Appropriate Dress for MDR

We will be sailing on Freedom of the Seas in July. Young adults 23, 18, 17 will be traveling as well. I have read the dress code for the evening in the main dining room but was wondering if the kids had to wear dress pants or are jeans acceptable? I am afraid dress up will equal few family dinners.

There is no rule against jeans, they are perfectly allowable. Most people wear a mixture of jeans, khakis/chinos or trousers, with polo or golf shirt. Lots in t shirts also. All of this is completely inside the rules.

You will get a lot of differing opinions - dress codes is a hot button topic on CC! There is a nightly dress suggestion of casual or formal. Then there is the actual dress code, which is no shorts, flip flops, sleeveless tops or bathing suits. The 'no shorts' part is not always enforced but sometimes is.

This question gets asked quite frequently (and yes, your children are allowed to wear them), but every time I see this question, I stop and wonder. I do not recall ever seeing anyone wearing jeans in the Bahamas or the Caribbean. It is soooo hot and jeans are soooo heavy.:confused:

We will be sailing on Freedom of the Seas in July. Young adults 23, 18, 17 will be traveling as well. I have read the dress code for the evening in the main dining room but was wondering if the kids had to wear dress pants or are jeans acceptable? I am afraid dress up will equal few family dinners.

Casual pants like Dockers are more common (and generally more comfortable in the Caribbean), but jeans are acceptable. Most people do not wear what I would call "dress pants", unless it's a designated formal night.

And, despite the warnings, you really won't get a big variety of opinions on a question like this. There may be the occasional person who is staunchly anti-jeans, but most will tell you (as you probably have already seen) that jeans are okay, if that's what you want to wear.

Edited by Paul65

This question gets asked quite frequently (and yes, your children are allowed to wear them), but every time I see this question, I stop and wonder. I do not recall ever seeing anyone wearing jeans in the Bahamas or the Caribbean. It is soooo hot and jeans are soooo heavy.:confused:

I wear long pants and jeans in Florida all the time. The temperature is often times approaching the high 90's. People I work around, as well as just about everyone, is wearing pants

The evening temperature on the ship is cool.

But to answer the question, jeans are acceptable in the MDR, and especially if worn with a nice polo.

I just departed the Allure of the seas yesterday... Sigh...had a wonderful time with great weather and calm seas.

But I could not help but notice the lack of enforcing any rules regarding the dress code for the main dining room. Especially on the last night. I would say that a good 30% of the guys were wearing shorts and t-shirts. Now I don't consider myself a snob and I realize that on the last night you have all your clothes packed... But aren't rules are rules? There are other places to eat where you can dress anyway you want.

Now it did not take away from our wonderful time and even dinner that last night but it was quite obvious that the dress code went out and over the balcony.

I wear long pants and jeans in Florida all the time. The temperature is often times approaching the high 90's. People I work around, as well as just about everyone, is wearing pants

The evening temperature on the ship is cool.

But to answer the question, jeans are acceptable in the MDR, and especially if worn with a nice polo.

I am sure you do...and I am sure a good number of people from a warm weather environment are acclimated to such attire. My statement was referring to "cruises". How often do people wear jeans on cruises? My guess is not many. :) I did not state no one wears them. I just never notice them on the cruises I have been on. :) Even my husband (who lives in jeans) doesn't wear them on a cruise. :)

I don't care what others wear to dinner. That is their deal, dress like a slob.....

not my problem.

For ourselves, we consider where we are eating and dress ourselves accordingly.

If we are going to the WJ, ....casual. If we are eating in the MDR, the atmosphere

is white table cloth, cloth napkins, waiters with sharp attire serving your courses,

..... smart casual (or formal on formal night).

How would you dress if you went out to a nice dinner at a white table cloth, fine dining

restaurant? Or how would you dress when you eat at McDonalds? It's all a matter

of personal preference. It's your choice alone. The rules are in place as stated and

requested, but not always followed. It is up to the passenger to make logical decisions.

