Recommend a river cruise line for us please

katmu

Whatever the season you are travelling on a river cruise, do pack some drugs to help you fight a cold be it a runny nose, sore throat, or a "hard to get rid of" cough. The cold virus is easily picked up from other travellers on the plane, the cruise ship, and sightseeing buses. The ship is well air-conditioned as well so changes in outside/indoor temperatures can make one get too hot then cool off. While there are many pharmacies to buy cold drugs from in Europe, the brands you are used to may not be available and the instructions for use are in a foreign language. Be on the safe side. Have the cold medication at hand's reach should you feel an oncoming cold. Best to attack it before it gets a hold in your body and decreases your enjoyment of the cruise.

Thank you for your helpful and informative posts, however, it is unnecessary to put them on multiple threads.

One of the best beers I have ever had was in Brugge.......it is called

ZOT:)........I have tried to find it here at home without success:(

I normally like Stella and that is around everywhere but ZOT....it is

DELICIOUS......very smooth.....not hoppy......wish I could find it.

Edited by Lois R

Hello LoisR,

perhaps this helps: https://www.beermenus.com/beers/989-brugse-zot

Back on the topic of a river cruise line: not sure which line might best serve the area and the op's wishes, but a ship of the 110m length I think I would prefer these days... on the Rhine with an extension or pre-cruise option of Brussels /Bruges/Ghent. Sounds better and better the more I hear about Belgian beer and think of Belgian chocolate. :D

I can get Belgian chocolate locally but it is just not the same as buying it in Belgium in the atmosphere of a different country.

notamermaid

Lambics are one of my favorite types of beer (in Belgium, Faro is my favorite - not the more fruity options). The past few years, my husband (an avid homebrewer) has brewed me a Birthday Lambic (he started in 2012 for my 40th birthday in 2013) Lambics need to age (in the fermenting keg) for a long time - a year is good! In the old days, they were fermented/aged in barns where the wild yeasts could get in. These days we have to use other means to get the same flavors (well, there are some local craft breweries who do open fermenting with real wild yeast, but it's hard for a homebrewer to do so - we do not) We just bottled the 2015 version - I've had a few glasses so far - it's nice!

We have done a few fruit beers in the ~8 years my husband has been brewing, but since he doesn't like a fruit beer, not so many. That's where I go to local craft breweries to see what they're doing with fruit these days.

Have you been fortunate enough to try some of what Allagash brews up in their cool ship? If you ever get to Portland ME, visit their brewery. Best tour ever.

Yes, have had and enjoyed Allagash! Thought about a beer trip to Portland this summer but decided on Boston instead. Have a good friend from high school living there who is a beer geek like us and she finds us good stuff to try. She starts a new job in July working for Craft Beer Cellars...

Beer for my husband and Christmas Markets for me is how we ended up choosing our river cruise itinerary :-) We'll probably do Belgium on a land trip (I studied there for a year when I was in college - that's how I got my beer geek training!)

Any feedback on this itinerary? I like that it has an overnight in Vienna. Is the stop in Regensburg too long? I would do a pre-trip stay on Budapest, as the dates that would work for us to catch all of the Christmas markets are in that direction. I would still want to extend to Amsterdam for sure as that is the best option for non-stop flights home. If I can swing the bit of extra vacation time, I would like to add a few days in Belgium.

http://www.vantagetravel.com/ourjourneys/deluxe-river-journeys/main-danube-germany-austria-beyond/2017/itinerary#top

Edited by katmu

It does sound interesting. An unsual itinerary. I do think that some other cruise lines have overnight stops in Vienna.

Regensburg does sound long. The area is nice though, I have not been to the town myself so cannot comment on that.

Highly unusual is the disembarkation in Koblenz. Not a bad idea at all. An extension to Belgium would involve a three hour coach ride but is worth it I think. Brussels has a great Christmas market. Amsterdam is even further away, but for flights, of course, it makes sense to end there. If you chose not to do an extension but would like to get to Amsterdam nevertheless you could always get public transport. Koblenz has a main line connecting you with Cologne and thus Belgium and the Netherlands (you need to change trains in Cologne).

Again, an unusual itinerary.

notamermaid

Any feedback on this itinerary? I like that it has an overnight in Vienna. Is the stop in Regensburg too long? I would do a pre-trip stay on Budapest, as the dates that would work for us to catch all of the Christmas markets are in that direction. I would still want to extend to Amsterdam for sure as that is the best option for non-stop flights home. If I can swing the bit of extra vacation time, I would like to add a few days in Belgium.

Very cool itinerary. Love Würzburg, Rothenburg, Bamberg, Nuremburg, etc. Overnight in Vienna - excellent. Koblenz is cute. You miss Cologne by starting so far upriver but not the end of the world. You are thinking of doing it in reverse I assume; the link points to the itinerary starting in Koblenz and ending in Budapest. It took me a minute to navigate the website to find the reverse itinerary; times in port seem similar.

IMO, three days in Regensberg is more than you need; we were able to see most everything in a day (we visited by train on a land-based trip a few years back). Thurn und Taxis Palace is well worth the visit. And the town itself has some great history including bits of Roman ruins incorporated into the current buildings. But it's small and you can walk from one end of the old town to the other in a few minutes.

