Missed Call From Crown and Anchor Society

A cruise canceled over a year out is a lot different then a cruise canceled two days before sailing. I wouldn't expect anything canceled that far in advance where this canceling is much more impactful thus should receive decent compensation.

Obviously, there is a huge difference to have your trip cancelled when you are in the process of packing your bags. However, I booked our cabins three months ago and purchased third party travel insurance for elderly travelers which is not refundable. (Had to be purchased within 2 weeks of booking to cover pre-existing conditions, important for 85 year olds.) They are not going to cover that out of pocket loss. They offered to let us switch to another itinerary with "price protection", but that other itinerary is several days shorter and visits only 2 ports, plus the fare is about half of what we paid. An offer of "price protection" in this case is not really offering us anything. RC has another identical itinerary on another ship several weeks earlier but they won't offer price protection for that itinerary and the new fare would be significantly higher than what we booked.

I am an agent and I cannot continue to recommend a cruise line to my clients if I feel the cruise line will not take care of them in situations like this. Right now there are lots of unhappy people out there and you can count me among them.

Good luck to those affected by these cancellations. I hope RC takes good care of you.

k.

You must be so disappointed. As it is a special birthday I don't suppose any of the other people going would let you buy their cabin from them would they? It's a big ask but you could make it worth their while as you have a 'free' cruise credit? That way while there is still disappointment you get to have your birthday with some of your friends?

You must be so disappointed. As it is a special birthday I don't suppose any of the other people going would let you buy their cabin from them would they? It's a big ask but you could make it worth their while as you have a 'free' cruise credit? That way while there is still disappointment you get to have your birthday with some of your friends?

They all have offered but with full refund and free cruise they arent getting much value since they lost airfare. We didnt since we live in Fort Lauderdale...

Resolutions called me again, supervisor said they will let us cancel all the cabins and give us full refunds + credit. We are exploring that option now. No refund for airfare for friends though, so that puts a wrinkle in it.

Keep everyone posted if you guys/gals want.

Surely RCCI could ring a few other customers who have JS booked and explain the problem and offer them the same deal as they offered you? They only need 1 customer to accept. That way they don't loose all your friends bookings and everyone's happy?

Other than that maybe you all cancel and let your friends fly in to see you and all go on an alternative holiday from there? Surely a local Travel Agent could suggest a few ideas?

Edited by ched999uk

Obviously, there is a huge difference to have your trip cancelled when you are in the process of packing your bags. However, I booked our cabins three months ago and purchased third party travel insurance for elderly travelers which is not refundable. (Had to be purchased within 2 weeks of booking to cover pre-existing conditions, important for 85 year olds.) They are not going to cover that out of pocket loss. They offered to let us switch to another itinerary with "price protection", but that other itinerary is several days shorter and visits only 2 ports, plus the fare is about half of what we paid. An offer of "price protection" in this case is not really offering us anything. RC has another identical itinerary on another ship several weeks earlier but they won't offer price protection for that itinerary and the new fare would be significantly higher than what we booked.

I am an agent and I cannot continue to recommend a cruise line to my clients if I feel the cruise line will not take care of them in situations like this. Right now there are lots of unhappy people out there and you can count me among them.

Good luck to those affected by these cancellations. I hope RC takes good care of you.

k.

If you are saying you are a travel agent, you might want to read the community guidelines.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/faq.php?faq=guidelines

Surely RCCI could ring a few other customers who have JS booked and explain the problem and offer them the same deal as they offered you? They only need 1 customer to accept. That way they don't loose all your friends bookings and everyone's happy?

I forgot to mention they were doing that as well. But told me not to hold my breath because they had already spoken to people and no dice. They said they only had 3 people left to speak with who they didnt get a hold of yet.

Other than that maybe you all cancel and let your friends fly in to see you and all go on an alternative holiday from there? Surely a local Travel Agent could suggest a few ideas?

Thats what we are looking at doing, maybe Bimini or something. Everything is up in the air right now.

I forgot to mention they were doing that as well. But told me not to hold my breath because they had already spoken to people and no dice. They said they only had 3 people left to speak with who they didnt get a hold of yet.

Thats what we are looking at doing, maybe Bimini or something. Everything is up in the air right now.

So disappointing but does sound like RCCI are trying. Must be so frustrating running round trying to find an alternative solution. Hope it all works out and you all have a great time what ever the solution.

Have a great birthday.

Garavar, so sorry this happened to you. :(

Just wanted to make sure you are keeping an eye on tne tropics right now - too early to say if the possible bad weather (possible "Colin") will head anywhere close to Bimini after it goes through the Gulf and exits Florida, but would hate for you to make arrangements and then be stuck in a storm there ;)

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/tropical-disturbance-florida-heavy-rain-jun2016

Edited by SeaHunt

If you are saying you are a travel agent, you might want to read the community guidelines.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/faq.php?faq=guidelines

I am familiar with the guidelines, thanks. Nowhere does it say that I am not allowed to mention what I do for a living. Review my previous posts if you are concerned that I might be trolling CC looking for clients.

k.

Oh dear, I feel for you and all the other guests receiving the phone calls.

Can you imagine those who are travelling now and have no idea :eek:

The OP is from Florida. I hope RCL looked at the online check in information and selected people to cancel that had not already left home. [this would cost them less in airline change fees, too]

Final Update:

I got a call from a lady from the "Re-Accomdation Desk" she said that RC a few weeks back sold out the ship even though it wasnt actually sold. It included 5 unsold JSs.

She said that she has assigned me one and I will get booking confirmation soon.

Figures crossed. Good luck to anyone else effected

final update:

I got a call from a lady from the "re-accomdation desk" she said that rc a few weeks back sold out the ship even though it wasnt actually sold. It included 5 unsold jss.

She said that she has assigned me one and i will get booking confirmation soon.

great news!!!!:)

Final Update:

I got a call from a lady from the "Re-Accomdation Desk" she said that RC a few weeks back sold out the ship even though it wasnt actually sold. It included 5 unsold JSs.

Excellent news! Now, if they just through in a birthday dinner as an apology for this mess, life would be perfect!

So glad they resolved the situation! Please come back and report when you actually get a booking confirmation! Fingers crossed here for you! PS happy birthday to your lady ;-)

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Final Update:

I hope you receive good news.