always laughed at me. I sat by the tub in the hotel and just lifted each bag out of the suitcase and poured the water off the bag and into the tub. My stuff was fine. DH had all of his stuff spread out all over the room to dry and had to send much of it to be laundered and pressed once we boarded the ship. He doesn't laugh at me anymore and wants to make sure that we have plenty of 2 gallon zip lock bags available before packing.;)

Yep. I live by my 2-gallon bags!! (I just have to be careful as they do compress things so that it's easy to go over on the weight if you're not careful!)

But definitely protect the stuff, especially if you're traveling when there is a possibility of thunderstorms and/or tornadoes - when certain weather conditions occur, the airport ground crew is REQUIRED to leave the tarmac immediately...they can't wait to hop on the luggage carts and must leave them there.

Would that have been Port Canaveral. We got off the Liberty last year in January. My daughters boyfriend pointed out to those luggage bins being rained on. We know there had to be some pretty unhappy cruisers for that cruise.

No that was Norfolk, VA. That wasn't the first time our luggage got wet. On another cruise a few years ago our connection to SJU in MIA was delayed due to a t-storm as we sat at the gate watching our luggage get soaked. The hotel in SJU let us use their dryers and we hung wet clothes to dry in our room and on the balcony. Some clothes were ruined, but the airline paid a generous claim. I had receipts and some things still had tags on them.

Zip lock bags keep your clothes dry, helps keep them from wrinkling, saves space in your luggage and helps keep outfits organized while traveling. But I am a bit prejudiced.:D

As stated before, you do need to watch the weight of your luggage as they do compress down and you can go overweight easily.

I'll bite, what are eBags?

Packing cubes. It keeps our clothes from being all jumbled up and wrinkled. DH was not interested in using them so I only got them for myself. After he saw how my clothes looked the first time I used them, he was sold!

Any opinions about which would be better....2 gallon ziplocs or stretch wrap (pallet wrap)?

I'm sure hoping for sunny skies!!! But sunday's forecast is getting worse and worse.

I'm going to get the BIG zip locks for each of my packing cubes from now on - not going to take any chances.

I've always saved those heavy plastic zippered bags that blankets, drapes, sheets, etc, come in ... all different sizes. Never knew why I saved them, I just did! When I first started traveling and read about packing cubes, my brain made the connection.

Now I use them for packing cubes. They're great, and much cheaper than any "real" packing cubes. When I'm worried about rain I line my suitcase with large plastic bags that can later be used for dirty laundry or as padding for fragile souvenirs.