Confused about additional charges

Chocolate Rose

I just booked our first cruise on HAL for next May. I'm now reading all of the fine print/details. It indicates that there is a $13 per day per guest Hotel Service Charge. Is this in addition to the $60 per day shipboard account or is it part of the cruise price or is it a totally separate charge?

I just booked our first cruise on HAL for next May. I'm now reading all of the fine print/details. It indicates that there is a $13 per day per guest Hotel Service Charge. Is this in addition to the $60 per day shipboard account or is it part of the cruise price or is it a totally separate charge?

Best to ask your question on the HAL board. Not sure what the $60 per day is that you're referring to. I think that is either a cash deposit or a credit card hold to ensure that the Hotel Service Charge gets paid. All mass market cruise lines have a daily Service Charge. Some lines call it automatically billed gratuities.

Thanks! I'll move my question over to HAL.

OP - For future reference: Comparing only cabin costs when cruising is a worthless endeavor. A better approach is to compare "net daily rates," which take into account all costs associated with your trip "door to door."

For example, premium cruise lines definitely have higher cabin costs until you determine the value of what is provided beyond what the mass market line provides. This may, and often does include things like airfare, beverages, specialty restaurants, internet, gratuities, etc. Do the math and you may be surprised.

The $13 pp per night charge are the tips. There is no need to tip more than that. I have no idea what or why they say there is a $60 per day charge....for what?

Unless YOU buy something that isn't included in your fare, there should be no other charges.

The $13 pp per night charge are the tips. There is no need to tip more than that. I have no idea what or why they say there is a $60 per day charge....for what?

Unless YOU buy something that isn't included in your fare, there should be no other charges.

I believe the $60 per person/day is the cash deposit requested to cover anticipated onboard spending - which would include the $13 service charge. If you provide a credit card upon boarding, there is no specified daily amount.

I believe the $60 per person/day is the cash deposit requested to cover anticipated onboard spending - which would include the $13 service charge. If you provide a credit card upon boarding, there is no specified daily amount.

Not true. HAL advises that a $60 per day hold will occur when you board against your possible charges on the ship. It is a hold only, and is released when your card processes your on board purchases.

Not true. HAL advises that a $60 per day hold will occur when you board against your possible charges on the ship. It is a hold only, and is released when your card processes your on board purchases.

What is "not true"?

Someone who deposits cash as an alternative to having a hold placed on a debit or credit card will be asked to put up $60 per person per day; to be supplemented if exhausted, or refunded if not used up by the end of the cruise.

OP simply referred to the $60 per day estimated shipboard account figure given him by the line - not mentioning how he wanted to cover it.

What is "not true"?

The part where you said that if you give a credit card, there is no specific amount held. That is what the $60/day refers to- it will be held against your credit card as well.

From the HAL website:

Upon embarkation, we will seek an initial authorization on your card of USD $60 per person for each day of your cruise,

Edited by CruiserBruce

A credit card hold is not a charge or expense.

But it isn't a cost or expense.

Look at it this way: HAL estimates that each person will spend about $60pp/per day. This will include the Hotel charge, and might also include drinks that are not free, souvenirs in the shops onboard, bingo, video arcade, spa, specialty restaurants...So, they place a $60pp/pd hold on the credit limit on your credit card. this is not a charge, just a hold. Nothing is actually charged to your card until the end of the cruise. This should not impact you unless you are using a card with a relatively low credit limit, and are also using that card for shopping in port. This can also have a negative impact if you are using a debit card instead of a credit card, because it reduces the amount in your checking account for paying bills, and the holds may not fall off right away after the end of the cruise. EM

OP - For future reference: Comparing only cabin costs when cruising is a worthless endeavor. A better approach is to compare "net daily rates," which take into account all costs associated with your trip "door to door."

For example, premium cruise lines definitely have higher cabin costs until you determine the value of what is provided beyond what the mass market line provides. This may, and often does include things like airfare, beverages, specialty restaurants, internet, gratuities, etc. Do the math and you may be surprised.

Thanks for your additional info. I guess I'll just have to chalk it up to first time experience (inexperience). I knew I wanted this specific itinerary and didn't have a choice of cruise lines. I made the assumption (only because I didn't know better) that it would include mandatory gratuities. My mistake. I'm sure it will all work out, may have to cut back on excursions.

Look at it this way: HAL estimates that each person will spend about $60pp/per day. This will include the Hotel charge, and might also include drinks that are not free, souvenirs in the shops onboard, bingo, video arcade, spa, specialty restaurants...So, they place a $60pp/pd hold on the credit limit on your credit card. this is not a charge, just a hold. Nothing is actually charged to your card until the end of the cruise. This should not impact you unless you are using a card with a relatively low credit limit, and are also using that card for shopping in port. This can also have a negative impact if you are using a debit card instead of a credit card, because it reduces the amount in your checking account for paying bills, and the holds may not fall off right away after the end of the cruise. EM

To the extent that HAL's purpose is to insure that passengers' spending will be actually covered, it is only logical for them to somehow monitor ongoing spending so as to be able to increase the hold at such time as a passenger's spending exceeds that $60pp/pd. It is entirely possible for a passenger to spend $300 on tours, $40 per day on drinks, $150 on Internet, $200 on specialty restaurants, $100 on photos - on top of the $13 daily service charge on a 7 day cruise: totaling over $1,500 - or over $210 per day.

Thus, that $60pp/pd is simply an initial estimate of what the minimum is likely to be and so the actual hold must be subject to ongoing increases.

$13 per day is auto gratuities, $60 per day is the recommended amount for cash accounts (or CC hold) to cover daily expenses during the cruise.

If you put up cash and start coming close to using up.the $47 per day reserve for non-service charge items, they will cut off your onboard spending until you deposit more cash. If it is a hold, they simply increase the hold appropriately. There is no way they will let you continue spending without the line being certain of getting their money.

If you put up cash and start coming close to using up.the $47 per day reserve for non-service charge items, they will cut off your onboard spending until you deposit more cash. If it is a hold, they simply increase the hold appropriately. There is no way they will let you continue spending without the line being certain of getting their money.

True.

Edited by Host Walt
Fix coding of quote.