Rain and Luggage

Leaving from Galveston sunday. Weather here in southeast Texas has been horrible and more expected to start tomorrow night through first part of next week.

Is there any kind of restriction or policy against wrapping luggage in plastic? I was thinking that if the weather is bad on sunday about cutting garbage bags and wrapping them tightly and cutting slits for the handles. I've seen the luggage carts just sitting out in the pouring rain and read about contents being completely soaked. Just trying to prevent this.

Would this work, or am I completely crazy???

Leaving from Galveston sunday. Weather here in southeast Texas has been horrible and more expected to start tomorrow night through first part of next week.

Is there any kind of restriction or policy against wrapping luggage in plastic? I was thinking that if the weather is bad on sunday about cutting garbage bags and wrapping them tightly and cutting slits for the handles. I've seen the luggage carts just sitting out in the pouring rain and read about contents being completely soaked. Just trying to prevent this.

Other option is to pack your clothes in plastic in the suitcases. We have done this in the past when we knew there was going to be rain. We get the huge garbage bags, line the suitcase, pack clothes as usual and then zip tie the bag when all packed. We didn't care if the case got wet, we just left it open in a corner to dry after we unpacked.

How ironic! I saw some clear plastic luggage covers at a dollar store of all places. If memory serves, the plastic was quite thick too. I might have to return and check them out further. They sell them Ebay but for much more $$. FYI, I'm in Houston and we are totally rain soaked with more coming.

If it is cloth/canvas, buy some 3M Scotchgard. Spray the luggage a week before you go and let it air outside for a day. It'll then be highly water resistant (I don't dare say 100% waterproof but it'll be fine in anything other than a torrential downpour).

Other option is to pack your clothes in plastic in the suitcases. We have done this in the past when we knew there was going to be rain. We get the huge garbage bags, line the suitcase, pack clothes as usual and then zip tie the bag when all packed. We didn't care if the case got wet, we just left it open in a corner to dry after we unpacked.

I'm doing this too. :D

This happened to us last year on Carnival. We watched our luggage being soaked out in the rain, weren't too worried because it's Delsey hard sided. Wrong. Clothes were wet but they paid for our laundry and dry cleaning with no problem. Actually I was very impressed with Carnival, our first time sailing with them.

Reallyitsmema that's a good idea about the plastic inside the luggage. Maybe we'll do that![emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This happened to us last year on Carnival. We watched our luggage being soaked out in the rain, weren't too worried because it's Delsey hard sided. Wrong. Clothes were wet but they paid for our laundry and dry cleaning with no problem. Actually I was very impressed with Carnival, our first time sailing with them.

Reallyitsmema that's a good idea about the plastic inside the luggage. Maybe we'll do that![emoji3]

Would that have been Port Canaveral. We got off the Liberty last year in January. My daughters boyfriend pointed out to those luggage bins being rained on. We know there had to be some pretty unhappy cruisers for that cruise.

Especially be careful with any clothes with dyes that might run. I had a silk blouse ruin several pieces of clothing when my luggage got wet. Paper labels can stick themselves on other objects. I'd waterproof inside and out.

This happened to us last year on Carnival. We watched our luggage being soaked out in the rain, weren't too worried because it's Delsey hard sided. Wrong. Clothes were wet but they paid for our laundry and dry cleaning with no problem.

We had the same thing happen to us but it was at Miami airport where the luggage sat outside in the pouring rain. We had a burgundy canvas type suitcase and the dye went right through a lot of the clothes. It was impossible to get it out... either by washing it or dry cleaning. Insurance covered the cost to replace some of the clothing but they wanted receipts for everything,.. and of course, I didn't have ALL of them. We also had to send all the damaged clothing to them to inspect. :rolleyes:

We got rid of the burgundy case and now make sure we have the contents of the case covered with plastic before zipping it up! Lesson learned. ;)

Especially be careful with any clothes with dyes that might run. I had a silk blouse ruin several pieces of clothing when my luggage got wet. Paper labels can stick themselves on other objects. I'd waterproof inside and out.

I wouldn't spray any of that smelly, waterproof spray on the outside of my luggage, let alone the inside. I would not want my clothes smelling like chemicals.

I wouldn't spray any of that smelly, waterproof spray on the outside of my luggage, let alone the inside. I would not want my clothes smelling like chemicals.

I use the waterproofing on all my ski gear and it smells just for a day or two, then you would never know you've used it. Except that you are drier.

They may think you are hiding something.

I use the waterproofing on all my ski gear and it smells just for a day or two, then you would never know you've used it. Except that you are drier.

The OP is leaving on Sunday though. I wouldn't risk it, but I am hyper sensitive to smells. My DH uses a waterproof spray on his work boots and I make him go to the farthest corner of our property to spray it.:eek::)

How ironic! I saw some clear plastic luggage covers at a dollar store of all places. If memory serves, the plastic was quite thick too. I might have to return and check them out further. They sell them Ebay but for much more $$. FYI, I'm in Houston and we are totally rain soaked with more coming.

Hi Lisa - which dollar store (Dollar Tree, Dollar General, $0.99 store, ?) did you see them at? I'm leaving Sunday with packedandready.

I honestly hadn't even thought about the carts being out in the rain - Duh! I was thinking we'd be okay once we got the luggage to the terminal. Fortunately I believe the worst will be Saturday so hoping we will be okay on Sunday - fingers crossed.

Other option is to pack your clothes in plastic in the suitcases.

Yup! DW does this every trip bad weather forecast or not. She always suggests I bag mine too but I can't be bothered. I'm sure there will be an 'I told you so' moment some day. Not that there hasn't been many others before. :D

Edited by Big_G

The OP is leaving on Sunday though. I wouldn't risk it, but I am hyper sensitive to smells. My DH uses a waterproof spray on his work boots and I make him go to the farthest corner of our property to spray it.:eek::)

Yes, I agree it is super nasty when it goes on. Smell might not be gone for packing today...

I may try the plastic bag liner trick.

I've also seen a couple pieces of luggage fall off the carts/dock into the water - YIKES! Packing clothes in a plastic bag seems like a good idea! We pack all our clothes in eBags but they definitely aren't waterproof. It would be very easy to pack each eBag in their own zip lock bag!