Specialty dining tipping and auto gratuity- time for a change?

I know, I know. Another thread about gratuities. :) I am relatively new to cruising (about to go on my third rcl cruise), and have really been intrigued by the whole cruise line auto gratuities culture, especially in light of the rise of specialty dining. I definitely think that the whole way cruise fares are structured with "gratuities" as a separate charge is a very deliberate strategy on the part of cruise lines to reduce the advertised cruise fare by adding this fee in later... But is it time for a change?

On my last cruise I did not eat at the MDR or windjammer at all. I felt like I was double tipping by paying auto gratuities plus tipping at the end of my restaurant meals. I did tip my room attendant extra at the end of one cruise because I really thought he was excellent. The other one was just ok so I didn't tip him extra.

Rcl claims that the auto gratuities are for your room attendant and MDR staff, so is it time to change this entire tipping structure? Why not lump specialty restaurant gratuities in with the others, or get rid of auto gratuities and have them all be on a per meal basis? Let's face it, rcl doesn't care that with the rise of specialty restaurants we are tipping and then tipping again.. They are very aware of how they are changing dining on their ships for a profit. I think they are also manipulating many cruise goers into chastising each other for adjusting gratuities when they don't feel they are justified... After all, the term being used is gratuities, not service charge or cruising fee, etc. That doesn't seem like a mandatory charge to me.

Why can't we just tip like we do at any restaurant,.. Sure some people are cheap and don't tip well, but that happens everywhere. Why should cruise lines need a different system to prevent this? Am I off the mark on this?

I'm eager for a debate, please be respectful!

I know, I know. Another thread about gratuities. :) I am relatively new to cruising (about to go on my third rcl cruise), and have really been intrigued by the whole cruise line auto gratuities culture, especially in light of the rise of specialty dining. I definitely think that the whole way cruise fares are structured with "gratuities" as a separate charge is a very deliberate strategy on the part of cruise lines to reduce the advertised cruise fare by adding this fee in later... But is it time for a change?

On my last cruise I did not eat at the MDR or windjammer at all. I felt like I was double tipping by paying auto gratuities plus tipping at the end of my restaurant meals. I did tip my room attendant extra at the end of one cruise because I really thought he was excellent. The other one was just ok so I didn't tip him extra.

Rcl claims that the auto gratuities are for your room attendant and MDR staff, so is it time to change this entire tipping structure? Why not lump specialty restaurant gratuities in with the others, or get rid of auto gratuities and have them all be on a per meal basis? Let's face it, rcl doesn't care that with the rise of specialty restaurants we are tipping and then tipping again.. They are very aware of how they are changing dining on their ships for a profit. I think they are also manipulating many cruise goers into chastising each other for adjusting gratuities when they don't feel they are justified... After all, the term being used is gratuities, not service charge or cruising fee, etc. That doesn't seem like a mandatory charge to me.

Why can't we just tip like we do at any restaurant,.. Sure some people are cheap and don't tip well, but that happens everywhere. Why should cruise lines need a different system to prevent this? Am I off the mark on this?

I believe that for the highlighted reason, it will never change.

It will never change. You may need to get used to it. I am not going to debate this often-discussed subject. Cruise lines do not pay their staff according to US wage and hour laws. I might suggest educating yourself on this topic before we have yet another "tipping" thread. "Gratuities" are an essential part of many staff member's wages. Yes, you ARE off the mark on this. Cruise ships are not your local restaurant.

No offense intended.

Edited by loubetti

.....cruise lines should include the dining & housekeeping "gratuities" in the cruise fare and be done with it since everyone eats and sleeps on the ship. Gratuities for bar/spa need to be charged as service/drink is provided since every passenger does not use these services.

They should reduce the fare for me by whatever it costs to maintain the gym and pay all the people who call bingo. While they are at it, take out the cost of running the lounges, paying the guy who plays piano, and the bill to run the flow rider and rock wall. I never use those services. It is better to let me use my money how I see fit to give people who do provide me with service more.

Soon enough there will be food plans where you either pay extra and sign up or you don't get to eat at all for a week. Because everyone enjoys playing $35-$55 for each meal they have on the ship breakfast, lunch and dinner. Much better than the Windjammer and getting gouged those massive $6 per day fees.

Just make the whole ship a la carte because someone doesn't want a waiter to get paid.

Edited by EntropyGuardian

Gratuities can be removed and then tip accordingly. The crew that get tips, however, depend on the tip for their wages. Even when I dine elsewhere I do not feel overcharged[emoji12][emoji12].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove the gratuities and give cash if you wish, but you should be aware that the money will have to be handed into the tip pool. It is only additional tips over and above the daily charge added to your shipboard account that can be kept by the crew member. I thought the gratuity was included in the up charge for speciality dining.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I believe that the tip is included in your Specialty fee.

I also don't want to pay taxes on the tips I leave. If the cruise lines include it in your fare I would have to pay tax on that amount.

If I can afford to cruise I can afford to pay the tips. I am indeed blessed to be able to cruise a few times a year. I am more then happy to tip those that make the experience special.

I wish I could hire staff to come to my home, serve me my meals and keep my bedroom & bathroom tidy for $15.00/day! Heck, my family is getting away cheap! :D

I wish that the gratuities would be a service charge that is non-removable. If that were done like at hotels, people pay the charge and that's it. I look at tips as part of the cruise charge and I don't worry if I don't eat in the MDR a few nights because I still eat on the ship.

I am not made of money, but I know the crew is paid by the gratuities, so it is something I feel I need to do.

