Specialty Restaurants - Prices Going UP

vickie_bernie

Just got off Ruby Princess today.

Crown Grill is now $29 from $25

Crab Shack is now $29 from $20

Info for those planning dinners at either of the restaurants.

Yep,

I guess Princess is just trying to charge the same for all there specialty restaurants. My guess is Princess will keep going up on there prices as long as you are willing to pay more.

Tony

The speciality restaurants don't seem to be all that popular on cruises out of Australia. I've never seen them more than a third full. With the increases prices they'll probably get even less customers.

almost 50% increase on Crab Shack? Not nice.

Why pay at all for specialty restaurants .... or beverages..... or airfare.... or internet..... et al.? Try Oceania.

Because then you pay if you use them or not....

Because then you pay if you use them or not....

Not really. Don't need the air tix, take a credit. Don't want alcohol, take OBC (or excursions instead). Do the bottom line comparison of "net daily rate" between Oceania and lines like Princess or Celebrity or HAL and you may be quite surprised.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Not really. Don't need the air tix, take a credit. Don't want alcohol, take OBC (or excursions instead). Do the bottom line comparison of "net daily rate" between Oceania and lines like Princess or Celebrity or HAL and you may be quite surprised.

If you're a non-drinker, they will give you OBC??

Not a problem for us. Why pay to eat when there is plenty available for frre. All that will happen is that less people will partake in these for fee venues and more will go to the already rowded MDRs.

Out of our only 3 cruises, we only sprung for specialty dining once, on our last cruise at Sabatini's, and only because we had the OBC to use. It was ok. "banquet food", as my husband called it, but the service was impeccable.

The increase in the cost for the Crown grill is 15%, the cost of a basic tip. Might be a corporate thing as Carnival is now adding 15% gratuity to the cost of its steakhouse. At least it's now transparent over there.

NOT my intention to turning this into a tipping thread, just an observation.

Edited by SadieN

The only night the specialty restaurants are busy is the first night when all suites are given that free dinner. I don't think they are worth the price personally. Last month we ate at the Crown Grill on the first night as a comp with a suite and didn't like it for free. Service was slow and disjointed. We mentioned it to the host who changed our server, pleasant surprise.

Sabitini has been better IMHO and we'll go there on future cruises when it's comped, won't pay $29 +. It's a plus because the real cost is $29 plus what we paid for the MDR dinner.

My guess is Princess will keep going up on there prices as long as you are willing to pay more.

The main four specialty restaurants within the Princess brand (prior to SHARE) have been $25pp since 2010. They do one price increase, and you're guessing that they'll keep doing more? Wow. Yes, I'm sure they'll raise the price again, in several years.

Well in my experience ( one princess cruise, one crown grill visit ) I was surprisingly disappointed in the quality of the steak, I for one even said to my DH I would have gladly pay the same price as RCL OR NCL ( both higher priced) But far, far superior in quality.

Unfortunately Im pretty sure Princess raised prices and didn't change quality.

Yes I asked waiter for a different steak , no 2nd one was no better....NOT TO MENTION, WHY the heck is princess SO proud to advertise "corn Fed" beef. Corn Fed is NOTHING to be proud of.

The main four specialty restaurants within the Princess brand (prior to SHARE) have been $25pp since 2010. They do one price increase, and you're guessing that they'll keep doing more? Wow. Yes, I'm sure they'll raise the price again, in several years.

Was it 2010? Wow, time flies. I'm not surprised at the price increases. The $29 looks like a bargain compared to the $39 for SHARE, and now Salty Dog looks like a steal at $19. Of course, those other venues are only on a few ships, so for most people, it doesn't matter. I'm assuming Bayou on Coral also went up?

Not surprising at all. As SHARE was rolled out at a higher price than any of the other specialty restaurants, there was discussion here that this was just the beginning of increased prices and sure enough...it is! Now, what is next in the price increase possibility?

The increase in the cost for the Crown grill is 15%, the cost of a basic tip. Might be a corporate thing as Carnival is now adding 15% gratuity to the cost of its steakhouse. At least it's now transparent over there.

NOT my intention to turning this into a tipping thread, just an observation.

15 %- Sounds like the tip to me.