All Things Avalon

FuelScience

45 minutes ago, Daisi said:

We had our May cruise cancelled (we were supposed to be on the Danube right now actually), but to tell the truth, I'd much rather go once Europe is open and ready to have tourists, than to go to early and have a lot of businesses closed.  

I was starting to feel the same way about things being opened, but next year is so far away!  This was originally booked for Apr-May, then we moved it to July when it got cancelled.  I had to pay for it in full in January for the original date.  I'm considering early Oct move, but I'm not sure about the weather.  I'm not a cold weather person, but otherwise we're looking at another full year and that just seems entirely to far away at the moment.

SCBarker, sorry to read that your cruise has been cancelled. July I consider a "transition month" like June, I think by August the situation will have improved.

35 minutes ago, SCBarker said:

I'm considering early Oct move, but I'm not sure about the weather.

October is a nice time to be in Europe. It is not hot but not really cold yet. Depending on what temperatures you feel comfortable in, I would say do consider October. Early in the month you do not get the Autumn leaves colours just yet, but the days are still mild, anything between 10 and 25 degrees. No real night frosts yet either. You get enough daylight to appreciate scenery as daylight saving time ends last weekend in October.

You can check accuweather.com for weather reports, also the temperatures of last year.

notamermaid

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SCBarker said:

My July cruise is officially cancelled.  I'm a bit relieved almost, other than having that money tied up for another year probably.

From Avalon:

Avalon anticipates that international travel access for guests from the United States will expand in the coming weeks. While access to Avalon’s international destinations are not yet confirmed, we do anticipate our operations will begin soon, starting in France with the July 20, 2021 departure of the “Paris to Normandy” cruise aboard the Tapestry II, including all extensions. This confirmation is pending the official announcement of the France border opening to U.S. travelers, and we will keep all guests scheduled on this cruise informed of that status.

For all other cruises and destinations, Avalon Waterways has continued suspension of operations through July 31, 2021 for guests from the United States.

Sorry your cruise was cancelled.  I wonder what that holds for our September Avalon Rhine/Moselle cruise.  It was selling very well, then the next time I checked there were about 10 previously booked cabins that are now available.

We’ve done Avalon in early April (very cold), July (very hot), late August (warm and low water.) And October.  October was perfect but water was a little low. There were some concerns but we made it through with no problems. 

22 minutes ago, Kenster said:

October was perfect but water was a little low.

That is a drawback in October and something to bear in mind. It is not a problem on the Rhine in October every year, but can happen.

notamermaid

On 5/17/2021 at 9:51 AM, notamermaid said:

October is a nice time to be in Europe. It is not hot but not really cold yet

On 5/17/2021 at 12:17 PM, Loreto said:

On 5/17/2021 at 1:46 PM, ljandgb said:

We did the Rhine in October and the weather was very nice.  A few mornings were chilly, but days and evenings were really pleasant.  

On 5/17/2021 at 2:11 PM, Kenster said:

We’ve done Avalon in early April (very cold), July (very hot), late August (warm and low water.) And October.  October was perfect but water was a little low.

Thank you guys for your feedback. I'm putting my trust in you.  I got everything moved to October 16th for our Rhine trip. It's gone from April to July to October now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, copyace said:

Just posted in main River Cruising thread. We're sailing on August 10!

Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 11.03.56 AM.png

Might also add the third paragraph from this in case it affects anyone:

For other destinations, Avalon Waterways has continued suspension of operations through July 31, 2021 for guests from the U.S.

52 minutes ago, Another Midwesterner said:

Has anyone been on the Cambodia/Vietnam cruise?  If from middle america how did you survive the 27-30 hours travel time to get to the origin?

I have done a Mekong cruise. Not from middle America; I flew Toronto to Taipei and Taipei to Hanoi. I flew business class on points so much more comfortable than economy, and had the use od a lounge in Taipei. I arrived at 11:05 in the morning, and wandered around a bit that day, but nearly fell asleep in the restaurant at dinner. The next day was also tough, I was really tired, but I was fine after that. I went in 3 days early; spent three nights at a hotel in old Hanoi before joining the group in the fancier hotel. 

