Thank goodness for CC or we still wouldn't know.

shadowmeboy

I leave in two days to sail on the Norwegian Sun Southbound from Seward, AK. We have had 2 itinerary changes in the past week, and no emails from NCL about the changes. The only reason I knew ports had changed was my roll call.

Original

Seward - Hubbard Glacier - Icy Strait Point - Juneau - Skagway - Ketchikan - Sea day - Vancouver BC

Change 1

Seward - Hubbard Glacier - Juneau - Icy Strait Point - Skagway - Ketchikan - Sea Day - Vancouver BC

Change 2

Seward - Hubbard Glacier - Icy Strait Point - Sitka - Juneau - Ketchikan - Sea Day - Vancouver BC

Now no Skagway, and a port I would not have chosen instead of one I wanted to visit. Thanks NCL for the timely communication.

Strange that they dropped that port. Wonder if they had too many ships in that day - does that happen?

We had a fantastic day at Sitka, we saw two nearly grown up grizzly cubs fairly close (eeeek) and in the wild, it was one of the most memorable days of our two Alaskan cruise (both being on NCL Pearl).

We enjoyed both Alaskan cruises port wise, but we were disappointed in our treatment by NCL on our lasy year cruise. However, that being said would cruise with them again if the itin. suited.

Iceland and Norway next yipppeeee.

They sometimes have problems with communication even in the best circumstances (when it's a change that they themselves decide to implement, and they have months to prepare). In this case there are apparently some major issues with your cruise that are unexpected and out of their control, and they are scrambling to find alternatives at very short notice. I think it's a good thing they didn't send out an e-mail to everyone with the first changed itinerary, since they had to change it again a few days later, and who knows it may change again before you board next week, or even while you are on board…

It can be difficult to know how much to communicate in such situations. Here on CC we want to know all the details right away, but providing too much information and sending all passengers multiple messages in quick succession that contradict each other is a mistake. Choosing to communicate nothing is obviously unsatisfactory, too. It sounds like NCL has chosen to communicate with local tour operators, and they give the latest information to guests who call to ask for it. So that's better than nothing, and possibly the best they can do for now.

The fact is that this is an unfortunate situation for everyone (NCL and passengers) and no amount of communication from NCL will make people happy about major itinerary changes less than a week before sailing. Unless the communication includes that magic combination of phrases "full refund", "onboard credit", and "future cruise credit"… :rolleyes:

I'm sorry they have changed your ports. That is very frustrating.

However, I hope you enjoy Sitka. We loved Sitka when we were there two years ago and one of the reasons I chose our cruise was because of the stop in Sitka. It's a beautiful port with unique history. We simply walked around town, toured St. Michael's Cathedral and also made our way to the Pioneer Home and then walked to Castle Hill.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm in the camp of thinking this is a much better itinerary (I'd take Sitka over Skagway every time!), but it's not happening to me and I understand your concern over it. How do people on your roll call know--did NCL contact them?

As a former communications professional, I don't think this is a difficult situation at all. NCL most certainly should have been communicating with their passengers about these changes. It's a shame they don't have a director of communications (or maybe they do and he or she has no clue how to communicate?) who would know how to communicate with stakeholders! Heck, if it included free cruising, I'd consult with them. :D

When you bought your ticket, you agreed to their terms. It clearly states they can change, rearrange, cancel or substitute any port at any time for any reason. Sometimes, they do just that!

Looks like the OP may understand that. His or her complaint appears to be the lack of communication. Even though NCL can make those changes per the contract, it's just good business to tell your customer about it.

When you bought your ticket, you agreed to their terms. It clearly states they can change, rearrange, cancel or substitute any port at any time for any reason. Sometimes, they do just that!

This isn't about that at all but NCL's failure to communicate the change to the passengers. People can spin this anyway they want to but this is a long standing issue with NCL and one that needs to be addressed by corporate because they most certainly can do better.

Their lack of communication of changes has been going on for years and has only gotten worse the last 1.5 years IMO. Typically it takes weeks (3-4) before NCL lets customers or TAs know of the change yet someone on here usually figures it out or hears someway and posts it on here.

I'm in the camp of thinking this is a much better itinerary (I'd take Sitka over Skagway every time!), but it's not happening to me and I understand your concern over it. How do people on your roll call know--did NCL contact them?

As a former communications professional, I don't think this is a difficult situation at all. NCL most certainly should have been communicating with their passengers about these changes. It's a shame they don't have a director of communications (or maybe they do and he or she has no clue how to communicate?) who would know how to communicate with stakeholders! Heck, if it included free cruising, I'd consult with them. :D

No one has said that NCL has contacted them, all communication has come from independent shore excursion operators contacting members of the roll call to let them know about a change in date and/or time of their booked excursions. I have had to call NCL 3x to get a firm answer on what is happening. I knew more than an agent I was talking too (not uncommon).

On Sitka, I have always heard its a good port, its just with the change coming less than 3 days before sail, and some of us in Alaska already, it is not as easy to make quick changes.

I know they have that right. The complaint lies in the lack of communication about the change.

No one has said that NCL has contacted them, all communication has come from independent shore excursion operators contacting members of the roll call to let them know about a change in date and/or time of their booked excursions. I have had to call NCL 3x to get a firm answer on what is happening. I knew more than an agent I was talking too (not uncommon).

On Sitka, I have always heard its a good port, its just with the change coming less than 3 days before sail, and some of us in Alaska already, it is not as easy to make quick changes.

Oh, I totally understand. I would be frustrated, too, and I absolutely love Sitka!But, it would be nice to have time to plan!

