All Things Avalon

FuelScience

5 minutes ago, KathyK13 said:

We are taking a Christmas Markets cruise from Vienna to Nuremberg in December.  We are spending 3 days in Budapest before taking the train or private car hire to Vienna.  I know we need a PCR test before flying to Budapest, and right now it looks like we only need proof of vaccination to get into Austria.  Germany requires people flying into Germany to fill out a passenger locator form; does anyone know if we still have to fill them out for the locations we will visit on the cruise?  TIA

You would be best to check back closer to mid-November, as things change rapidly with Covid requirements.  Fortunately, it doesn't seem as if cruises are being cancelled as they were last year, but as to requirements for entering countries, they can change overnight. 

Hope you enjoy your cruise, sounds like a great place to be with all the lights.  Looking forward for a review.

My late wife and I had our first European cruise on Passion May 2018. We had previously done mainly sea cruises but also cruised Mississippi, Yangtse and Murray River (Australia).

We did all the included tours and loved them. We were also keen Geocachers and used free time geocaching which took us to many interesting places, architectural, historical and scenic, many places not usually seen on tours.  Great if you like walking but using E-bikes is an option.

On thing wanted to see, but missed in Budapest due to lack of time, was the underground hospital.

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20170421-budapests-secret-underground-hospital

Another cruise is on the cards for next year so may get to it yet.

Edited by lyndarra
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I realize things are tenuous in covid times; but we have booked our first Avalon cruise. Cruising in Vietnam in November 2022. This trip was originally meant for 2020 but got put off with everything. Fingers crossed Cambodia and Vietnam will let us in a year from now.

• Like 2

On 12/9/2021 at 7:02 AM, ljandgb said:

I hope it goes so. you can come back and tell us about it.  We are seriously looking at the same cruise, but for 2023 (less for covid than our general schedule.)

i will. We booked it quite far out because it was actually booking up already!  But the good news of December is that it is now less than a year out! Already have my vacation slip in at work.

• 1 month later...

For those of you who have Avalon experience I have a question for you.

We have booked a 15 day cruise in France with a 2 night stay in Provence and 2 in Nice after the cruise is finished.  Our flight home is after the 4-day stay.

Since we’ve booked this through Avalon will they provide a transfer from the hotel to the airport?

Thank you in advance.

Keith

• 1 month later...

Has anyone had difficulty getting in to your Avalon account today?  It seems that they are having difficulty.  Here is what they show on the opening page: "We are experiencing systems issues that are affecting the phone line, booking systems and certain Web sites. We are aware and working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. "

I have not even been able to call them. With our upcoming cruise with Avalon I'm getting concerned that their problems are something other than a "system problem".

2 minutes ago, Playtennis said:

Has anyone had difficulty getting in to your Avalon account today?  It seems that they are having difficulty.  Here is what they show on the opening page: "We are experiencing systems issues that are affecting the phone line, booking systems and certain Web sites. We are aware and working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. "

I have not even been able to call them. With our upcoming cruise with Avalon I'm getting concerned that their problems are something other than a "system problem".

It’s pretty self explanatory.  Nothing nefarious going on.
Avalon, being part of the Globus Family, is in a very strong position. Nothing to worry about.  Their system will probably be back up very soon. 

If it’s something critical, try contacting them via Messenger on their Facebook page.  They’ve always been very responsive. AND forthcoming.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Playtennis said:

Kenster,

Thanks for your VERY prompt reply with a good explanation.  Today is (was) the day we can book excursions and, of course, not available.

Keith

Keith, I totally understand the frustration.  

We’ve done four Avalons and have never had a problem getting any excursion (included or optional) that we wanted. Even some that we waited until we were onboard to book. (Not that I suggest that, especially for the ones you really have your heart set on.) For many excursions, if there’s a big demand, they’ll just add another bus.  A few may be restricted, such as special dinners.  
I reckon you’ll be okay but, like you, I just like to get ‘er done! 

Cheers! 

• 2 weeks later...

Before our travel to France this May I have been tracking what is required for travel because of the viruses.  Here's what I've recently found:

According to the CDC before leaving France for the USA, We are...“REQUIRED -  Before boarding a flight to the United States, you are required to show the following: * a negative COVID-19 test result taken no more than 1 day before travel.”

Is anyone up to date on whether Avalon makes arrangements for us to take the test at the end of our cruise?  (Hopefully they have made or will make arrangements!)  If not, I plan on contacting my travel agent and to find out what’s happening.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2022 at 12:19 PM, Playtennis said:

Before our travel to France this May I have been tracking what is required for travel because of the viruses.  Here's what I've recently found:

According to the CDC before leaving France for the USA, We are...“REQUIRED -  Before boarding a flight to the United States, you are required to show the following: * a negative COVID-19 test result taken no more than 1 day before travel.”

Is anyone up to date on whether Avalon makes arrangements for us to take the test at the end of our cruise?  (Hopefully they have made or will make arrangements!)  If not, I plan on contacting my travel agent and to find out what’s happening.

I’m bring some just in case. Ordered the same ones we used through royal Caribbean. 

Does anyone know when we’ll get luggage tags? Or when the app will start to work with your reservation? We got emailed our travel docs but no luggage tags in that package. No tags in myavalon and the app still doesn’t work? We leave in 2 weeks. 1st river cruise, getting excited/and nervous. 

On 4/1/2022 at 1:59 PM, cccult said:

Does anyone know when we’ll get luggage tags? Or when the app will start to work with your reservation? We got emailed our travel docs but no luggage tags in that package. No tags in myavalon and the app still doesn’t work? We leave in 2 weeks. 1st river cruise, getting excited/and nervous. 

The AvalonGo app is working for us but we never got luggage tags either. We embark on April 5th. Yesterday we got email notifying us of our docking location in Basel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, macaroni said:

Basel…

It varies. They may not know until very shortly before boarding. They will e-mail you where to meet the ship.  
If you bought a transfer, the driver will know. 

On 4/3/2022 at 10:34 AM, BAYA said:

The AvalonGo app is working for us but we never got luggage tags either. We embark on April 5th. Yesterday we got email notifying us of our docking location in Basel. 

How exciting! Hope you have a great trip. The app is now working for us, though still no luggage tags. I’m guessing they will just have them when we board.