Low waisted pants

Blondilu

I'm not sure if this is off topic on a cruise forum, but I have a cruise coming up in August and just starting to think about what I'm going to wear.

Anyway, I would like to get a little feedback from women who are perhaps trendier and more fashionable than me. Which is likely to be just about everyone. This is regards to pants that don't come up to your natural waist.

Apparently I was asleep when pants that fit anywhere from a couple of inches below your navel to waaaaay too low became the standard as opposed to an option. I find such pants to be unattractive, and uncomfortable.

I am in my early 60s and a little overweight. I have a high waist, but I do have a waist and find pants that come up as close as possible to the indentation of my waistline to be the most comfortable and attractive (on me).

Fit and comfort aside I'm not sure I understand the point. I guess the trend started so women could feel young and thin. But, a lot of us are not young or thin and we buy clothes, too. Furthermore, a huge portion of the women I know wear their shirts or tops outside of their pants, making where the waist sits sort of beside the point. At least to me.

Anyway, I get very frustrated by the lack of options. Low-rise, mid-rise or "sits below the natural waist". Why not "sits AT the natural waist”? So hard to find. I got the jeans I currently wear from a catalog for heavier women. Why? They come up to my waist. They also come in Talls which is a complaint for another day. I have to get the smallest size they offer, but I have bought several pairs because I am convinced this option will go away as well. And I do have a couple of other options, but certainly not in the cute trendy new styles. Ha, maybe I should just forget it and dress like my mother. OK, maybe not.

Basically, I am fed-up enough that I want to write to each of my favorite companies and let them know how disgusted I am that they don't offer pants with a fully natural waistline as an option. Not jeans, not cute little capris, not activewear. Heck, even pajamas are now offered more often than not with a lower waist.

Before I write (and make an idiot of myself) I want to know if I am in the minority. After all, retailers will offer what is most sought after by a majority of their customers.

So, the question: which do you prefer? And why? Thank you.

You have my vote. I am 49 years old and the heaviest part of me is my rear and thighs. I do not like low rise pants because I feel like they are falling off. All types, all sizes. I wear a size 10 so a little overweight for my height but not much.

Like you, I want my pants to come to my waist. I remember wearing "hip-huggers" as a teenager and I did not find them all that comfortable then (needed to be belted to be sure they would stay where they were supposed to be:eek:).

My main concern now is to be comfortable so I will never be the trendiest, most fashionable cruiser.

Look at LLBean - many of their options are natural waist.

High waisted is also fashionable among the young things these days - wore it in the 80s, not gonna do it now, thanks.

On me, below the waist looks better. But I don't wear jeans often, so....

I agree I HATE!!!! low waisted trousers (pants) Lucky M&S in the UK do offer ones that sit on the natural waist.

Can't understand the point of low waisted ones you are always having to hoick them up. And the don't look flattering.Ok so I am overweight (US size 12 ) but I don't think they look good on anyone.

Unless you have NO FAT at all on your hips, a "low-waisted" pant will give you a "muffin top"...that bulge above your pant line...very unattractive.

Go with something at fits at your "natural" waist, which is usually just below your navel. It will look better and feel better.

I am 58 and have never liked pants that are "low risers".......:eek:

Actually, I just ordered 2 pair of slacks from QVC and they both fit

beautifully:)....at my waist........one pair is from Halston and the other

is from Dennis Basso.

As for jeans, at my waist or maybe "just below"...but I mean just....

I am heavy in the mid section and have never found low rise jeans

that ever fit...I mean ever:rolleyes:....they always feel like they are

cut for a size 2 or something.

I agree with the Chico's recommendation. I have several pair of

pants from them......some slacks and and some jeans....they fit me

really well:)....and I am between a 16 and 18 sizewise.

Edited by Lois R

Back when way lots younger ... I loved wearing "hip huggers" that were so low I'd buy tops with snaps on the crotch to keep the tops tucked in. Anyone remember those?

Now, I only want the pants that go to my natural waist.

LuLu

I am 62 and have had my "measurements" adjusted up the past few years. I was having so much trouble in the major retailers finding pants that fit. I would have to try on this absurd size only have them too big in the seat, but good at the waist, but I would have to be 9 feet tall for them to fit in length. So one day my daughter "dragged" me into kmart....So for the fun of it I hit the Womans dept. I was so surprised to find sizes that FIT. All bottoms. And for great prices. So now I am going through my closet for summer and get rid of all those "doesn't fit here or there" bottoms and get new ones that actually fit me.