Another idea when you've spent enough time in Regensberg could be a day trip to Munich...only about 1.5h away by direct train. The train station is on the edge of town (in Regensberg); easily walkable. Munich is huge though so you'd have to have a specific plan of what you want to do when you get there so it's worth your while. Or if you're sick of touring towns by that point use the extra day to rest and relax for the second half of the trip.

Any feedback on this itinerary? I like that it has an overnight in Vienna. Is the stop in Regensburg too long?

We visited Regensburg on our Amsterdam to Bucharest cruise with Scenic in early June. It was about a 4 -5 hour stop that just included a walking tour of the old medieval town with some free time.

I see that Vantage includes a tour of the Thurn and Taxis castle. Lucky you! This will be a guided tour by the castle's employees and will last around 1 1/2 hrs. I believe that this attraction also has a Christmas market in the courtyard so probably that tour will end up taking at least 1/2 day. This attraction has a website that gives info on what you'll see/experience. I missed out on seeing this beautiful residence due to our brief time there and the castle's strict hours of guided visitation. It would have been a highlight IMO.

The guided walking tour will take 1 1/2 hr with probably a stop at the Wurst stand by the river's stone bridge area for a sausage sandwich (about 2E for grab and go). There are some benches to sit alongside the river to enjoy the delicious sandwich filled with 2 small pork sausages, sauerkraut, and sweet mustard. Delicious! As some time will be taken up with the bus ride to Regensburg from your docked ship, this tour too will be half a day. We made no inside visits even though all of the churches were free.

Our walking tour circled from the old stone bridge to the Ratzhausplatz to a patrician house to a shopping area and ended up at the Cathedral of St. Peter. This covered just a small portion of Regensburg so you will have time to walk to other areas on your own time. So what would be of interest in Regensburg?

I found that the sights in Regensburg were in 3 clusters that were at least a 15 minute walk apart. You could explore these sights on the 2 half days and full day of free time you will be getting on your itinerary. These sights include churches, a historical museum, shopping areas, and noted buildings for their architecture. A travel guide book on Germany (free at the library) should be helpful in order to help you familiarize yourself what Regensburg offers. Do a google search on Regensburg as well - info and map at your finger tips!

One cluster close to the bridge/river area, includes the Alten Kapelle (must pop in here to see the lovely old rococo decorated church- won't be on the walking tour) which is close to the Porta Pratoria and the main cathedral of St. Peter, an outside stop on most walking tours, so you will use some of your free time with an inside visit. If seeing the Church's medieval treasures like religious artifacts and gold thread garments is of interest to you, the Cathedral Treasury Museum charges 3E, but there is no charge for the Cathedral visit itself. Regensburg Historical Museum (5E) is a 4 minute walk from the Cathedral for at least an hour visit on its 2 floors to see remains from Roman times and life in the Medieval Ages in Regensburg. The WT will stop at the Rathausplatz but you won't go in to see the old town hall where the Imperial Diet met nor its cellar prison (7.50E). The shopping area along Untere Bachgasse includes the famous mustard shop whose mustard you tasted in the sausage sandwich by the river. More shopping at - Galleria kaufhof - and another twin towered Gothic church - Neupfarrkirche/New Parish Church.

The second cluster centers around the Thurn residence and St. Emmeram's Church. Perhaps while you are at the Thurn residence you can use your free time to see inside this church as they are side by side. The church inside is similar to the baroque/rococo style seen in Alte Kapelle - white plaster with gild, ceiling frescoes- yet different with its opera like boxes and lovely carved wood bench ends.

The third cluster centers around the Collegiate Church of St. John/Schotten kirche St. Jakob. The highly ornamental doorway is the reason for a walk out here. Of course, the inside will be interest too with its frescoes, stained glass windows, and skillfully carved bench ends. It's about 10 min walk away from the Thurn castle.

Our ship was not docked at Regensburg center - the river flows fast and furious here so you should know that your time there will include bus rides to and from the ship. The central bus stop which has free washrooms is on the other side of the stone bridge about an 8 minute walk to that riverside sausage stand I described above. The third day at Regensburg may not be a full day as I remember our ship often had early afternoon departures. The weather might also determine your willingness to spend your free time outdoors wandering the streets, visiting shops and attractions.

Hope you make the most of this longer visit at Regensburg.

Remind me and maybe my memory is flawed but isn't the BMW plant in regensburg ? You contact them online for tour reservations and they give tours daily in English.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sounds right. Have not been to this one (stopped by the main one in Munich) but I think some cruise lines offer tours here.

Sounds right. Have not been to this one (stopped by the main one in Munich) but I think some cruise lines offer tours here.

You can book a tour online - they send an email confirm bad then take a taxi from your boat. We had friends who did this last summer. Sadly we arrived on a Saturday and when I inquired 3 months ahead there was nothing available.

So don't depend on just the cruise company this can be booked on your own.

