Alternative to heat pads

leehal

I use an electric heat pad (like a mini electric blanket) for my lower back pain. I don't think I am allowed to bring this on board, does anyone know of any alternatives that are cruise ship friendly?

I use an electric heat pad (like a mini electric blanket) for my lower back pain. I don't think I am allowed to bring this on board, does anyone know of any alternatives that are cruise ship friendly?

Speak to special needs at Celebrity and see what they say...

Get a Tens machine - NHS will provide you with one - speak to your doc.

If its that bad consider surgery - I had it done very young (30s)and never looked back - best week of my life -

Tens machine by far better though than applying heat - heat is not always good - has your doc recommended this?

Second the recommendation for ThermaCare. Check Amazon, sometimes you can get bulk packaging for cheaper. Bonus of the Thermacare ones is you can wear them under your clothes, on the plane, etc. They get QUITE hot.

Get a Tens machine - NHS will provide you with one - speak to your doc.

If its that bad consider surgery - I had it done very young (30s)and never looked back - best week of my life -

Tens machine by far better though than applying heat - heat is not always good - has your doc recommended this?

I had a spinal fusion 7 years ago, loads better than I was (was struggling to walk/stand), I find the heat soothing. My physio doesn't have any issues with me doing this.

I have tried Tens, I guess it works for some and not others. Maybe the warmer weather on the cruise will help, its still generally cold at home at the moment.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

In Aus you can get some great heat sprays.

I also have some fantastic little warmer packs where you snap a disk and a chemical reaction heats them wonderfully, will try and find the name, the problem is they need boiling before re use.

Contact special needs, they may be able to supply a heat pad.

I use a heating pad too and when I called special needs they said I could bring one as long as it has an automatic shutoff. Since plugs are lacking and my tens works I didn't bring the heating pad. Special needs said they cannot supply one.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

I use a heating pad too and when I called special needs they said I could bring one as long as it has an automatic shutoff. Since plugs are lacking and my tens works I didn't bring the heating pad. Special needs said they cannot supply one.

That sounds good, my heat pad cuts off after a certain time. I have emailed Special Needs to check.

I had a spinal fusion 7 years ago, loads better than I was (was struggling to walk/stand), I find the heat soothing. My physio doesn't have any issues with me doing this.

I have tried Tens, I guess it works for some and not others. Maybe the warmer weather on the cruise will help, its still generally cold at home at the moment.

I sustained a fracture of my spine in 1979.

Arnica Gel is my goto. Absorbs very quickly and for me pain is alleviated within 1 minute.

Would not travel without it.

Annie

I've been thinking about the heat pad I already own and its 240v so it won't work properly, might look at importing a one from the USA thats 110v and already has a suitable plug on it too if I get the go ahead from Special Needs.

Just off a ten day Hawaii cruise and I brought my heating pad with me ... I did not know if it would be allowed so I brought some heat wraps as well .... my lower back aches so much some nights if I do too much ( and I usually do ) and it is the only thing that gives me enough relief to sleep ....the only problem was the outlet was way over on the desk area and it just made it to the bed. It also has an automatic shut off.

It wouldn't work so well for the back, but for any other body part that needs heat or ice, an old-fashioned hot water bottle (look on Amazon) works well for a cruise. Light weight, easy to pack, no plug required. Order hot water from room service or ice from your room steward and it's ready to go. I used it on our last cruise for my knee and hip.

Ouch - I would take then what you need but also take one of these - ideal for travelling - dh used one for a while when his back was bad.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MAGNETIC-RELIEF-THERAPY-SUPPORT-MEDIUM/dp/B00AJR4TV0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1463984232&sr=8-4&keywords=heat+belt+for+back+pain

A follow up on this, email from Special Needs:-

Thank you for contacting us with this request. Kindly be advised you can bring your heating pad onboard with you as long as it is automatic shut off, and it states it on the packaging as well.

I have now ordered a 110v one from America. Thanks for the help people.

OP, I know you've already gotten an answer, but just in case you're looking for an alternate during air travel (or someone else doesn't want to carry around a heating pad) I highly recommend Therma Care Heat Wraps: http://www.amazon.com/ThermaCare-Lower-Wraps-Large-XL-2-Count/dp/B001G7QUXW?ie=UTF8&keywords=thermacare%20heat%20wraps&qid=1464313149&ref_=sr_1_2_a_it&sr=8-2

I use their menstrual cramp variety when I'm sitting at my desk at work and can't use a traditional heating pad (or more accurately don't want to draw attention to using one.) They work really well and allow you to stay on the move