For what it's worth, I watch a lot of television and there, at least, waistlines are on the rise. I don't do fashion magazines, though, but it still seemed promising.

(I have a decent shape, but a long torso and a high waist. The low rise cut, even the non-crazy ones, find the most unattractive place to fall on me and then slide down and lodge there. And there isn't a way to look ladylike while hitching up your jeans.)

Back when way lots younger ... I loved wearing "hip huggers" that were so low I'd buy tops with snaps on the crotch to keep the tops tucked in. Anyone remember those?

Now, I only want the pants that go to my natural waist.

LuLu

Hi LuLu:).......I remember them:eek:...you are aging us;)

I agree I HATE!!!! low waisted trousers (pants) Lucky M&S in the UK do offer ones that sit on the natural waist.

Can't understand the point of low waisted ones you are always having to hoick them up. And the don't look flattering.Ok so I am overweight (US size 12 ) but I don't think they look good on anyone.

I agree. Thank goodness M&S ship to Australia! I wish they'd open up a store here - there have been rumours but no sign of one so far.

I love their linen beach pants for cruising. So comfortable and cool, even in the tropics.

My natural waistline is higher than average so I've had problems finding pants to fit all my life, then when that ridiculous low waisted fashion came out it was almost impossible to find anything.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I'm in the older age bracket & like the OP hate the low waist slacks too.. Also since my hip operation I find it difficult to go clothes shopping..

I'm only 5' & 1/2", on the heavier side in the waist & hips & also short-waisted .. Pants that go to the waist look better on me..I wear my tops outside my pants & wear lots of tops with light weight jackets..

I do a lot of catalog shopping & have many Jeans, Capri's & slacks from Drapers & Damon, as well as Appleseeds.. They have Misses, Petites, Petite short & Women's sizes.. They have many nice slacks with matching tops & jackets too.. I usually have to take the slacks or Jeans to be shortened as they fit 4'8 to 5'3'.. They list inseam lengths in their order forms for their sizes..

Drapers has a new line called slimtacular which I might try when I order my next pair of jeans..They come in Petite short size too...

Edited by serendipity1499

Good to know I am not alone. I will definitely start speaking up to any retailer who offers only lower waisted pants.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll give Chicos and LLbeans a try.

Myfuzzy: I've gotten some things from Walmart that I've loved. You never know until you try!

As far as jeans are concerned I wear Gloria Vanderbilt "Amanda" brand. They fit at the waist and are very comfortable. I have them in many colors. You can buy them at most department stores and Kohl's. Cost around $20 - $25 depending on whatever sale they have going.

Lands End has what they call "high rise" pants. Probably what you are looking for in rise. Pretty boring selection, though (IMHO). Also, as others have said, LLBean, maybe EddieBauer.

I'm one that the medium rise works better. I can't do "sits at waist" - it does nothing more than accentuate any "pooch" I have. The medium rise doesn't do that.

And, I want to know when a US size 12 became for someone "overweight"????:eek:

Vanity sizing for sure. I have been much heavier than now and thinner, too. I remember back in the 70s having someone tell me "anyone can be a perfect size 10". It hurt my feelings because I was trying so hard to lose weight. The smallest I got was to a 12. And I was hungry and miserable trying to maintain that weight.

I am 5'10" and sort of big framed so that weight was not even realistic though, admittedly I could stand to lose 10 pounds. Anyway, here I am 25-30 pounds heavier than when I wore that 12 and guess what? I wear a 12. And that "perfect size 10" is considered big. All so some young lady can say she wears a 0 or a 2.

Looks like I might be in the minority....I find jeans/pants that sit at my natural waist to be slightly uncomfortable and restrictive when I'm sitting down. Like I might need to unbuttoned them after a large meal lol. I do tend to slouch when I'm sitting, which might be why I have this issue. When pants are below my waist enough to allow a bit of belly overflow is my sweet spot. When I try to go up a size, the waist is way too big when I'm standing up.....

And it's crazy how fast vanity sizing is changing. I've been a size 6 my whole life...I'm a bit puffier around the middle in the last few years than I ever have been, but still buying size 6 pants. I tried on an older pair of size 6s this am....ouch. Felt like the button was gonna pop! lol I've heard it said that modern size 4 is a size 8 from the 70s.

I too hate the pants that are low-rise, or below-natural-waist. Even AT natural waist for most people is low-ish for me. I have some NYDJ/Not Your Daughter's Jeans that fit pretty well, maybe have a look at those. Buying pants is some circle of hell, I'm pretty sure ;)