Higher Benefit Level above Elite

Sitmar Lady

As far as an additional benefit: I'd like to steer the ship, please. Just for a moment.

With regard to the current plan, I'm wondering how age demographics play out across the loyalty levels. Statistically, your highest level is probably populated by a predominantly older set. They've had more time to get to that level. These folks will at some point be no longer able to cruise due to physical condition or death.

Of course that's true of us all, but they're likely to be much closer to that point in time than myself, a healthy 42 year-old. So there's bound to be higher attrition at the higher program levels.

I'm not trying to be rude or flippant at all; I'm just guessing about the facts of the matter. And there are certainly outliers to the statistics (a couple in their 40's or whatever that have Platinum or better status), but I doubt those exceptions to the rule would be enough to upset the economics of the program that much.

Something is holding up dealing with this elephant in the room, and I don't quite understand what it is.

On our last cruise (last voyage of Ocean Princess) I met a staffer from Princess corporate. I didn't know this person was corporate staff until later in our conversation. The conversation turned to Elite privileges and the changing demographic of Princess customers due to "attrition". Yes, there seem to be ongoing discussions at Princess about changes to the benefits as well as at Carnival Corporate about some reciprocal privileges within all the CCL cruise lines to encourage cruisers to stay within CCL as demographics change. I suspect "reciprocity" is the elephant in the room. Can you imagine how difficult that coordination would be?

As far as an additional benefit: I'd like to steer the ship, please. Just for a moment.

With regard to the current plan, I'm wondering how age demographics play out across the loyalty levels. Statistically, your highest level is probably populated by a predominantly older set. They've had more time to get to that level. These folks will at some point be no longer able to cruise due to physical condition or death.

Of course that's true of us all, but they're likely to be much closer to that point in time than myself, a healthy 42 year-old. So there's bound to be higher attrition at the higher program levels.

I'm not trying to be rude or flippant at all; I'm just guessing about the facts of the matter. And there are certainly outliers to the statistics (a couple in their 40's or whatever that have Platinum or better status), but I doubt those exceptions to the rule would be enough to upset the economics of the program that much.

I think that figures into it, but I don't know if the aged number of Elites is greater than than the number of new ones coming in. My grandchildren are working on Elite and all of them will doubtless be there when they turn 18. Then, I don't know if the number of frequent cruising kids is equal to the number of aged Elites going on that last cruise in the sky. :)

With just answering the question asked, here are a couple of my suggestions:

A free embarkation photo

Complimentary bottled water in the room (maybe an extra bottle or two every day)

Don't get me wrong -- I really do truly appreciate the benefits that are already offered and I do tend to be one that actually sticks with just a couple of cruiselines that reward me with cruising a lot with them. I would love to see a discounted beverage package but I think the 2 suggestions above would actually not cost the cruiseline a lot of money or a lot of lost revenue.

I do love the additional OBC that they already offer after 20 cruises ... so guess that covers my water / photo. Slap me if you hear me complaining about a gift horse.

It would seem logical to let everyone keep their benefits as they are today but introduce a new higher level so no one would be upset about getting short changed. The problem would only be what would the highest level be and just what would the new higher perks cost Princess? Maybe a real bar of soap in the cabin & bread and butter on the DR table for dinner. :rolleyes:

Having experienced Seattle embarkation when they've scrapped the priority boarding because half the ship would qualify, I (personally) don't want another explicit tier...it'll just gunk up the works further. Elite/Suite already gets priority tenders, so are you thinking a higher tier above that (i.e. a super-priority line)?

I'm sure Princess knows who their top cruises are for any given cruise. I'd rather they keep any extra perks "secret" and extend them to the most deserving passengers as a true "bonus".

I don't think that Princess needs a new tier for those of us who travel frequently with them. Princess needs to set up policies to regain control of the ones that are already in place.

I have made the suggestion to Princess that they begin to set a limit on the benefits that are already in place, plus a few other changes. For example, we all know that at one time the internet was unlimited. Ahem.... now minutes are based on the length of the cruise no matter how many times/days you have sailed. My recommendation to Princess was to do this with the free laundry as well. Depending on the length of the cruise, set an amount that is free. When that amount is "used up", charge for the laundry. So, if I get $150 worth of free laundry, for example, after I use up my quota - I get charged. (The charge already is posting on the shipboard accounts and then being credited back. So that would not be an issue or problem keeping track.)

