Ta keeps pushing me away from viking !

rentlady

I am trying to figure out why he keeps trying to divert my business to avalon/uniworld? Am I missing something? Will the t/a make a bigger commission from them or is Viking difficult to work with?

If you've done your research and that's the company you want, then I would tell him that you are the customer and that he can book it or you will find a TA that will.

With that said, why do you prefer Viking over the other's that he's recommending?

I am trying to figure out why he keeps trying to divert my business to avalon/uniworld? Am I missing something? Will the t/a make a bigger commission from them or is Viking difficult to work with?

Ask your TA.

Be very direct and expect a direct answer.

If they have valid reasons they should be able to articulate them to your satisfaction.

Let them quote alternatives and compare the costs, that may help you decide as well.

IMO, a TA that truly knows and understands river cruising is worth their weight in gold. They are not order takers and will indeed educate a client on the differences between companies. A good agent can draw not only on their personal experience, but the wealth of knowledge or experience and information available to them through their network of colleagues. Not all river cruise lines are created equal, nor are all TA's (and I can say the same about any profession).

If you trust your TA, I suggest you pay attention to his/her recommendations. Despite many posts I read on this forum, there are many professional agents out there who do not make recommendations based on a percentage point more of commission, which means nothing in the long run when things go wrong.

If you do not believe in what your agent is telling you, or they are not supporting their recommendation with information, then move on. A TA that cares about their client will recommend what is best for them and that does not mean just "taking an order" when the client walks through the door and asks for a Viking cruise.

Edited by caviargal

I like doing my own research that includes checking the details and prices of each cruise and cruise line. Also, read reviews on cc.

I also, like having control of own reservation and booking directly with the cruise line.

One reason that I like Vantage, other than a quality product for great prices is that they don't accept TAs. Vantage has lots of ways for you to save and get additional discounts.

My first river cruise was on AMA. It was nice. The price was good. However, after sailing, it became obvious that there were things on the AMA cruise that weren't for me. Also, on that AMA cruise I kept meeting people who kept saying that Viking does it better. Also, Viking seemed to own the best docking locations. AMA docked in some places that were not close to where you wanted to be. I later found out that that TA got big commissions from AMA. I changed to another TA. Next cruise was on Viking. It was a good fit for me. I liked the ships, food, tours, etc. I did not need the AMA bikes, hot tub, etc. Viking does a good job. I will be on a Viking trip soon.

IMO, a TA that truly knows and understands river cruising is worth their weight in gold. They are not order takers and will indeed educate a client on the differences between companies. A good agent can draw not only on their personal experience, but the wealth of knowledge or experience and information available to them through their network of colleagues. Not all river cruise lines are created equal, nor are all TA's (and I can say the same about any profession).

If you trust your TA, I suggest you pay attention to his/her recommendations. Despite many posts I read on this forum, there are many professional agents out there who do not make recommendations based on a percentage point more of commission, which means nothing in the long run when things go wrong.

If you do not believe in what your agent is telling you, or they are not supporting their recommendation with information, then move on. A TA that cares about their client will recommend what is best for them and that does not mean just "taking an order" when the client walks through the door and asks for a Viking cruise.

I would agree about a good TA being worth their weight in gold - especially since the pool is being diluted by all the ones who care only about volume to compete with the online giants. The competition is fierce!

That said, it doesn't sound like the OP's TA is attempting to educate him, if he has to come on this board and ask why ;)

Maybe it's something else. Maybe it's the way Viking handles the high/low water issues compared to the others. Maybe it's matching you to the ship that is best for your lifestyle. Why use a TA if you are not going to question her reasons to suggest the others.

I like doing my own research that includes checking the details and prices of each cruise and cruise line. Also, read reviews on cc.

I also, like having control of own reservation and booking directly with the cruise line.

One reason that I like Vantage, other than a quality product for great prices is that they don't accept TAs. Vantage has lots of ways for you to save and get additional discounts.

I too like doing my own research - and I did a lot before I chose Viking - and I chose them for reasons that have nothing to do with their TV commercials or the many brochures. :D I really do like their ships - and I looked at a lot of ships :) - something that's very subjective, I know. I also chose them for the stop in Kinderdijk - at the time I was looking there was only one other line that made this stop. I don't remember which one - but I think it was one with a higher price than Viking.

We booked direct and I've been happy so far. We still haven't done the cruise - it's in August, so the rest remains to be seen. I know people complain about them, but they are one of the biggest, if not the biggest so they have a greater chance of ticking people off. :) I also know from working in customer service that unhappy people make the most noise. The happy ones, just become repeat customers :D

My first river cruise was on AMA. It was nice. The price was good. However, after sailing, it became obvious that there were things on the AMA cruise that weren't for me. Also, on that AMA cruise I kept meeting people who kept saying that Viking does it better. Also, Viking seemed to own the best docking locations. AMA docked in some places that were not close to where you wanted to be. I later found out that that TA got big commissions from AMA. I changed to another TA. Next cruise was on Viking. It was a good fit for me. I liked the ships, food, tours, etc. I did not need the AMA bikes, hot tub, etc. Viking does a good job. I will be on a Viking trip soon.

Interesting - thanks, I'm glad to hear it. I rejected some other lines for similar reasons - they included things that weren't of value to me. Everyone has different needs, and I'm just glad to have a lot to chose from!

I went with Avalon because I liked what I read about how they handled difficult situations with water levels and locks. Most of all I loved the staterooms and how the beds face the huge wall of windows and the room turns into a balcony when you open up the floor to ceiling window/door and you don't loose room space to have a balcony. The bathrooms are laid out nice and there's plenty of room for both of us in there.