Unless you are eating every single meal in a specialty restaurant - breakfast, lunch, dinner, and any snacks - and never eating in any other venue, you need to leave the auto-tip in place because it covers the servers in the Windjammer and other venues - many of whom ALSO work in the MDRs.

Gratuities are included in the cost of the specialty restaurant.

By the way, to the person who said they don't pay U.S. wages, the minimum wage for waiters, and bartenders is $2.10 in the U.S. Their taxes are based on 15% of their total dinner or bar checks. So much for a living wage without tips.

I might suggest educating yourself on this topic before we have yet another "tipping" thread. "Gratuities" are an essential part of many staff member's wages.

Thanks for reading the thread... I have been trying to educate myself on the topic, but it's difficult to find reputable sources about salary that actually take into account tips. Yes, I know they make a measly hourly rate, as all tip dependent workers do, but I have read articles from actual crew members that their salary is very fair. Enough to support a family and send a son to school on.

In addition, I've read that the supposed money we give as gratuities may not actually be distributed as such. Not sure how reliable this source is, but I found this entirely likely: http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2013/02/articles/crew-member-rights-1/royal-caribbeans-new-tipping-policy-a-money-grab-to-increase-profits/

I would much rather tip my individual staff "under the table" instead of dumping more money into a pool that goes who know where.

The most annoying & repetitious threads are those dealing with this topic and access to top tier lounges.

I hear ya.. I was hoping to add a new perspective in light of how specialty dining is changing the dynamics...

I wish that the gratuities would be a service charge that is non-removable. If that were done like at hotels, people pay the charge and that's it. I look at tips as part of the cruise charge and I don't worry if I don't eat in the MDR a few nights because I still eat on the ship.

I am not made of money, but I know the crew is paid by the gratuities, so it is something I feel I need to do.

Yeah, in a lot of ways I don't disagree... although I despise the "resort fee" that so many hotels charge now. I am not against paying gratuities, I just want them to go to the staff that actually served me, since the concept of a gratuity is based on quality of service received.

However, I've been reading more about this and realize now that with how the tips are "pooled", it's questionable how much of that money goes directly to the crew members anyway..or if it does, it gets distributed to whoever RCL deems to give the best service, not me. I guess if everyone tipped their actual waiters fairly if would be the best of both worlds.

Thanks for reading the thread... I have been trying to educate myself on the topic, but it's difficult to find reputable sources about salary that actually take into account tips. Yes, I know they make a measly hourly rate, as all tip dependent workers do, but I have read articles from actual crew members that their salary is very fair. Enough to support a family and send a son to school on.

In addition, I've read that the supposed money we give as gratuities may not actually be distributed as such. Not sure how reliable this source is, but I found this entirely likely: http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2013/02/articles/crew-member-rights-1/royal-caribbeans-new-tipping-policy-a-money-grab-to-increase-profits/

I would much rather tip my individual staff "under the table" instead of dumping more money into a pool that goes who know where.

If you tip "under the table" and the recipient does not hand over the money they can be dismissed. You really aren't doing anyone a favour by removing the auto tip.

I believe that the tip is included in your Specialty fee.

I also don't want to pay taxes on the tips I leave. If the cruise lines include it in your fare I would have to pay tax on that amount.

You are right, I was mistaken about the specialty fee. And good point about the tax thing.

Yes, I know they make a measly hourly rate, as all tip dependent workers do, but I have read articles from actual crew members that their salary is very fair. Enough to support a family and send a son to school on.

Okay, granted. However in what country would that be? Certainly not the USA, and most other 1st world countries.

"Very fair" is a term that can be very relative.

I always pay the tips beforehand,but don't complain about the small amount of money they get paid. Every single one of them took the job of there own free will. If they don't like what they get paid they can always get a new job

It will never change. You may need to get used to it. I am not going to debate this often-discussed subject. Cruise lines do not pay their staff according to US wage and hour laws. I might suggest educating yourself on this topic before we have yet another "tipping" thread. "Gratuities" are an essential part of many staff member's wages. Yes, you ARE off the mark on this. Cruise ships are not your local restaurant.

No offense intended.

Well actually to an outsider they seem to pay very much according to the American system.

I hear all the time about waiters on land only gettin about $2 an hour plus tips.

Crew on ships get food and board, plus a small base salary.

To many of us outside the USA it sounds like slavery still exists, both in the hospitality industry and on ships.

On my last cruise I did not eat at the MDR or windjammer at all. I felt like I was double tipping by paying auto gratuities plus tipping at the end of my restaurant meals.

I suspect you did eat in the MDR and/or Windjammer for breakfast and lunch. As such, it's right to pay your tips so the staff who took care of you during those meals were paid.

I don't see any point in over-thinking the tipping system. No, I don't think it's a particularly great system, but it's the one that the ships created (and the wait staff agreed to when they signed on), so I don't see any point in trying to recreate the wheel.

If I could get a straight answer to one question -- and I don't think any of us actually know the truth on this one -- I'd like to know whether the specialty dining fee goes to the ship or the wait staff. If I could know the answer to that question, I'd feel more secure in my opinion.

If I could get a straight answer to one question -- and I don't think any of us actually know the truth on this one -- I'd like to know whether the specialty dining fee goes to the ship or the wait staff. If I could know the answer to that question, I'd feel more secure in my opinion.

I know what you mean. I assumed the cover was for higher food quality rather than gratuity, so it seems odd not to tip for the truly excellent service we received at most of the Specialty restaurants. I'm sure the wait staff don't get the entire cover fee. And nope, I didn't eat at MDR ever and Windjammer only the first day for lunch.

Edited by Dianka25