Another suggestion that I had was to start issuing tickets for the Princess theater. When you show up for a show, each person PRESENT, gets a ticket, Row K, Seat 14 (for example) same as in a real theater at home. Then there would be none of this saving seats, etc that is going on. On our last cruise a family of three saved 5 seats so that if someone tall sat in front of them that they would have option to "move over" a seat in either direction. Abuse, short and simple, abuse of the production shows. I also suggested that Princess begin charging a nominal fee for the entertainers and production shows.

I also suggested that when something occurs that sets a time restraint, such as clearing customs in a foreign port, that cruise cards be scanned at the point of entry like they are for the safety drill. If it isn't the person's/group's time to be at the event, they would not be allowed to enter because their allotted time would be assigned through their cruise card.

I also suggest that people who purchased and are on Princess organized shore excursions should be in one lounge together for tender tickets. Those who do not have Princess organized shore excursions would be in another area to receive tender tickets.

Too many things on the ships have gotten out of hand. There needs to be a way to control the crowds. Staff can only do so much and be in only one place at a time.

Generally sounds good to me, but I don't see anything that would have any negative impact on us.

I thought there were already separate places for tendering on Princess tours and other. (I am Elite, so I rarely go to either

Generally sounds good to me, but I don't see anything that would have any negative impact on us.

I thought there were already separate places for tendering on Princess tours and other. (I am Elite, so I rarely go to either

It wouldn't negatively impact us either. We were recently on a 17 day cruise. We sent laundry out 3 times. Total charges which were waived amounted to approximately $75.

On this cruise priority tendering was eliminated due to high numbers of elites on the cruise. So, that wouldn't disturb us either.

Let's see...

Princess will set the internet at 20 seconds for every completed cruise day.

Princess will set the free laundry at $ 30.

Princess will always give you the two tickets in the front row all the way to the left and will charge you 50 cents a ticket.

Princess will make anyone walk the plank if they show up at the wrong meeting place.

The good thing is these won't effect me, so Princess go for it!

Edited by neverbeenhere

I suspect "reciprocity" is the elephant in the room. Can you imagine how difficult that coordination would be?

Somehow, the Royal Caribbean brands seem to make it work.

I have long wished for reciprocity between the CCL brands. We would be thrilled to leave the large Princess ships and escape on the smaller HAL ships with their covered pools.

The problem would only be what would the highest level be and just what would the new higher perks cost Princess?

Nothing, because the highest level at best would maintain current perks and all the "regular" Elites, though they may have their loyalty level grandfathered, would lose some or all of the current Elite perks.

Just my feeling, of course, with no basis in fact. But there is nothing that says Princess has to maintain perks for any level in perpetuity. Things will change, and those changes will be motivated by cost savings, not a desire on Princess' part to especially reward MTPs.

I guess the only thing that won't change is that people will come on CC complaining about how unfair the new system is to them.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

I guess the only thing that won't change is that people will come on CC complaining about how unfair the new system is to them.

Oh, please. Stop being so negative. Such a pessimistic. :mad: Just plain rude of you.

Okay, now that I've got that out of my system - WHAT AN UNDERSTATEMENT! ROFLMAO

I'm already at the super-secret Plutonium level. It's great! I get to cruise whenever I have the time and money. I get fed. They even tidy up my room and put chocolate on my bed because I'm sooooooooooooo special!!!

