Sanctuary Questions

Michelle19

I was very curious about just a few things on the Sanctuary. We were seriously considering get it for full days for our trip to Hawaii on the Star.

Is the price 40 pp? Or does that include both DH and myself?

If we did half a day, do you get to choose morning or afternoon if available? What hours are the half day?

The weather can be tricky crossing over to Hawaii, has anyone thought it was really great and worth it?

Thanks so much!

I was very curious about just a few things on the Sanctuary. We were seriously considering get it for full days for our trip to Hawaii on the Star.

If we did half a day, do you get to choose morning or afternoon if available? What hours are the half day?

The weather can be tricky crossing over to Hawaii, has anyone thought it was really great and worth it?

Thanks so much!

Pricing is per person in the sanctuary, $40 pp full day, $20pp half day, or $30 pp if booked for the entire sailing. Half day hours are 8-12 or 1-5 (I think. I may be off by an hour or so, but you get rhe idea) You can pick morning or afternoon based on which you prefer, and what's available... Personally, I don't find the Sanctuary worth it to me at all, while others seem to really enjoy it and it's what they look forward to. Only you know whether it's something worth it for you.. Happy sails.

Price is pp, you can choose am/pm.

I'll let others fill in the other details, but I can answer the "worth it?" question. I was really looking forward to the Sanctuary on our Hawaii cruise two years ago. Ran straight up and booked for the entire cruise. Big mistake. The ocean crossing was freezing, there and back. As for the port days, well we got off the boat while in Hawaii, duh. Blew $1k for the privilege of using our loungers twice. And both times we forced ourselves to go.

Our trip was in April, ymmv. Enjoy your cruise!

I think Princess has a special price if you book for the total cruise. But the price is $40.00 PP per day.

Tony

Yes, the discount is noted above. $30pp if booked for entire cruise...$20 pp for half day, $40 full fay if bought in a day by day basis..

Price is pp, you can choose am/pm.

I'll let others fill in the other details, but I can answer the "worth it?" question. I was really looking forward to the Sanctuary on our Hawaii cruise two years ago. Ran straight up and booked for the entire cruise. Big mistake. The ocean crossing was freezing, there and back. As for the port days, well we got off the boat while in Hawaii, duh. Blew $1k for the privilege of using our loungers twice. And both times we forced ourselves to go.

Our trip was in April, ymmv. Enjoy your cruise!

Hmmmm, yes, I was worried about this.. The crossing can be terrible. Thank you so much for your thoughts. It really helps and means a lot to me. :)

Thanks so much!

$40 pp and yes you can choose 1/2 day. We were going to book it and a very nice lady from the sanctuary told us the weather was not very good and she was right, so we saved $$$.

In my experience (3 cruises to HI at various times) it may not be worth buying the whole cruise due to often cold weather on the sea days. Rather there are padded loungers by the Lotus Spa Pool that turn over fast enough for you to get some sun, hot tub, and pool time in. On the Star the Thermal Suite is right there too and that is worth more to us than Sanctuary.

We've cruised a dozen times out of LA and have not seen the Sanctuary close to sold out. But if you find a warm day you'd like to chill, there should be plenty of room.

We were on the Star Feb 2016 and found the Sanctuary O.K. as part of the spa treatments. On the last port day in Santiago all beds, steam showers and facilities were not working which was a huge disappointment. I would book it a day at a time.

We were on the Star Feb 2016 and found the Sanctuary O.K. as part of the spa treatments. On the last port day in Santiago all beds, steam showers and facilities were not working which was a huge disappointment. I would book it a day at a time.

I think you may have the Thermal Suite and Sanctuary mixed up. The Sanctuary is a part of the forward upper deck with reserved loungers, lounge service of afternoon tea and snacks, adult only, etc. The Thermal Suite is part of the spa with heated loungers, steam and sauna rooms..two completely separate areas, not related to each other.

We booked every sea day for the afternoon (1-5) on our Dec/jan 2015/16, 31-day trip from LA to Rio on the Star. Many days, we were the only people there--with four amazing attendants we got to know VERY well. It was like being on our own private yacht. Our most memorable day? Hail! The attendants let us bundle up in blankets and we had a blast. We book interiors to justify the cost.