Edited by island lady

We are casual dressers. Jeans, capris - whatever is comfortable. On our last cruise we skipped the first formal night and the next night our waiters asked why. We told them we don't dress up. They said it didn't matter - what we wore was fine and to come the next formal night. So we did. And it was fine.

Eh. It's a cruise, you're on vacation, and they want your future business.

My personal opinion is just to dress clean and pressed so as to create an acceptable first appearance. Shirt is probably just as important as pants, and although I've been known to wear "dress shorts" (lol) in the MDR, I don't care at all to see the same tee's at dining that I'd see by the pool. But that's them, I can ignore, and it doesn't spoil my dinner experience one tiny bit.

If any staff create a scene in front of a crowd for no good reason, I believe they risk any good standing they might have with their bosses. I personally have never seen that happen, and I'm glad I haven't.

I don't care what others wear to dinner. That is their deal, dress like a slob.....

not my problem.

For ourselves, we consider where we are eating and dress ourselves accordingly.

If we are going to the WJ, ....casual. If we are eating in the MDR, the atmosphere

is white table cloth, cloth napkins, waiters with sharp attire serving your courses,

..... smart casual (or formal on formal night).

How would you dress if you went out to a nice dinner at a white table cloth, fine dining

restaurant? Or how would you dress when you eat at McDonalds? It's all a matter

of personal preference. It's your choice alone. The rules are in place as stated and

requested, but not always followed. It is up to the passenger to make logical decisions.

Well...since we just did that last Friday for our anniversary (steak house rated 4 stars by Zagat) I can tell you jeans were VERY common...including me...and I saw three men my age or older wearing shorts and flip-flops.

Now, they were nice shorts because I recognized the logo and wear them when golfing at the country club...but they were shorts.

So to the OP...hope you kids enjoy the cruise and are comfortable in their jeans.

Jeans, sneakers and baseball cap on formal night a few tables down from us on Brilliance last night.

A ballcap at a dinner table? That's nutty. If there's someone seated at my table wearing a ballcap, they have to buy the table a round of drinks!

Well...since we just did that last Friday for our anniversary (steak house rated 4 stars by Zagat) I can tell you jeans were VERY common...including me...and I saw three men my age or older wearing shorts and flip-flops.

Now, they were nice shorts because I recognized the logo and wear them when golfing at the country club...but they were shorts.

So to the OP...hope you kids enjoy the cruise and are comfortable in their jeans.

As I said, and you quoted me, It's all a matter of personal preference. I simply stated what

I would wear.

I don't care what you wear. It's what you feel comfortable dressing as. I don't feel

comfortable going into a fine dining restaurant with shorts and flip flops. That is my

personal preference. To each their own, you stated how you would dress. To each

their own. Enjoy.

Edited by island lady

I don't feel comfortable going into a fine dining restaurant with shorts and flip flops. That is my personal preference. To each their own, you stated how you would dress.

That response from TC1957 seemed kind of odd, anyway. I don't know if the steak house he went to was really a "white tablecloth" type of place or not, as a Zagat rating has very little to do with the formality of the decor. But wearing so-called "nice shorts" with designer labels along with flip-flops was the part that seemed a little weird to me. But, as you say, to each their own.

That response from TC1957 seemed kind of odd, anyway. I don't know if the steak house he went to was really a "white tablecloth" type of place or not, as a Zagat rating has very little to do with the formality of the decor. But wearing so-called "nice shorts" with designer labels along with flip-flops was the part that seemed a little weird to me. But, as you say, to each their own.

Yup....I thought it was odd also...oh well. ;) To each their own.

BTW: For our anniversary on Freedom the DH wore his tux, and I was in a

cocktail dress. Oh the horrors of being such outcasts!!! :eek: :p :p :p

Yup....I thought it was odd also...oh well. ;) To each their own.

BTW: For our anniversary on Freedom the DH wore his tux, and I was in a

cocktail dress. Oh the horrors of being such outcasts!!! :eek: :p :p :p

In addition to my tux, sometimes I bring my dinner jacket. :eek:

I can't recall last time I brought jeans. I typically take two pair of khakis and wear them 5 nights.