Higher Benefit Level above Elite

Sitmar Lady

Additional levels only happen because a large amount of passengers enjoy the highest echelon already. If HAL didnt have such a long history you can guarantee they would only have 4 levels of recognition. The 5th one was slapped together because such a large number of people reach 4 stars.

So I believe that eventually this will happen but not today and hopefully not before my wife reaches Elite. ;)

Absolutely. As soon as Princess can fill their ships with first time cruisers, the Captains Circle program will cease to exist. Thankfully, I don't believe that's as imminent as Princess might like. But every so often one of the officers will 'get real' and admit that they don't make money on Elite cruisers, and one openly said "especially Elite cruisers from Florida". :eek:

I find it interesting how often this subject comes up. My opinion is that if one is looking for a higher level or service, amenities, product quality etc. sometimes you have to switch to a brand that offers what you now want, not what you used to want.

For example, if I am a long term Chevrolet car buyer, and over time as my taste has evolved and income level has gone up I have purchased their higher priced products with more options that I want, but currently am looking for something that has even more (luxury, performance, etc.) than their product line offers, I don't think writing to GM/Chevy to ask them to build a more expensive or more feature laden car than they currently have is going to work. So, I have to make a decision about what I really now want and see what is available in the market. If I now want Mercedes or Bentley quality products, I am unlikely to get that from Chevy, so I will likely need to shift brands to get what I want.

So, same with the cruise experience, maybe those that want more need to look at what best matches their needs. Maybe Seabourn or Regent or Crystal is what you need.

Just my opinion.

I am elite and personality enjoy the perks Princess gives for our loyalty.:)

Just what is it that those who wish better perks expect from Princess?:confused:

I personally would be most interested it what you would like.

Interesting idea but I don't think it'll work with so many repeat passengers onboard. The cut off for the Most Traveled Lunch is often close to or over 500. That's the equivalent of eighty people in addition to those looking to book a specialty restaurant.

I'm happy with my additional $100 loyalty OBC which can pay for several specialty dinners so in essence, Princess is already giving me a specialty dinner or anything else I want to use the OBC on.

Pam, as usual, you made some great points. we too are very happy with current set up.

There are way too many at the Elite level. My recommendation would be to raise the number of sea days required for Platinum and Elite. I would also eliminate the cruise credits, should be based solely on sea days.

There are way too many at the Elite level. My recommendation would be to raise the number of sea days required for Platinum and Elite. I would also eliminate the cruise credits, should be based solely on sea days.

Have always thought the fairest way would be number of days.For some reason Princess must like the cruise credits as well:confused::confused::confused:

They could change the rules, but that won't do much to solve the problem you say is "way too many at the Elite level." I don't think they would change the rules and then make them retroactive, taking the perks away from people who already have them. That would certainly make their marketing tool ineffective. "Sail Princess and get great perks unless we change our minds and take them all away." I repeat: the loyalty program is a MARKETING TOOL and not some big favor Princess is doing for the worthy.

Have always thought the fairest way would be number of days.For some reason Princess must like the cruise credits as well:confused::confused::confused:

Wasn't the Captain's Circle originally based only on cruise credits. Days was added later.

Or pull a Delta/American/United/Virgin America/Starbucks and make it based on spend. That's really a more equitable measure of value to the line than the mere proxies of days or sailings. The program is effectively a rebate for past purchases redeemable onboard.

The other ways to thin the ranks of the elite are to make credits expire after N years, require activity of at least a certain frequency, require annual tier qualification or require redemption of points to receive rewards. There are any number of ways to make loyalty programs less rewarding for participants and every consultant who works in this area has probably looked at Carnivore Corporation and the individual lines and absolutely salivated at the cost savings they could offer with only minor annoyance to the perhaps 1-5% of passengers who are into the OBC rewards portion of the program

Be careful what you wish for.

I'm already at the super-secret Plutonium level. It's great! I get to cruise whenever I have the time and money. I get fed. They even tidy up my room and put chocolate on my bed because I'm sooooooooooooo special!!!

10828987125_c9d28e5512.jpg

Probably the funniest post I've seen in quite a long time.....:):):)

Bob

Wasn't the Captain's Circle originally based only on cruise credits. Days was added later.

Yes and it was a bit annoying since we started out taking longer cruises. We were very happy when it changed over to days/or cruise credits. It happened sometime after 2004 if I recall correctly.

Cheers, Denise

Yes and it was a bit annoying since we started out taking longer cruises. We were very happy when it changed over to days/or cruise credits. It happened sometime after 2004 if I recall correctly.

Cheers, Denise

It was before 2008. We made Elite that year based on days. We had 11 cruise credits and 150 days.

Edited by paul929207

It will get to a point where Princess will have to address the whole program. As for now, I too am OK with the OBC for the level of days over the Elite plateau and feel that the program should have been based upon the number of days to achieve each level. Seems like it would make more sense for Princess to have days as the criteria as it means more opportunity for revenue than just number of voyages booked.

It will get to a point where Princess will have to address the whole program. As for now, I too am OK with the OBC for the level of days over the Elite plateau and feel that the program should have been based upon the number of days to achieve each level. Seems like it would make more sense for Princess to have days as the criteria as it means more opportunity for revenue than just number of voyages booked.

Except it provides incentive for people to book shorties based on their loyalty to Princess. Their market differntiation is a lure. My wife and I would be more likely to take two 4 day cruises at less than 400 per person than a 7 day at 800 based on our PNW and the attendant flight costs and logistics. Seattle and Vancouver one ways are great for us and the pursuit of Elite.

We made Elite sooner than I thought we would due to b2b short cruises (4 days each). It was cheaper than taking a 7-day cruise. Overall, our cruise length averaged a little more than 7 days per cruise when we reached Elite.

I don't begrudge the folks who can take advantage of the 1-day cruises. To me, the hassle wouldn't be worth it. I looked into them when my brother and his wife lived in Seattle, so I could have tied the cruise in with a visit. Even then, the trouble to arrange transportation from Seattle to Vancouver (or vice versa), the check-in process, muster drill, etc. don't seem to be worth getting another cruise credit--even at a last-minute bargain rate. The only way it would be to me would have been if it would have gotten us to Elite right before a big cruise.

Edited by geoherb

Unfortunately I remember when some things now limited to Elite or Platinum were standard for everyone.

One that springs to mind is the shoe shine.

If they introduce another level that's what I predict will happen, more things will be taken away (or restricted to those on a higher level) rather than new benefits added.

It will get to a point where Princess will have to address the whole program.

We heard a very senior officer tell us as a CC meet and greet that the program "is not sustainable in its current form". Obviously, changes are afoot but, hearing that, I wondered why Princess had let it go this long (with the qualification based on cruise credits coupled with the proliferation of short cruises) and if the current program would be grandfathered or not. Something is holding up dealing with this elephant in the room, and I don't quite understand what it is.

It was before 2008. We made Elite that year based on days. We had 11 cruise credits and 150 days.
Same here. It would have taken me several more years based on the future cruises I had booked and I would have had over 200 days.