Dress code on Alaska cruise

SPNJHockey

Our question relates to the evening dress code on the Alaska cruises. We are coming from the East Coast and wish to keep our luggage to a minimum for the ten day Alaskan cruise in late August 2017. What are the evening dress codes with relation to formal/informal nights? Thank you for any input.

I agree with this. I've been to Alaska on Carnival where you can get away with jeans on non-formal nights and "church clothes" on formal nights. I don't think you're going to be on that line, though.

That's actually pretty much the dress code on every mass market cruise line these days. It's not "getting away" with anything, that's just the way it is. Holland, Celebrity, Carnival, NCL don't even have "formal" nights anymore.

Edited by LMaxwell

Our question relates to the evening dress code on the Alaska cruises. We are coming from the East Coast and wish to keep our luggage to a minimum for the ten day Alaskan cruise in late August 2017. What are the evening dress codes with relation to formal/informal nights? Thank you for any input.

Which cruise line? Some, such as NCL, have no formal nights so no dress jacket for men is needed. Some, such as HAL's "gala" night require a jacket.

It's best to either go to the forum for your cruise line and ask the question, or go to the cruise line's site and usually in faq or 'know before you go' will be info about dress codes for that cruise line.

Which cruise line? Some, such as NCL, have no formal nights so no dress jacket for men is needed. Some, such as HAL's "gala" night require a jacket.

It's best to either go to the forum for your cruise line and ask the question, or go to the cruise line's site and usually in faq or 'know before you go' will be info about dress codes for that cruise line.

A jacket 100% is not required on Hal. You may have outdated info

A jacket 100% is not required on Hal. You may have outdated info

In reading the HAL board, recently on Gala night an MDR host told a guest's husband he needed a jacket and offered to loan him one.

In reading the HAL board, recently on Gala night an MDR host told a guest's husband he needed a jacket and offered to loan him one.

Pages 7 and 8. http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/KBYG.pdf

Even before Gala night no jacket was required for formal night. They only ask for collared shirts/pants.

If you don't want to take my word or Holland's link, please feel free to ring up Holland America and ask. They will say no jacket required.

We should be verifying the information we give OP.

Edit: Further from the HAL website

Q: Are a jacket and tie required for men?

A: Jacket and tie is the preferred attire in all fine dining restaurants on Gala Nights, though it is not required. Guests without a jacket and tie were allowed in the fine dining restaurants before the new wording so this is not a policy change.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Cruise+Preparation&contentMenu=Baggage,+Packing+%26+Dress+Code&contentSubMenu=Is+There+A+Dress+Code?

Edited by LMaxwell

Pages 7 and 8. http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/KBYG.pdf

Even before Gala night no jacket was required for formal night. They only ask for collared shirts/pants.

If you don't want to take my word or Holland's link, please feel free to ring up Holland America and ask. They will say no jacket required.

A: Jacket and tie is the preferred attire in all fine dining restaurants on Gala Nights, though it is not required. Guests without a jacket and tie were allowed in the fine dining restaurants before the new wording so this is not a policy change.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Cruise+Preparation&contentMenu=Baggage,+Packing+%26+Dress+Code&contentSubMenu=Is+There+A+Dress+Code?

Jacket and tie are PREFERRED. On our HAL cruises, the vast majority of men were wearing a jacket and tie. You can always wear a blazer onto the plane, then have the attendant hang it up for you during the flight. You can "get away" with less than a jacket and tie but you will be in the minority.

Jacket and tie are PREFERRED. On our HAL cruises, the vast majority of men were wearing a jacket and tie. You can always wear a blazer onto the plane, then have the attendant hang it up for you during the flight. You can "get away" with less than a jacket and tie but you will be in the minority.

I was responding to the poster that said a jacket was required. So I responded showing them it is not required. Not wearing a jacket is not "getting away" with anything. It is within the dress code.

Please, let's give OP accurate, factual information.

Just off Holland Nieuw Amsterdam in Alaska.

We packed a jacket, ties for husband. Very nice clothes for me. First formal night, we were very over dressed. In the Pinnacle Grill, less than half wore jackets. And the Canaletto Italian restaurant again, less than half. Nice slacks and collared shirt for him. Nice slacks, dress for her. Most guys didn't even have on a tie.

One night my dad decided last minute to eat in the Pinnacle. He had jeans and suspenders, but a nice button up shirt. I had to laugh, but there was no problems.

Read what Holland recommends. And don't bring that jacket. You'll regret packing it.

As you can see from the responses above this can be a touchy subject. You need to check on the board for the line you plan to be sailing. They are all slightly different.

I believe you. I was simply stating what happened to the husband of a passenger at MDR on HAL. Evidently the host was enforcing the 'preferred attire', somehow not realizing it was not required.

Sure, if you are flying First/Business, a FA MAY take your jacket and hang it in the very tiny closet. If you are flying Greyhound class (like the majority here), you will likely have to put it in the overhead and hope some idiot doesn't mash it with their worldly possessions ;)

If the line posts as "suggestions", then it is not a requirement. Do what you are comfortable with doing.