When I went to my TA, I had narrowed my choices down to 2 lines....and fortunately for me, she had been on both! I had one preference over the other, but when we discussed the two lines I figured I did have the right choice.

When I went to my TA, I had narrowed my choices down to 2 lines....and fortunately for me, she had been on both! I had one preference over the other, but when we discussed the two lines I figured I did have the right choice.

Now that's when it's worthwhile using a TA. I'm sure there are many TAs out there who never been on a RC. I use the TA for the cash give back. If a TA gives no good advice or any gifts I wouldn't bother. Jmo

My TA is fantastic! She has been helping several of my friends, too. Late last year she did the Cambodia/Vietnam cruise and loved it. She has been on several river cruises. She gives me great advice!

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually, Viking pays commission on air, transfers, pre- and post-cruise hotels, as well as the cruise (as many other lines do not). I find Viking agents very knowledgeable and helpful and their Air department agents are brilliant as well.

Perhaps shopping for a new T.A. is in order. ;)

There is a good reason for this! I'd listen to your TA. You are getting good advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with JVille Gal. You are getting good advice. You should be having a long a conversation with your TA.

Having sailed both Viking and Uniworld, imo, the level of service and quality of food and drink (especially wine) on Uniworld is far better. That's not saying Viking's is bad (except the phlonk wines) they are just "Ok, not great". Uniworld does far better.

Note: I am not a fan of the Long Ships. I believe they push the capacity of their staff to far, especially when trying to serve dinner to 190+ people the same course at the same time.

If you want to see a differential in service, read the Viking China thread about baggage handling and the people lugging their suitcases through airports and up and down to the ships. On Uniworld, the bags were picked up outside our hotel door and delivered to our hotel room in the next city or aboard the boat. We only had our carry ons to deal with. Only in Lhasa did we have to actually check our own bag, which they delivered to the check-in counter for us.

A good Travel Agent earns their commissions, and have helped us out with issues one probably couldn't deal successfully with themselves. Things normally go smoothly, but when they don't that TA can often take care of the issues.

I understand from talking to my TA that Viking is very difficult to work with and I know of one instance where a man's wife died (and thus could not go on the cruise) and Viking would not accept that explanation as a reason to cancel the booking. Viking has good itineraries and the boats themselves are reported to have good service and food. Also I agree that the Viking boats on our itinerary often had a better docking position - sometimes we were rafted on a Viking ship and had to cross their ship to get to shore.

My first and only river cruise was with AMA. There were a lot of nice things that I appreciated, but there were quite a number of things that were free that I just did not need. I would have used the pool if the weather was better but I am not a hot tub person. I don't know if I could have used the bikes. There was a LOT of walking - more than we could easily do. My husband was sore for a week afterward (I use a mobility scooter). And we don't drink, so free wine wasn't such a good perk for us. I also did not need the ship computer for the internet as I always bring my own laptop.

Edited by grandmaR

Coming from an independent TA here..it's true that Viking is not the easiest to deal with if things go bad. However, it does also sound like he's digging for a commission bump. Don't let him talk you out of it! Those are some of the most BEAUTIFUL trips I've been on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Actually, Viking pays commission on air, transfers, pre- and post-cruise hotels, as well as the cruise (as many other lines do not). I find Viking agents very knowledgeable and helpful and their Air department agents are brilliant as well.

Perhaps shopping for a new T.A. is in order. ;)

I have found the same. We haven't cruised yet, but so far I'm quite pleased with their service.

I think you need to be very specific with your TA and find out why they are steering you away from Viking. They work FOR you and need to be your advocate. If they have a specific negative experience with Viking, they should tell you. If their personal preference is with another line, they need to tell you why. What floats their boat may not float yours.

We've recently booked our 7th (yes, we've lost our damn minds...) Viking cruise. We've always booked directly with Viking and use Viking air. At this point, we pay the additional $50 to get the flights we want. (We always fly Delta out of MSP and we a ton of miles) We have found them to be very easy to work with and accommodating.

At this point with the internet and direct customer service, I find it easier and more timely to book directly. If we were planning a complicated-multi-stop trip with a complicated itinerary, I might be inclined to use a TA but for the most part, it's easy to go directly through the airlines or the cruise company.

We like Viking. We don't need on-board fitness, a pool, a hot tub or nightly entertainment. We use the ship as our floating hotel and come and go as we please. Bikes would be nice but not necessary. We are fans of their sleek, modern Nordic décor (I hate curtains and ruffles and frou-frou) and their crew have been without fail, accommodating, friendly and fun to be around. I've seen them smile and be incredibly gracious to rude, unfriendly and unreasonably demanding guests. (I'm in the business of customer service and have seen it all and heard it all and Viking staff handle it all with grace and provide great dignity to those upset by their perceived service slights.) (One cannot make this stuff up: a guest on our most recent Windmills and Tulips tour was EXTREMELY irate the whole trip because 1) we didn't sail past the Parliament Building in Budapest as shown on the tv ads and 2) it rained a lot. In the Netherlands. In April. Bless his heart.)

hmmm....we sailed by the Parliament building at night on our Viking cruise....they made a big deal about everyone coming up on deck to see the beautifully lit buildings.......

People do find the strangest things to complain about!!!

Baily Swedishfish....does Viking do much to encourage your loyalty to book future cruises? I think we were given $200/pp if booked within a year.

On Vantage it is initially 5% credit and slowly increases...after 3 cruises we will also get free custom air (plus cost difference if there is any).