Limit to amount of luggage?

Chocolate Rose

I find any specifics on if there is a limit to the amount of luggage you can take onto a ship. The only reference on the HAL site that I've found is that you could be limited by the airlines. I'm not flying so no airline is involved with my trip. Can anyone tell me if the cruise lines limit the amount of luggage you can take.

Also, what is considered "carry on". Is there a size limit to it?

I find any specifics on if there is a limit to the amount of luggage you can take onto a ship. The only reference on the HAL site that I've found is that you could be limited by the airlines. I'm not flying so no airline is involved with my trip. Can anyone tell me if the cruise lines limit the amount of luggage you can take.

As far as I know there is no limit imposed by the cruiseline. The only issue you might have is where to store your empty cases during the cruise. Two large cases will easily fit under the bed. We always put our carry on cases inside the large cases before we put them under the bed.

A carry on is the size of case that most of the airlines allow you to carry on into the cabin. As far as the cruise ship goes, what you carry on has to fit through the scanner, just like in an airport.

Your carryon bags must fit through the same size security scanner as at the airport, although it can be longer. You can take any amount of larger bags which you have to check, but they prefer they each not weigh more than 50lbs, to save the backs of the stevedores and stewards. Keep in mind that all luggage is usually stored under your beds, or elsewhere in the cabin. EM

Some cruise lines request that checked luggage not exceed 40 lbs others say 70 lbs.

Thanks for the replies!

I think I'll be fine, then. Although I haven't flown so have no idea what size fits through the scanner. :-)

An average carry on size is about 9 inches deep, 22 inches long and 15 inches wide.

Usually,, the limit is 200LBS PER PERSON...if you need that much stuff, there is something majorly wrong with you!

You are really only limited by the airlines. If you aren't flying...the sky's the limit! Bring the kitchen sink!

Usually,, the limit is 200LBS PER PERSON...if you need that much stuff, there is something majorly wrong with you!

You are really only limited by the airlines. If you aren't flying...the sky's the limit! Bring the kitchen sink!

Ha Ha!! Ok, I'll relax now. No kitchen sink is coming with me.

Ha Ha!! Ok, I'll relax now. No kitchen sink is coming with me.

Don't laugh just yet. Look at all the conflicting info you've gotten here.

Read your contract with the cruise line. It should spell out any weight and/or size restrictions. If not, check with your TA and then confirm what you are told by calling the cruise line directly (several times to assure that you are getting accurate information).

As for "fitting through airport sized scanners", remember that airports have two different scanners. There's a carry-on scanner at your gate entry area and separate larger scanners for checked baggage (which may be visible to you or not depending on the airport). I mention this because, whatever luggage you buy for future travel, appropriate pieces should not exceed each category's maximum size or weight limitations. (Also know that outside of the US domestic market, carry-on size/weight is further restricted).

Last points:

Your largest case should also be able to fit under the cabin bed (may need to keep top open and folded back). this will be a max of 28"-29" +\- depending on the manufacturer.

Don't buy cheap luggage (especially items with spinners - if you read the fine print on the spinner housings, it says "please break me off while handling.")

Look at something like the Travelpro line: initial dollar outlay may be high (but occasionally on sale). However, they're guaranteed for life with repair facilities in many major cities.

Don't laugh just yet. Look at all the conflicting info you've gotten here.

Read your contract with the cruise line. It should spell out any weight and/or size restrictions. If not, check with your TA and then confirm what you are told by calling the cruise line directly (several times to assure that you are getting accurate information). ...

Thanks!! I've got time to do some research, so all of the info shared has been helpful. I haven't flown so have no experience with airport scanners. This is all totally new to me.

Thanks!! I've got time to do some research, so all of the info shared has been helpful. I haven't flown so have no experience with airport scanners. This is all totally new to me.

First, don't worry. When you arrive at your ship, there will be someone there to take your bags and transport them aboard. Second, If you want to keep some of your things with you (as is often recommended for big-dollar items like jewelry or indispensable items like medications) then you hold onto those items. Presumably in a "carry-on" suitcase. But you are free to use a tote bag or a roller cooler or whatever. Third, go to your local Target or other good store, or go online to TravelSmith or Magellans. Many smaller suitcases you see will be annotated as TSA check-in approved or some such. There you can see what size is usually considered carryon.

When it comes to HAL (we have cruised about 450 days on that line) there are no limits on luggage, other then you ability to get it all to the port. We have actually seen folks using their own hand carts to haul their luggage into the terminal for longer HAL cruises. Just keep in mind, that unless you are in a suite there is only a limited amount of storage in the cabin :). HAL also has excellent onboard laundry service which will usually have anything back in 1 day.

Hank

Your carryon bags must fit through the same size security scanner as at the airport, although it can be longer.
They might be larger although it would be hard to tell in advance of your first time boarding. I usually embark in Brooklyn and the scanners there have a very tall opening that permits me to place a wheeled tote on the belt upright. The tote is around 18 inches tall with the handle collapsed.

First, don't worry. When you arrive at your ship, there will be someone there to take your bags and transport them aboard. Second, If you want to keep some of your things with you (as is often recommended for big-dollar items like jewelry or indispensable items like medications) then you hold onto those items. Presumably in a "carry-on" suitcase. But you are free to use a tote bag or a roller cooler or whatever. Third, go to your local Target or other good store, or go online to TravelSmith or Magellans. Many smaller suitcases you see will be annotated as TSA check-in approved or some such. There you can see what size is usually considered carryon.

Great info and suggestions! Thank you!!

When it comes to HAL (we have cruised about 450 days on that line) there are no limits on luggage, other then you ability to get it all to the port. We have actually seen folks using their own hand carts to haul their luggage into the terminal for longer HAL cruises. Just keep in mind, that unless you are in a suite there is only a limited amount of storage in the cabin :). HAL also has excellent onboard laundry service which will usually have anything back in 1 day.

Hank

Yay!! This was the impression I had from their website but wanted to be sure. We do have a suite. :-) I'm not planning on taking a ton of luggage, but wanted to be sure I wouldn't have to leave anything behind at the dock.

They might be larger although it would be hard to tell in advance of your first time boarding. I usually embark in Brooklyn and the scanners there have a very tall opening that permits me to place a wheeled tote on the belt upright. The tote is around 18 inches tall with the handle collapsed.

Thank you!

Though you can bring as much as you like do you really want to bring all that stuff with you? If you are gone for a week you don't need much. If in the Caribbean you could end up wear shorts, t-shirt, swimwear and not much else.

I've done many a cruise with only hand luggage. Also with more. Just back from Alaska and I had about 40lb (23kg) total and still didn't wear a large amount of it.

Even if driving to the port you still have to get it from the car to the porters. At this stage I hate lugging cases behind me.

See below for luggage to Alaska.

Have fun anyway.

1467131002021.jpg.6ddf647d29fdf8b365ec1109362d15b1.jpg

Though you can bring as much as you like do you really want to bring all that stuff with you? If you are gone for a week you don't need much. If in the Caribbean you could end up wear shorts, t-shirt, swimwear and not much else.

I've done many a cruise with only hand luggage. Also with more. Just back from Alaska and I had about 40lb (23kg) total and still didn't wear a large amount of it.

Even if driving to the port you still have to get it from the car to the porters. At this stage I hate lugging cases behind me.

See below for luggage to Alaska.

Have fun anyway.

I'm doing two weeks in Alaska. I don't intend to take a ton of stuff, but I want to be sure I can take everything I want to take. I'm planning on one piece of luggage for a case of water and the pop that I drink (not available on board and probably not available in ports, either). Just trying to be prepared. Thanks for your response!