Thanks for the great information here and in the stickies at the top of the forum. Just finished reading through it. We're potential first time river cruisers, looking at an Avalon Christmas Market cruise for 2022 with time on our own in Budapest beforehand. We've done ocean cruises with our children (mainly Disney) and a lot of land based traveling, so this will be a first for us.

We're looking at two ships- the Passion and the Impression. The ships look pretty much the same, difference in color schemes (like the old Disney ships), but any opinions if one is preferable to the other? We're also considering (I am, husband is sold on Avalon)  an Ama cruise a bit later in December from Budapest to Nuremberg, but he's not feeling that one.

Hopefully things will be back to normal by then, it seems a long time away. 

The two ships are as you say the same except for the decor. The only difference is, the Passion is 2 years newer, but that shouldn't make a difference as they will have both been well maintained.

Can't say much about Ama cruising, as I've only sailed Avalon, and loved the service so much, we were planning our next one on the flight home.  

• Like 1

Sorry about that, I was looking forward to a review on how things were operating.  At least they are posting which ones are or are not sailing, up to mid-Sept, so you know well in advance.  Avalon has ben very good at that, and since the start of Covid, I think it has enabled clients to move their payment date up to 30 days so you can change your booking if needed.  On their side..less refunds!

Hopefully once things settle down in Europe, they can start operating fully.

24 minutes ago, Daisi said:

Hopefully once things settle down in Europe, they can start operating fully.

I really don't think anyone will be fully operating in 2021. There are too many customers who aren't willing to sail. I believe that companies won't be fully operating until spring 2022 at the earliest.

1 hour ago, copyace said:

And now we're NOT sailing. Avalon posted a more complete list today of cruises that are and aren't operating, and it looks like we're toast: 

062102_2021 Avalon OperatingNon-Operating List_060221_b.pdfUnavailable

I cannot see this for whatever reason, but I did go to the website to look.  It appears they did not have enough interest, ships, or personnel ready for the season.  For example, I'm booked on the Romantic Rhine in October and it appears they kept all of the Saturday departures but canceled all the midweek (Tuesday) departures.  It's not like they are pushing back dates, but instead thinning out the cruises.

Hopefully you can just move it a few days.

Edited by SCBarker
  • Like 1

That is the impression I have got - and some confirmation from European lines: they do not start with all ships but a thinned out fleet. Ships will be added later in the year but some fleets may well not be fully operating this year. You will see the ships on the rivers but not with the original company, for example one or two long-term charter ships for Tauck and Riviera River cruises are operating with someone else. The AmaLucia likewise will start her season for a German operator first. I have not heard of any Avalon ships sailing for someone else.

notamermaid

I agree it's not a surprise and for the best.  I am wondering about the requirement of a negative test within 72 hours of beginning "Globus sponsored travel" since we were planning on arriving in Prague 2 days early.  That means any test I get for the flight won't be good by the time we get to the boat.  Maybe if I get Avalon to make our pre-night hotel reservations that would count.  Time to call our TA.

47 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

I am wondering about the requirement of a negative test within 72 hours of beginning "Globus sponsored travel" since we were planning on arriving in Prague 2 days early.  That means any test I get for the flight won't be good by the time we get to the boat.  Maybe if I get Avalon to make our pre-night hotel reservations that would count.

The email makes it sound like they believe a test will not be necessary for vaccinated persons.  That sounds unlikely, at least for the time being.

I think your idea of getting them to provide the hotel would work though.  It should be whenever you trip begins with them, whether it be the flight, the hotel, or the ship.

Good point @ljandgb, I wouldn't have thought of that... mind you, hopefully by next May, we won't have to think of it at all.  Hopefully with the request for full vaccinations the 72 hour negative test will no longer be needed.  

Looking forward to hearing about your tour, we are eagerly looking forward to ours now.