We are considering Scenic's tour of either the Moselle or Volga rivers for 2017. I would appreciate your reviews, opinions concerning the excursions from the ports on these two rivers. We just completed Scenic's Amsterdam to Bucharest river cruise so we are familiar with some of the sights along the Rhine and Bavaria Germany although there won't be a repetition of ports, I am sure. I don't know what to expect on the Volga. The two ports that I am familiar with are St. Petersburg which we visited on an Oceania cruise and Moscow. Thanks for your feedback.

We are considering Scenic's tour of either the Moselle or Volga rivers for 2017. I would appreciate your reviews, opinions concerning the excursions from the ports on these two rivers. We just completed Scenic's Amsterdam to Bucharest river cruise so we are familiar with some of the sights along the Rhine and Bavaria Germany although there won't be a repetition of ports, I am sure. I don't know what to expect on the Volga. The two ports that I am familiar with are St. Petersburg which we visited on an Oceania cruise and Moscow. Thanks for your feedback.

When you say the Volga, are you referring to the Moscow to STP cruises that start on the Moscow River then eventually the canal and end up in STP?

We did that cruise with Vantage in 2011 and loved it. Vantage no longer does that cruise. Look for a cruise line that puts you in hotel in Moscow and STP instead of commuting through traffic from the riverboat.

Excellent post and I agree! River cruising is too significant an investment in time and money to take chances on a line that does not inspire confidence nor provide the overall level of quality and inclusions we prefer.

I'm glad some think that way...it leaves more bargains to be had by the rest of us.

We booked a 10 day Danube Viking cruise...our first river cruise ever...We have wanted to take a river cruise for a long time, but prices were way higher than I wanted to pay...I think we stole this one!

We will see if they live up to the "marginal" reputation that many on CC have of them, or (hopefully more likely) if they actually deliver a great product.

I will let you know when we get back.

Look for a cruise line that puts you in hotel in Moscow and STP instead of commuting through traffic from the riverboat.

Thanks for raising a question for me to ask my travel agent or Scenic. Did you, by any chance, go off on your own to see sights in STP that might have been close to your hotel on those days when a full day was not organized? I am wandering if one visit STP sights without a tourist guide.

Thanks for raising a question for me to ask my travel agent or Scenic. Did you, by any chance, go off on your own to see sights in STP that might have been close to your hotel on those days when a full day was not organized? I am wandering if one visit STP sights without a tourist guide.

We had a little free time in STP and did walk from our hotel, that was located about a mile from Red Square. I had researched restaurants walking distance from the hotel and we found three or four that were good. We found a bookstore and purchased some books on cooking (in English) Russian dishes. We saw a cathedral, I think it was St. Isaacs. We then went back to the Church of Spllled Blood where we had time to go inside and see it well.

Edited by 4774Papa
spelling

We are considering Scenic's tour of either the Moselle or Volga rivers for 2017. I would appreciate your reviews, opinions concerning the excursions from the ports on these two rivers.

Hi Glorybe, I am wondering whether you might get more responses to your question by starting a new thread with your subject title?

Edited by Sapphire73

I called Vantage today and have some more details. This itinerary is basically 2 of their 8 day itineraries put together. So one ends in Regensburg and then the other one starts there. I would probably enjoy the BMW factory tour, if it's running. It's offered provided the production line is running. A day in Munich might also be a good option. Although with about 3 weeks total in Europe, a day to rest on the boat in the middle might be nice too.

My mom seems to like this option the best so far. I'm going to go over all of the options in detail with her when I visit over 4th of July weekend.

I called Vantage today and have some more details. This itinerary is basically 2 of their 8 day itineraries put together.

My mom seems to like this option the best so far. I'm going to go over all of the options in detail with her when I visit over 4th of July weekend.

This does look like a fun itinerary. I took a quick look at it and was puzzled at that there were no reviews until I realized that it must be a combination of itineraries as you found out after calling Vantage.

Look forward to hearing what you end up booking and then reading your trip report after you sail!

• 2 weeks later...

After all the back and forth, we settled on a shorter 7 night AmaWaterways cruise with pre and post cruise stays in Budapest and Prague, respectively. This was partly due to my boss having concerns about the length of time I would be gone, so we may end up doing a 2nd trip of around 2 weeks at another point. The travel agent is holding a standard cabin on the AmaCerto for us while I try to figure out for sure if we want to upgrade to the french balcony or not, or just spend the extra $$$ on hotels instead. I'm pretty happy with the deal the TA was able to get us for Ama.

My mom is really excited to see the Christmas markets. Thank you for all of the help.

This is the itinerary we picked: http://www.amawaterways.com/christmas-markets-on-the-danube-2017

I haven't sailed in a window cabin on a river ship, but DW and I find that the French Balcony cabin is wonderful because of the full-window wall that floods the cabin with light and lets us see the scenery -- even if we never open the sliding door. With less light in the winter and the sun deck too cold to use, IMO this would be even more valuable on a Christmas markets cruise [which, again, I haven't taken]. BUT there are many posters here who are very happy with the window cabins -- and glad to be able to apply the savings to other things. I doubt that anybody's opinion is really going to give you insight to how YOU will feel on your cruise -- but the good news is that I am quite sure that whichever you choose, you will have a great time!