Short Princess cruises

LaFrimaire

We've had both extremes on the short Princess cruises out of LA. Convalescent home quiet and way more rambunctious than any of our short Carnival cruises from Long Beach.

The short midweek cruises will be less party, especially when schools and colleges are in session.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

It might depend on season of the year. The January/February cruises are when most schools and colleges are in session and are definitely not the Carnival type of booze cruise. There are often a lot of B2B peeps. 3 night is definitely too short. I'd suggest you try 4 if you are only booking one cruise.

If you have a friend who has cruised Princess, have them do a "referral" on you. Each member of your party will get a $25 onboard credit and the friend will get $25 for each person she referred on her next cruise.

I'm thinking of trying a Princess cruise and wonder what the atmosphere is like on the 3-4 day cruises, specifically Coastal California or Baja. Is it fairly mellow or more party- like? TIA.

We have done short cruises on Princess during Jan/Feb. Not our choice for a cruise . You really won't get the feel for proper Princess cruise . The staff are very tired and some activities (Champagne Waterfall) are missed . If can do a 7 to 10 day cruise from LA or San Francisco.

We have done short cruises on Princess during Jan/Feb. Not our choice for a cruise . You really won't get the feel for proper Princess cruise . The staff are very tired and some activities (Champagne Waterfall) are missed . If can do a 7 to 10 day cruise from LA or San Francisco.

Why this advice?

Contrary to you, many people cannot do the 7 day cruises, much less 10, for a variety of reasons, one of which is taking time off from work.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with those cruises, except they're too short! But then, following r me, 10 days would still be too short!

To the OP, go for it.

Why this advice?

Contrary to you, many people cannot do the 7 day cruises, much less 10, for a variety of reasons, one of which is taking time off from work.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with those cruises, except they're too short! But then, following r me, 10 days would still be too short!

To the OP, go for it.

YES !!! If this is what you can manage, go for it! A mid week short cruise may be more laid back than a 3 day weekend one. Enjoy whichever one you pick!

We took two of these, back to back, in October 2014 out of L.A., first a four-day, then a three-day.

The four-day weekday cruise was clearly more mellow, an older crowd and more of a Princess atmosphere. The three-day that followed was over a weekend and had more kids and a younger, livelier crowd.

I preferred the four-day, not because the shorter one was too party-like, but because everyone seemed in a hurry and impatient, like they were trying to cram a week's worth of vacation into three days.

Oddly enough, the four-day cruises are often cheaper than the three-days (or at worst, the same price), I guess because of the weekend.

In short, I'd recommend the four-day cruises out of L.A. The shorter ones don't give you much of a Princess experience.

Jim

Took the 7-day California Coastal last year and doing it again in October. It was calming and relaxing. More sophisticated than Carnival. The shows are wonderful, didn't see the comedy show. I can't wait till October, which will be my first Halloween cruise on Princess

A CRUISE A YEAR KEEPS ME IN GEAR

We have done mostly 3 or 4 day repositioning cruises between LA and Vancouver and love them. Short enough that I can sneak a day off work and be OK and long enough to get my fix. Longer cruises are great but the short ones are more manageable for now. And with more LA round trips available with Santa Barbara as a stop, life is great as no need for airfare.

We've done four 7-day Alaska cruises, plus a 4-day "Alaska Sampler" and a 1-day repositioning Seattle->Vancouver. Both of the shorter cruises had a distinctly different feel to them. The 4-day seemed to favor one demographic, which brought with it lots of people stopping in hallways EVERYWHERE (and almost getting plowed over, in many cases), along with lots of line cutting. The 1-nighter was a mix of people trying out life on a cruise ship plus people looking for cruise "points" (admittedly, that was our primary intent as well). Some of the point collectors blend into the woodwork, others seemed to "take over the ship" making it their personal party. Service, MDR in particular, just wasn't as good IMHO for either of these cruises. So, if you do try a shorter cruise, take it with a grain of salt; service is often better on the longer cruises.

I'm thinking of trying a Princess cruise and wonder what the atmosphere is like on the 3-4 day cruises, specifically Coastal California or Baja. Is it fairly mellow or more party- like? TIA.

I've seen both. I guess it depends on the cruise. We've done several of the short Princess cruises, and some Carnival ones, too, since we can drive to the ports in LA. The only difference I think I've noticed is whether the cruise covers a weekend or not. There are more "lively" types on those. :)

I had always avoided the shorter cruises, and decided to try a three nighter two years ago. To our surpruse, we enjoyed it, and booked a four nighter the next year. Both were the first week of January. It was the same as comparing a weekend away on land to a one-two week vacation. Getting away is fun, no matter how long or short. No, you don't get the full cruise experience (whatever that is), but you do get a nice break from your daily routine. No cooking, no laundry, and lots of entertainment.

