Would X sell a segment of a TA at a cheaper rate?

Ox Fan Cruiser

I'd love to sail on the Eclipse on it's TA in October. Problem is, my wife doesn't have much time off at work. The Eclipse sails from South Hampton to Boston on it's first leg of the cruise to Florida. We live 35 miles from Boston. The leg is Saturday to Saturday. Perfect for what we need. I called them and they don't break it down. I "could" ask for a early disembarkation after booking. Meaning full fare and tips for the entire sailing, not just SH to Boston. Is this always the case?

A good few years ago we were looking for a late Easter cruise in the Med on a range of lines. As it was TA time rather than full Med season we hadn't seen anything.

Then out of the blue an 8 night Lisbon to Venice cruise on Splendour of the seas appeared on RC. It was the end part of a repositioning from South America. They had struggled with sales and had decided to market this leg as a separate cruise. We certainly were not the only ones boarding...

Unfortunately I think the TA cruises are gaining rather than loosing popularity meaning the chances of them having empty rooms and having to be creative becomes less likely...I honestly would not expect X to offer to break up the cruise into segments. From their perspective if you pay for the room for a full cruise and leave half way through they have an empty room with no one buying drinks....

So I guess my message is I do think there are rare exceptions but I can't see one of them being the Eclipse TA.

Hope you can sort out extra time off and enjoy the full cruise, it would be nice to get to warmer places after what would probably be a cold crossing.

I'm hoping more than expecting them to break it down by segment. I wouldn't mind paying 75% of the fare to be onboard for 50% of the cruise. I bet I'm not alone on this thinking. I could also see others being interested in a Boston to 2 days in NYC, 2 days in Bermuda, 1 day in Nassau to Miami cruise. That could be sold at another 75% of the full fare cruise price.

No - this itinerary could not be split at Boston due to the PVSA. The 2nd half would be Boston to Miami. The problem is the foreign flagged ship would be transporting passengers between two US ports without calling on a distant foreign port in between. No - Bermuda nor Bahamas are a distant foreign port for PVSA.

I'm hoping more than expecting them to break it down by segment. I wouldn't mind paying 75% of the fare to be onboard for 50% of the cruise. I bet I'm not alone on this thinking. I could also see others being interested in a Boston to 2 days in NYC, 2 days in Bermuda, 1 day in Nassau to Miami cruise. That could be sold at another 75% of the full fare cruise price.

You would probably be better off looking at a Holland America cruise...they do sell cruises in segments....don't know if they have one that would work for you but don't think Celebrity will ever do this....they are happy to have you board late or leave early but at this time they have no set up to "resell" those days so you will pay full fare no matter what...

No - this itinerary could not be split at Boston due to the PVSA. The 2nd half would be Boston to Miami. The problem is the foreign flagged ship would be transporting passengers between two US ports without calling on a distant foreign port in between. No - Bermuda nor Bahamas are a distant foreign port for PVSA.

"PVSA"?

1st leg is England to USA. Not 2 US ports.

2nd leg is Boston / NYC / Burmuda / Bahamas / Miami.

What is the problem with these 2 legs being sold separately?

"PVSA"?

1st leg is England to USA. Not 2 US ports.

2nd leg is Boston / NYC / Burmuda / Bahamas / Miami.

What is the problem with these 2 legs being sold separately?

The 2nd leg - Boston to Miami - 2 US ports

"The Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 (sometimes abbreviated to PVSA, Passenger Services Act, or PSA) is a protectionist piece of United States legislation which came into force in 1886 relating to cabotage. Essentially, it says:

No foreign vessels shall transport passengers between ports or places in the United States, either directly or by way of a foreign port, under a penalty of $200 (now $300) for each passenger so transported and landed."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Vessel_Services_Act_of_1886

Routinely does seven night Transatlantic crossings between Southampton and New York--just looked, there are several sailings during October and November 2016--aboard Queen Mary 2...

