Omelet with real eggs

KirkNC

Pasteurized egg product can actually be in some cases, just eggs, but in most cases it does contain an emulsifier to keep the whites and yolks mixed together. Bit of a difference from Kraft singles. You can also pasteurize eggs in the shell, but this makes them more expensive. The gallon jug of shelled pasteurized egg product is used also where raw eggs are needed, like eggnog, hollandaise.

My point was when I eat eggs I want real eggs and when I eat cheese I don't want cheese food, what is cheese food anyway? Then of course you can also get imitation cheese food....what?

The "Food Service Product" (i.e. liquid eggs) we know has been used for years on HAL, etc. But...the chef acknowledged (on the Oosterdam in Feb.) that indeed, they had switched providers of the pasteurized eggs...that's the diff...supposedly the same "product" but this new provider's stuff was GROSS! Nobody liked it. If they are still using it, I will complain again and again on this upcoming cruise...and make the poor omelette person disappear into the K for a few minutes (as she/he has to do) to come up with eggs in the shell. We all need to. This is not what I expect out of HAL.

The "Food Service Product" (i.e. liquid eggs) we know has been used for years on HAL, etc. But...the chef acknowledged (on the Oosterdam in Feb.) that indeed, they had switched providers of the pasteurized eggs...that's the diff...supposedly the same "product" but this new provider's stuff was GROSS! Nobody liked it. If they are still using it, I will complain again and again on this upcoming cruise...and make the poor omelette person disappear into the K for a few minutes (as she/he has to do) to come up with eggs in the shell. We all need to. This is not what I expect out of HAL.

This must really vary ship by ship. I know the cruises I was on until the most recent had eggs cracked and ready to go for each omelette and I saw them cracking them :confused:

That's why the asking for the eggs in the shell was not something I was used to nor ever thought of before. I only encountered the "concoction" this year for the omelettes. Very strange.

Edited by kazu

The REAL eggs that you actually get when you ask for the real thing are from undocumented chickens.

LOL..:D

Thanks for the Heads up! Will have to remember to ask for eggs in the shell when getting scrambled eggs.:D Had no idea they were using a different product & that was why they did not taste as good as the ones I scramble at home..

I wonder what type of egg product is used when omelets are prepared for Room Service. I frequently order an omelet for my Room Service Breakfast and have always enjoyed the product delivered.

I wonder: is this situation something else that differs from ship to ship?

I wonder what type of egg product is used when omelets are prepared for Room Service. I frequently order an omelet for my Room Service Breakfast and have always enjoyed the product delivered.

I wonder: is this situation something else that differs from ship to ship?

It's not real eggs. I have seen room service menus with asterisks beside those eggs that are "egg product" (most of the eggs) and those that are not (mainly fried eggs or hard boiled).

While I can't say anything about the particular brand that HAL uses, they will never get away from pasteurized egg product. Not only does it make handling simpler, but it makes meeting USPH requirements much easier, as the product is pasteurized, and therefore no warning signs about undercooked egg dishes needs to be placed.

I believe this response is correct. We were on Carnival recently and

noticed that the omelettes were not the same as we were accustomed to.

We complained and the maitre d said they had changed for safety reasons. He suggested we just ask for fresh eggs and they would be happy to comply.

At some level this whole thread grosses me out! Real eggs versus ersatz eggs. I mean really?!?! I have to now go on a cruise I've spent at least a few dollars on and guess or have to ask whether or not I'm getting eggs or kind of eggs??? Sigh.......:(

At some level this whole thread grosses me out! Real eggs versus ersatz eggs. I mean really?!?! I have to now go on a cruise I've spent at least a few dollars on and guess or have to ask whether or not I'm getting eggs or kind of eggs??? Sigh.......:(

At least we've only discussed chicken eggs so far. I think... :)

HAL gets their eggs from a little farm outside of Rotterdam and Gainesville, Georgia,

which is the Chicken Capital of the World. So, when you have an egg or an omelet on

HAL, your getting some of the sweetest eggs on the planet! Bon Apetite!

Given the discussion about omelets on this Message Board, I decided yesterday to post questions about omelets on the Carnival Cruise Line and the Princess Cruise Line Message Boards. The thread's title is "Omelets". You might want to check them out.

As of now, on the Carnival Criuse Line Board, there have been 1029 views and 26 responses. On the Princess Criuse Line Board, there have been 731 views and 16 responses.

It is a fact that Carnival Corporation wants to leverage their size in obtaining the best price fleet-wide for commonly used products. I would think that eggs and egg-type products would be one of those commodities. Whether you are sailing on a Carnival, Princess, HAL, or other Carnival Corporation brand ship, the product used to make one's omelet is the same stuff would be my best guess.

The majority of Princess and Carnival guests seem pleased with the omelets they are served. Some agreement, I think, that the scrambled eggs not made from "eggs in the shell" are lacking.

A few comments were made that whomever was preparing the omelet made a difference. I agree with this observation.

Given the negative comments about HAL's omelets, I wonder, are HAL guests more discerning concerning their egg dishes than guests on Princess and Carnival?

HAL gets their eggs from a little farm outside of Rotterdam and Gainesville, Georgia,

which is the Chicken Capital of the World. So, when you have an egg or an omelet on

HAL, your getting some of the sweetest eggs on the planet! Bon Apetite!

That is totally out of date. HAL now gets most of their "eggs" used in both omelets and scrambled...out of a box! The only way to be assured of getting a real egg is to order them over easy, over medium, eggs Benedict, or have the cook within eyesight after you request him/her to use real eggs.

If you want a sweet egg on HAL...I guess the cook might add a scoop of sugar to the pasteurized egg goop. In fairness to HAL, many large cafeterias also use powder or boxed pasteurized eggs.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Given the discussion about omelets on this Message Board, I decided yesterday to post questions about omelets on the Carnival Cruise Line and the Princess Cruise Line Message Boards. The thread's title is "Omelets". You might want to check them out.

As of now, on the Carnival Criuse Line Board, there have been 1029 views and 26 responses. On the Princess Criuse Line Board, there have been 731 views and 16 responses.

It is a fact that Carnival Corporation wants to leverage their size in obtaining the best price fleet-wide for commonly used products. I would think that eggs and egg-type products would be one of those commodities. Whether you are sailing on a Carnival, Princess, HAL, or other Carnival Corporation brand ship, the product used to make one's omelet is the same stuff would be my best guess.

The majority of Princess and Carnival guests seem pleased with the omelets they are served. Some agreement, I think, that the scrambled eggs not made from "eggs in the shell" are lacking.

A few comments were made that whomever was preparing the omelet made a difference. I agree with this observation.

Given the negative comments about HAL's omelets, I wonder, are HAL guests more discerning concerning their egg dishes than guests on Princess and Carnival?

Clearly, HAL passengers have a more refined palette, enabling them to distinguish the difference. ;)

I like the term "eggs in the shell". It eliminates the come-back "These ARE real eggs!" :p

Maybe I should purchase eggs at the first port of call and take them to the Pinnacle Grill breakfast for the chef to cook for me:D

Edited by erewhon

Maybe I should purchase eggs at the first port of call and take them to the Pinnacle Grill breakfast for the chef to cook for me:D

But you would have to pay the $5 per egg "cracking" fee!

Hank

Clearly, HAL passengers have a more refined palette, enabling them to distinguish the difference. ;)

To me it's less about taste then it is the appearance of the egg products, it looks disgusting. I think I have been eating it for years but until this last cruise I never noticed how unappealing it looks. I think previously they used something that actually looked like eggs, this last time it was a thick semi clear liquid with small pieces of something, yuk :(.