Why this advice?

To the OP, go for it.

Short Princess cruises tend to be booze cruises on the 5 i have been on.

Personally not a fan of short cruises.

I don't mind them as I can get a feel for the MDR and specialty restaurants, cabin standard etc. I know that this is not the 'full' cruise experience but i can get an idea of whether I like the ship or not. If so. I will book something longer, if not then I won't waste my money. That's why I'm glad I did the short Princess ones in Australia. Apart from Golden, I wouldn't want to spend any length of time on either Sun or Dawn, though would look at something short maybe.

I agree that cruises over the weekend can be a bit of a party/booze cruise, especially if they start and end in the same port. Have never found that with Princess though as most of their short ones don't do this. RCI is another matter!

Why this advice?

To the OP, go for it.

Many Princess four day cruises are mid week or start on a Thursday ending on a Monday.If your 4 day starts on a Monday your back thursday. Meaning a 7 day is only one extra day off work.

They usually have only one sea day and the rest are port days. You really don't get a feel of what Princess is like on sea days.

I've taken several 4-5 day cruises out of San Pedro as well as a 2-day out of Vancouver both mid-week and weekend. They were not "booze cruises" by a long shot. Lots of families, younger passengers. A lot of Platinum cruisers looking to get to Elite. They aren't the typical Princess cruises but for a getaway, they were very nice.

If that's all the time you can take, go for it! BTW, I really enjoyed the 5-day R/T to Cabo. That was more like a typical Princess cruise than the 4-dsy cruises.

I've taken several 4-5 day cruises out of San Pedro as well as a 2-day out of Vancouver both mid-week and weekend. They were not "booze cruises" by a long shot. Lots of families, younger passengers. A lot of Platinum cruisers looking to get to Elite. They aren't the typical Princess cruises but for a getaway, they were very nice.

If that's all the time you can take, go for it! BTW, I really enjoyed the 5-day R/T to Cabo. That was more like a typical Princess cruise than the 4-dsy cruises.

I agree with Pam..:)

We are actually booked on a 4 dayer in Mar 2017, which goes to Catalina and Ensenada.

We have taken these shorties on several lines. Even though we have been to these ports many times, we like to get away and relax.

I took 1 3 dayer, and prefer the 4 dayers. Just when you get into the swing of things, it's over.

Patti

Short Princess cruises tend to be booze cruises on the 5 i have been on.

Don't agree with this at all. While any cruise can have cruisers on it that drink too much, I have never been on a 3 or 4 day Princess cruise that even came close to some of the weekend Carnival cruises out of Long Beach I have been on - not to say it could not happen, but on our shorter Princess cruises there has been a much more "family friendly" feel to them than on Carnival.

I have found the best service on the shorter cruises has been on the Repo cruises that have had 3 sea days and a port day, but the round trips out of San Pedro have had great service, too, we just did not interact with the staff as much.

I just don't think you can really predict what the overall demographics will be for a specific sailing date; however, I really don't think Princess is going to attract a party hardy crowd like the weekend Carnival booz cruises. The atmosphere & decor is not conductive to a rowdy party crowd. I went on a weekend cruise out of LA on RCI (a long while ago) I don't remember the crowd as being too crazy as there were all types of people. Sure, being a short cruise people are going to try to get as much out of the cruise but I won't worry too much. Now, if on the other hand you want more of a younger party crowd then you should go on Carnival.

DH and I took our first cruise in 20 years on Disney Cruise Lines. It was a 4 night cruise in the Bahamas.

I felt that I got a taste of cruising however I know we missed a lot as we were "new" to cruising and were in such awe of the ship.

OP - I don't know what you are exactly looking for however I have to agree that to get a feel of a cruise company, 3 -4 days really isn't enough.

I'm trying to get the family to do the 5 day to Cabo. Daughter's in-laws have not ever cruised and I think it would be perfect for them.

DD & SIL did their first cruise on NCL for a 7 days. They came back exhausted as they tried as much as they could on and off the ship. LOL!! :eek:

Whatever you decision is, I do hope its a wonderful experience~

We've taken five shorter cruises on Princess. We did two sets back to back--two 4-day cruises once and a 3-day followed by a 4-day the other time. The fifth shortie was a 5-day cruise.

People are more interested in partying and trying to pack every cruise experience in a shorter time. On our last 4-day cruise, the specialty restaurants were fully booked by the end of the first afternoon.