No, it's not Boston... And I didn't look to see if they're scheduled from Saturday to Saturday... But for what you're trying to do, they may be your best--to my mind without running afoul of PVSA, perhaps only--option...

Edited by Xport

yeah, It's too bad they don't break it up. Both 1/2s would sell easily IMHO.

But then the fare would go up- their is a cost associated with embarking & disembarking passengers, dock workers, baggage handlers, port staff not to mention the extra work for the crew.

Transatlantics are more popular that in the past. I think many retired folks that have traveled a lot have done so many cruises that they do a TA coupled with a land trip in Europe. We have done two TAs and on the Infinity in 2013, the cruise critic meet and greet had almost 200 persons, the largest I have ever seen.

Are you kidding?

TA cruises ( we do them every year!) are bargain basement - if you love ship life and sea days its the sale of the century.

No way will any cruiseline discount -

And no wonder - great bargain!!

They are not the bargain they used to be. In 2013 we paid $ 1340 pp for a Aqua cabin and the beverage package was included in the price.

This year we are paying $1710 pp for a standard veranda with no perk. They are very popular and I would guess very profitable.

They are not the bargain they used to be. In 2013 we paid $ 1340 pp for a Aqua cabin and the beverage package was included in the price.

This year we are paying $1710 pp for a standard veranda with no perk. They are very popular and I would guess very profitable.

$1700 - how long for? Spring or Fall?

For what 13-14 nights?

$1700 - how long for? Spring or Fall?

For what 13-14 nights?

Fall 15 nights $1700pp includes port fees/taxes.

Grandgeezer got a real deal for a 1A at $600pp +port fees/taxes may have been after final payment or a guarantee. The 15 night fall Silhouette for a 1A is $1900pp for 1A and the 13 night Equinox 1A is $1500pp. Maybe Grandgeezer will share their secret:)

Grandgeezer got a real deal for a 1A at $600pp +port fees/taxes may have been after final payment or a guarantee. The 15 night fall Silhouette for a 1A is $1900pp for 1A and the 13 night Equinox 1A is $1500pp. Maybe Grandgeezer will share their secret:)

There was no secret. The transatlantics weren't selling. If I rember right, the 15 day Reflection was around $800. These were the pricing on both the Celebrity website and their Xciting Deals for about two weeks. This was about six weeks before the sailing. It wasn't a guarantee, we got to pick our cabin, as almost all the lower categories were sold out. About two weeks earlier the guarantees were going for $800.

This sale was a fluke, I don't expect to see these pricing again. This was an east bount ta, usually west bounds sell for more.

Just had a look on UK pricing Equinox is around £300 pp cheaper - than Sillhouette - Reflection is in the middle -

Last year we got free drinks - think you are right they don't seem to be offering any perks on TA to UK either this year- although to be honest we wont do Celebrity TA again - for sure WILL cruise Celebrity again but not for TAs. Prefer NCL for these. Celebrity's Persian gardens are such a let down compared to NCL and on a TA - we like those spa days.

NCL TA we get - ooooh let me see -14 nights in Mini suite, flights (KLM AND BA) to Barcelona (via Amsterdam) and return (Via London) from Miami, (To Scotland) free drinks and six specialty dining nights - and the pax is a bit younger - no offence intended - just everything on the X TA is geared up to an older generation. Jade is doing an amazing route this fall - sure she is an older ship - but its the best TA route I have seen in years! Fantastic stops along the way - it really is an awesome TA cruise! We booked all of our NCL TAs right through to November 17 and picked up amazing bargains - For sure we will cruise with Celebrity again - loved our Solstice experience in Alaska - but just not for Transatlantic cruises where the Spa is important to us, the "Freestyle concept" and the nightlife - ie deck parties and nightclubs etc. Foodwise for the price we paid - we can easily have change leftover if we were to pay to dine in a speciality restaurant every night on our other 8 out of fourteen nights. During the day NCL open their main dining rooms every day (which we like we don't like buffet) and also have a 24 hour bar serving both food and drink 24 hours...

