Children in the Diamond Lounge?

I cannot believe that people pick a family friendly line and then complain about the children. All of you know Royal Caribbean's policies regarding children free venues. So why, if you are trying to get away from the little ones are you cruising with Royal Caribbean???

Granted it is a family friendly line. We all know that. But it is delusional to ignore the big share of adults traveling without children, who don't hate kids, but do appreciate some time away from them on occasion. It is not at all unreasonable for adults to want a child free venue on board. Other lines, including Disney have them. Even parents who bring their kids along often want time away from kids, or there would be no kids clubs and sitting services. Children could just hang out with Mom&Dad 24/7. Many leave their kids home with the grandparents or travel with the grandparents because they NEED some adult time to stay sane. All these people should not sail RCI??? RCI does not also want their business? You know they do.

What is unreasonable is to expect virtually every venue to cater to what you personally want in a cruise line. Why is it unreasonable to expect venues that cater to both audiences? Some places can allow kids only, some allow adults only , and some allow a mix. That would still be a 'family friendly environment'. Family friendly does not have to mean kids can go anywhere. If a lounge was designated adult only, would RCI suddenly not be considered family friendly?

Am I the only one who is tired of the often repeated knee jerk reaction, basically telling people they should be cruising elsewhere if they don't like one particular rule. That is not real world and I get tired of that response to virtually every post wanting to change something. This forum is here specifically to have a place to discuss, not dismiss things like this. If the policy were changed back and you posted that you preferred it when kids were allowed in the DL, that would be your right. I may not agree with you, but I would respect your opinion and would not tell you to just get off my boat.

There are thousands of people on board, so it is reasonable to expect RCI to at least try to cater to the wide variety of interests and likes, and not just have one demographic dictate every decision at the expense of a significant number of others.

I've never been in a DL and only in the CL once as an invited guest by the Concierge, but I have read so many threads/posts that these places are so packed that many Diamonds are required to use an 'overflow' area. Perhaps if the kids were removed in these situations, it would help and when the crowds aren't around, the kids are permitted.

Simply put, while it's nice to spend time w/ the kids or grandkids...

LOUNGES are for adult activities & adults should have the priority of availability before kids.

Granted it is a family friendly line. We all know that. But it is delusional to ignore the big share of adults traveling without children, who don't hate kids, but do appreciate some time away from them on occasion. It is not at all unreasonable for adults to want a child free venue on board. Other lines, including Disney have them. Even parents who bring their kids along often want time away from kids, or there would be no kids clubs and sitting services. Children could just hang out with Mom&Dad 24/7. Many leave their kids home with the grandparents or travel with the grandparents because they NEED some adult time to stay sane. All these people should not sail RCI??? RCI does not also want their business? You know they do.

What is unreasonable is to expect virtually every venue to cater to what you personally want in a cruise line. Why is it unreasonable to expect venues that cater to both audiences? Some places can allow kids only, some allow adults only , and some allow a mix. That would still be a 'family friendly environment'. Family friendly does not have to mean kids can go anywhere. If a lounge was designated adult only, would RCI suddenly not be considered family friendly?

Am I the only one who is tired of the often repeated knee jerk reaction, basically telling people they should be cruising elsewhere if they don't like one particular rule. That is not real world and I get tired of that response to virtually every post wanting to change something. This forum is here specifically to have a place to discuss, not dismiss things like this. If the policy were changed back and you posted that you preferred it when kids were allowed in the DL, that would be your right. I may not agree with you, but I would respect your opinion and would not tell you to just get off my boat.

There are thousands of people on board, so it is reasonable to expect RCI to at least try to cater to the wide variety of interests and likes, and not just have one demographic dictate every decision at the expense of a significant number of others.

You have a right to post your opinion. But if the children are that bothersome, why not make your point very clear to Royal Caribbean and go on a line that provides the venues you want. Why should Royal Caribbean change when the people complaining continue book anyway?

Personally I wouldn't care if a lounge is child free or not. Children add a little extra energy to a cruise. Something I noticed (or more precisely I noticed the lack there of) on a Carnival cruise that was almost completely devoid of children.

I guess I should add that I don't get bothered by children. For example, people in the pool complaining that they are getting splashed. If you don't want to get wet, what are you doing in the pool? Me, I squirt them back. I can squirt water from between my hands. This is a skill that takes some practice and thus they can't get me back (I can squirt farther than they can splash).

Why is it that Royal Caribbean does not have an adult only venue while Disney does??? I don't know. "All these people should not sail RCI??? RCI does not also want their business? You know they do." You say that, yet you also point out that Royal Caribbean does nothing for them. So from my point of view, your statement is a contradiction. We want you but we are not going to do anything for you does not make sense (to me).

"What is unreasonable is to expect virtually every venue to cater to what you personally want in a cruise line. Why is it unreasonable to expect venues that cater to both audiences? Some places can allow kids only, some allow adults only , and some allow a mix. That would still be a 'family friendly environment'. Family friendly does not have to mean kids can go anywhere. If a lounge was designated adult only, would RCI suddenly not be considered family friendly?" What you say is reasonable, so how come Royal Caribbean hasn't done it. In my mind there are only two possibilities:

1) Your assumption about Royal Caribbean is wrong

2) Since adults looking to get away from kids still book, Royal Caribbean has no incentive to change anything.