We like afternoons as we generally order lunch there AND the afternoon tea is a special treat. They have headphones and a delightful music mix if you don't have your own. We like the lounges that offer an unobstructed view of the ocean.

If the weather is iffy, I would consider booking day by day. But we are absolute fans of the service and solitude and sheer luxury of the Sanctuary. And if I lose a few dollars on bad weather days, c'est la vie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

In my experience (3 cruises to HI at various times) it may not be worth buying the whole cruise due to often cold weather on the sea days. Rather there are padded loungers by the Lotus Spa Pool that turn over fast enough for you to get some sun, hot tub, and pool time in. On the Star the Thermal Suite is right there too and that is worth more to us than Sanctuary.

We've cruised a dozen times out of LA and have not seen the Sanctuary close to sold out. But if you find a warm day you'd like to chill, there should be plenty of room.

Great Advice. This is what I think we will do.. Thank you!

To clarify, you cannot even use only the pool unless you pay, correct?? I realize, as stated previously, there are fees if you want to ensure you have a lounge chair reserved. Is there another area with a pool that is not in the sun? If so, is there a charge to use it?

To clarify, you cannot even use only the pool unless you pay, correct?? I realize, as stated previously, there are fees if you want to ensure you have a lounge chair reserved. Is there another area with a pool that is not in the sun? If so, is there a charge to use it?

There is no pool areas on any Princess ship that costs money. Any of the pools that are near the Sanctuary areas are not part of the Sanctuary, there is no charge at all.

Various other areas of the different pool decks have shade, it depends on the ship, etc. You may have to move around to find it, unlike being in the Sanctuary where you can book a guarantee chair in shade, although even those can have sun depending on time of day, sailing direction, etc.....

Edited by reedprincess

There is no pool areas on any Princess ship that costs money. Any of the pools that are near the Sanctuary areas are not part of the Sanctuary, there is no charge at all.

Various other areas of the different pool decks have shade, it depends on the ship, etc. You may have to move around to find it, unlike being in the Sanctuary where you can book a guarantee chair in shade, although even those can have sun depending on time of day, sailing direction, etc.....

There is no pool in the Sanctuary....it is outside of it and anyone can use it.
The information is correct for the Star and most Princess ships. However, on the Coral there is a splash pool only accessible from inside the Sanctuary.

The information is correct for the Star and most Princess ships. However, on the Coral there is a splash pool only accessible from inside the Sanctuary.

Sun, Sea and Dawn also have splash pools inside the Sanctuary. Maximum depth 25cm (10"). You can get wet in them if you are determined enough. :D

WOW! In 2009 we paid $15/pp/pd for the Sanctuary on the Ruby Princess. Well worth it at $15....maybe $25, but I would NOT pay $40.

Indeed. I found that to be quite high as well. I wasn't even aware it was that much. Has the service changed? Gotten better? Much better? I guess its worth it to some, not to others. I appreciate the input here. It does help. :)

Indeed. I found that to be quite high as well. I wasn't even aware it was that much. Has the service changed? Gotten better? Much better? I guess its worth it to some, not to others. I appreciate the input here. It does help. :)

It is a case of supply and demand; Princess will charge what the market will tolerate.

Thanks so much!

For a full day the price is $40PP. You get a fantastic lounger. Do ask to have a lounger in a more sheltered area(go there when you board!)If not, it can be extremely windy & hot!(using the Regal as our example)You get a nice lunch & tea service in the afternoon. A most relaxing way to spend a sea day. We thought it was worth it.

On one of our cruises on the Crown, we went to look at the Sanctuary, the attendant told us there is no charge after 5:00pm, anyone can use it at that time.

However the sunloungers and chairs will be under waterproof covers, the tables will have had the glass tops removed, and the entrance gates may be locked.

However the sunloungers and chairs will be under waterproof covers, the tables will have had the glass tops removed, and the entrance gates may be locked.

Good to know. I guess you can't really use it after 5:00pm.:eek:

On the ships I've been on so far it officially closed at 5:30pm, however on our last cruise, on Golden, the stewards were happy to let us stay there until well after 6pm on a couple of occasions.

We love relaxing in the Sanctuary and would rather book an inside cabin and pay the extra for the Sanctuary, than book a balcony cabin.