Celebrity of course is in a different league for service and finesse- There is no disputing that - but for TA cruises where there are very few kids on board - take a look at NCL and keep an open mind - the route is an absolute cracker and the prices & perks are awesome!

We paid less than £3200 total for all of the above for us both!:eek:

Sorry - forget if this applies to your original post cant remember from where to where you were wanting to segment :/ My apologies - but hey - some good useless info for you ;)

Edited by Blondie008

Just had a look on UK pricing Equinox is around £300 pp cheaper - than Sillhouette - Reflection is in the middle -

Last year we got free drinks - think you are right they don't seem to be offering any perks on TA to UK either this year- although to be honest we wont do Celebrity TA again - for sure WILL cruise Celebrity again but not for TAs. Prefer NCL for these. Celebrity's Persian gardens are such a let down compared to NCL and on a TA - we like those spa days.

NCL TA we get - ooooh let me see -14 nights in Mini suite, flights (KLM AND BA) to Barcelona (via Amsterdam) and return (Via London) from Miami, (To Scotland) free drinks and six specialty dining nights - and the pax is a bit younger - no offence intended - just everything on the X TA is geared up to an older generation. Jade is doing an amazing route this fall - sure she is an older ship - but its the best TA route I have seen in years! Fantastic stops along the way - it really is an awesome TA cruise! We booked all of our NCL TAs right through to November 17 and picked up amazing bargains - For sure we will cruise with Celebrity again - loved our Solstice experience in Alaska - but just not for Transatlantic cruises where the Spa is important to us, the "Freestyle concept" and the nightlife - ie deck parties and nightclubs etc. Foodwise for the price we paid - we can easily have change leftover if we were to pay to dine in a speciality restaurant every night on our other 8 out of fourteen nights. During the day NCL open their main dining rooms every day (which we like we don't like buffet) and also have a 24 hour bar serving both food and drink 24 hours...

Celebrity of course is in a different league for service and finesse- There is no disputing that - but for TA cruises where there are very few kids on board - take a look at NCL and keep an open mind - the route is an absolute cracker and the prices & perks are awesome!

We paid less than £3200 total for all of the above for us both!:eek:

Sorry - forget if this applies to your original post cant remember from where to where you were wanting to segment :/ My apologies - but hey - some good useless info for you ;)

We have done two Tax, one with X and one with NCL. We prefer X. We did both cruises in a balcony. Both cruises were about $6-700 pp.

Both stopped in the Azores.

The Celebrity Eclipse TA we are booked on next Fall from Southampton to Miami stops at Boston, NYC, Bermuda, and Bahamas. That is a lot of ports and the price s about $1400 pp. for a balcony.

We have done two Tax, one with X and one with NCL. We prefer X. We did both cruises in a balcony. Both cruises were about $6-700 pp.

The Celebrity Eclipse TA we are booked on next Fall from Southampton to Miami stops at Boston, NYC, Bermuda, and Bahamas. That is a lot of ports and the price s about $1400 pp. for a balcony.

I wouldn't sail from Southampton if you paid me :eek:

and personally - I prefer the warmer route-

Barcelona, Spain

Mon Cartagena, Spain

Tue Granada (Malaga), Spain

Wed At Sea

Thu Funchal, Madeira

Fri At Sea

Sat At Sea

Sun At Sea

Mon At Sea

Tue Royal Naval Dockyard, Bermuda 09:00 AM 05:00 PM 1

Wed At Sea

Thu At Sea

Fri Miami, Florida

Sat At Sea

Sun Tampa, Florida.

I just priced it out - WITHOUT flights - and ZERO perks - for a basic guarantee balcony its coming in at £2400 for two

add flights to that and (I wouldn't sail Celebrity in an ordinary balcony) it is around 5K - £GBP !

No chance - and brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr cold weather on that crossing from Southampton - way too chilly when you can go the Madeira route ...BTW it doesn't stop in the azores - its Southampton to Boston to NYC - get the thermals on - me - I am in my bikini on the water slides :D

Edited by Blondie008