I hope that they give you a special lead (Pb) carrying case for your cruise card.......:D

As a loyal Princess cruiser I watch the cruise critic posts on this subject and I see we always get the "who cares" or the "I am so humble I never wear my black card around my neck" or the jokers who like to say those of us who seek a higher level want "red carpet" status. I get it. You are all very proud of your humility and you voice your opinions loudly. Some of us that have cruised 500 plus days on this fabulous line have seen changes, we have resisted but in the end enduldge in the fact that we still get to cruise. Please try to put yourselves in the place of those of us who have cruised Princes almost 2 years plus. Many of us like myself have been blessed with many beautiful memories on this line, me since 1973 (I was 8 on my first Cruise). I have witnessed the changes first hand and for the most part I didn't care. My last cruise, my elite benefits basically did not exist so I started this post. Everyone is elite these days. The benefits are diminishing. What I am suggesting is NOT to eliminate priviledges Princess has already granted but add a tier to celebrate us 2 year plus crowd. Okay there you have it. I am ready for your punches and insults about my crazy demands. I guess I can take it but I'd prefer kindness. Happy cruising to you all!

As a loyal Princess cruiser I watch the cruise critic posts on this subject and I see we always get the "who cares" or the "I am so humble I never wear my black card around my neck" or the jokers who like to say those of us who seek a higher level want "red carpet" status. I get it. You are all very proud of your humility and you voice your opinions loudly. Some of us that have cruised 500 plus days on this fabulous line have seen changes, we have resisted but in the end enduldge in the fact that we still get to cruise. Please try to put yourselves in the place of those of us who have cruised Princes almost 2 years plus. Many of us like myself have been blessed with many beautiful memories on this line, me since 1973 (I was 8 on my first Cruise). I have witnessed the changes first hand and for the most part I didn't care. My last cruise, my elite benefits basically did not exist so I started this post. Everyone is elite these days. The benefits are diminishing. What I am suggesting is NOT to eliminate priviledges Princess has already granted but add a tier to celebrate us 2 year plus crowd. Okay there you have it. I am ready for your punches and insults about my crazy demands. I guess I can take it but I'd prefer kindness. Happy cruising to you all!

Funny you complain that last cruise your elite benefits basically didn't exist but fail to realise that if another level is added the current levels will be stripped even further.

Funny you complain that last cruise your elite benefits basically didn't exist but fail to realise that if another level is added the current levels will be stripped even further.

I believe the OP realizes exactly that. The time is coming where it will take more than the current 15 cruise credits/150 days to be awarded free laundry and priority tendering (to pick two Elite benefits most often cited as over manageable capacity). With her 500+ days she simply wishes it was now.

So give credit for wearing her intentions on her sleeve. Unfortunately the hecklers have come out associating this thread with the one from a few months ago (conveniently linked to in post #2) which was started by someone not proposing any alternative but just looking for extra doo-dads on their cruise card to hold over the mere "regular" Elites.

I was sitting in the embarkation lounge, and overhead someone comment on how crowded the lounge was. Then I head the comment about them having something like 2000 days and they did not like sitting in the lounge with the "newly" platinum, with only 6 cruises. They wanted their own PRIVATE embarkation lounge area. Now I am ROTFLMAO!!!

I was sitting in the embarkation lounge, and overhead someone comment on how crowded the lounge was. Then I head the comment about them having something like 2000 days and they did not like sitting in the lounge with the "newly" platinum, with only 6 cruises. They wanted their own PRIVATE embarkation lounge area. Now I am ROTFLMAO!!!

OMG - too funny. I'm thinking if they really had 2,000 days (or 5-1/2 years) at sea then someone would be out there greeting them.

OMG - too funny. I'm thinking if they really had 2,000 days (or 5-1/2 years) at sea then someone would be out there greeting them.

2,000 days isn't all that high.

I think the top cruisers are up to about 5,000 and just left on yet another World Cruise (their 8th I think it is).

I would be very, very surprised if Princess could fill a Grand class ship with guests over 1500 nights who have sailed in the last two years. The design of the current program is sensitive to actuarial realities.

I do suspect that platinum access to a departure lounge is likely to be bifurcated. It's incrementally difficult to have a platinum lounge and an elite/suite lounge. I have a particular desire to see the Elite lounge consistently offer sufficient seating and continental breakfast, and be set up on the deck where the disembarkation will actually occur - no stairs or elevators. I ask for the world, I recognize.

Actually, I don't like stereotyping people, but this lady sure fit that description of world traveler. She just looked like the "suite" type and people waiting on her all the time. I would have laughed if I would have found out she was an "insider" LOL