If he has availability, you can't go wrong with Captain Davey on the Esther G. His tours are amazing! http://www.puffinsandwhales.com/

You have time, just get on your phone and make some arrangements. http://www.sitka.org

At the least, there is a loop shuttle and worth a stop at the Park Service Museums, if you want a nice walk, get a copy of the Totem guide. The Raptor Center, is worth your admission cost. Very interesting. Plenty more to see and do. Excellent boat tours- you may want to try and see if you can snag a spot, now, since they are limited. the vendor I use, only charters, but worth a try perhaps? Davy Lubin Just excellent if you want to see some puffins and sea otters. Usually see whales as well.

Most people know that. It would just be the considerate thing to do on the part of the cruise line to communicate and let the customer know. Get it?:rolleyes:

They certainly include many "rights" in their ticket contracts, but wouldn't you consider it fair play for the cruiser to have the rights to cancel without penalty if they don't get what they paid for ???

Sitka - highly recommend Sea Otter & Wildlife excursion if it is offered. Two level roomy boat with covered and open areas. Plenty of room. We saw many otters, beautiful scenery and they found whales for us. Excursion starts right by cruise ship and drops you off in town by the free shuttles. We walked along the water through the park and on to the Raptor Center. Walked back to the Totem building and took taxi back to the ship because Larry's leg was bothering him. When we went past the free shuttles line was long and we were happy with taxi choice. I would do this same thing again. Also loved Icy Strait Point, perfect low cost scenic day with whales and eagles right at the port area. Port area is very well done and blends in with the surroundings. We took shuttle to Hoonah and looked around a little and had lunch but don't know that we'd do that again.

I leave in two days to sail on the Norwegian Sun Southbound from Seward, AK. We have had 2 itinerary changes in the past week, and no emails from NCL about the changes. The only reason I knew ports had changed was my roll call.

Original

Seward - Hubbard Glacier - Icy Strait Point - Juneau - Skagway - Ketchikan - Sea day - Vancouver BC

Change 1

Seward - Hubbard Glacier - Juneau - Icy Strait Point - Skagway - Ketchikan - Sea Day - Vancouver BC

Change 2

Seward - Hubbard Glacier - Icy Strait Point - Sitka - Juneau - Ketchikan - Sea Day - Vancouver BC

Now no Skagway, and a port I would not have chosen instead of one I wanted to visit. Thanks NCL for the timely communication.

We get on the Sun as you get off, and saw on your Roll Call about the changes....now I'm a bit concerned about our itinerary also. I'll be ready to cancel excursions and rent cars if needed. Enjoy your trip!

They certainly include many "rights" in their ticket contracts, but wouldn't you consider it fair play for the cruiser to have the rights to cancel without penalty if they don't get what they paid for ???

Nothing about the contract passengers have with NCL is fair.

We get on the Sun as you get off, and saw on your Roll Call about the changes....now I'm a bit concerned about our itinerary also. I'll be ready to cancel excursions and rent cars if needed. Enjoy your trip!

Rental cars aren't easy to get last minute. Also consider other plans and activities, but reviewing what Sitka has to offer. http://www.sitka.org

It's absolutely mind-blowing that anyone could even attempt to defend NCL on this.

NCL has no problem e-mailing four times per month about the latest whiz-bang promotion, but can't communicate an itinerary change?

It's absurd.

I feel most sad for those who are not on cruise critic, who most likely will not be contacted by NCL, and who will get on the ship unawares that any itinerary change has taken place. They will be at the biggest disadvantage here. It's sad that NCL cannot effectively communicate with their paying customers!

That said I echo others statements - Sitka is a wonderful port with a unique Russian and Native heritage, and I hope whatever alternate arrangements you make you enjoy the port to it's fullest!

I am on this sailing as well. I have received more communication from my tour provider than NCL or my TA. My TA forwarded an email to me (after I called them) that they received LAST NIGHT AFTER HOURS, that due to maintenance issues, they have had to swap days, and also change from Skagway to Sitka. Had I not contacted my TA, I don't know if I would have been notified until say Monday -date of sailing.

The communication on these two changes is incredibly lacking. I, too, am already in Alaska. While I appreciate maintenance of the ship, the first rule of customer service is taking care of your customer.

I agree, those people who are not on CC are going to be most unhappy. Sigh.

While these are first world problems, NCL has more ways to Sunday of communicating with us. They haven't even updated their website when I log in, and really, how difficult is that?

It's absolutely mind-blowing that anyone could even attempt to defend NCL on this.

NCL has no problem e-mailing four times per month about the latest whiz-bang promotion, but can't communicate an itinerary change?

It's absurd.

Totally right on with that statement.

Original

Change 1

Change 2

My cruise on Royal was cancelled one month ago. I found out on CC, then I found out the deal we were being offered on CC and still to this day have not received a letter, email or phone call....and it was a 13 night Caribbean Cruise with some very unique ports......than God for CC!!!!!

My cruise on Royal was cancelled one month ago. I found out on CC, then I found out the deal we were being offered on CC and still to this day have not received a letter, email or phone call....and it was a 13 night Caribbean Cruise with some very unique ports......than God for CC!!!!!

Well of course you must be mistaken!!;) Only NCL has communication issues. Can anyone imagine the uproar if they had sent out all three changes one after another, the same few would be nailing NCL for sending multiple message in one week. Cruise lines make changes, sometimes the word gets around, and other times it does not. The length of the cruise did not change, some ports did, contract fulfilled. At least some know in advance of the changes, not like missing a port after you're on the ship.