Royal Caribbean has made some changes and backed off when people made it clear that they did not like the changes. The same thing happened on NCL.

Royal Caribbean has made some changes that I don't like. From 2012 through 2016 I always had a future Royal Caribbean cruise booked. I'm D+ on Royal Caribbean. However, after my last Royal Caribbean cruise (earlier this year) I have three cruises booked. For the first time since 2011 none are on Royal Caribbean. I can think of at least six other cruises I want to take that does not involve Royal Caribbean. When some of the nonsense at Royal Caribbean stops (fake sales, unusable website, IT glitches that I am beginning to think are not really "glitches" ...) I'll be back. Until then, there are other cruise lines to explore (two I've been on, three that I have not been on yet).

If you want to make a point, you are going to have to do it in a way that Royal Caribbean understands.

I've never been in a DL and only in the CL once as an invited guest by the Concierge, but I have read so many threads/posts that these places are so packed that many Diamonds are required to use an 'overflow' area. Perhaps if the kids were removed in these situations, it would help and when the crowds aren't around, the kids are permitted.

LOUNGES are for adult activities & adults should have the priority of availability before kids.

Invitation to the DL and the SL are earned by status. When someone, of whatever age, obtains that status, they should be allowed to enjoy the perks that they have earned.

Children can be in a lounge when people are served drinks, both at sea and on land. So the fact that people are drinking does not make it "an adult" activity.

I would rather have well behaved kids than dogs in the DL... Seeing more of that lately...

If the dogs are TRUE service NO problem, but TOO many are not, just some one who, CHEATS, and cannot leave Fido at home. Many kids, now days, are D or D+ and even Pinnacle, yes I have met some. Maybe the tiered kids should be allowed, hard to deny that, but kids take up seats, for TRUE tiered cruisers. RC has created a big issue with their loyalty program and any rule is hard to enforce by the Concierge with out a lot of flack and threats from entitled cruisers.

Guest maddycat

Thank you for this excellent post. I appreciate your posting what I have been thinking but could not express as well as you did.

You are on a family friendly line, and everyone knows the children are allowed in the solarium on the Alaskan cruises.

I was on a less friendly Alaskan cruise in 1999 and there were only about half a dozen kids on the ship, one of which was my then 14 month old nephew.

I'm going on another Alaska cruise in 2018 and I would be surprised to see more than thirty children on a ship that holds over 3,000.

If you want to be kid free, try HAL or Celebrity or Princess during the traditional school year. Longer cruises also have less kids. And Alaska cruises have less kids than the Caribbean cruises.

On my last RC cruise, the ship's officers talked about how they see a lot of high tier cruisers in the fall, winter and spring, then there is a fall off during the summer and then it picks up again in the fall. Maybe these high tier cruisers have figured something out that you have not.

I was on a Carnival cruise in February 2011. The cruise began the Monday after the Super Bowl (go Green Bay) and ended the following Tuesday. It was a Caribbean cruise and I doubt there were more than twenty kids on the cruise. The only time I saw them was when I peeked into the kids club one sea day.

I cannot believe that people pick a family friendly line and then complain about the children. All of you know Royal Caribbean's policies regarding children free venues. So why, if you are trying to get away from the little ones are you cruising with Royal Caribbean???

Wow...you sure have first hand experience on Alaska cruising from a cruise that was 17 years ago in Alaska. I will give you that. :rolleyes: Things have changed. 17 years ago there were no Diamond Lounges on ships. Some ships did not even have a concierge

lounge, and the ones that did have a CL...did not let children in during cocktail hour.

On our BOTH of our 2400 passenger cruises through Alaska less than a month ago,

there were many..many children. Well over your "30 figure"...way over a couple of

hundred. I know the the May and September cruises will have much less due to school being in session, but the DH decided to be born in August...hense the reason for the cruise during that time to celebrate a milestone birthday event. Sorry that bothers you.

I am only stating the facts as to children in the solarium that was directed at the

person that stated "Children are never allowed in the solaruim" I don't use the solarium,

ever, on any ship...so I really don't care anyway. Indeed on not just Alaska cruises, but any cruise that does the cold weather routes, RCI is nice to allow the tykes access to the

pool they love to use.

Please don't attempt to be my travel agent directing to me when or where I should cruise to, or what line to cruise on. I am able to do that myself, thank you. And yes, we did HAL to Alaska before. Not impressed at all...thank you very much.

And I am not "complaining" about the children as you stated. Just would appreciate having that one small lounge for a couple of hours to enjoy talking to like minded adults over an adult beverage before dinner...as we used to have. And I am not alone.

Very well said. Thank you.

Also well put...thank you as well.

Yes! Very well said.

It's called the Diamond Lounge. Not the Adult Diamond Lounge. I'm fairly confident that my teen daughter, who has been on every cruise I have, will be acting more "adult" than many of the adults in there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Congratulations on raising a responsible and polite minded child. I applaud

your parenting and wish there were more like you. :)

Just as there are some adults who you feel are not "adult" acting (though you claim

there are "many") in the lounge....

...it can go the same with some children (or should I say "many" as you did ;)).

Edited by island lady

Wow...you sure have first hand experience on Alaska cruising from a cruise that was 17 years ago in Alaska. I will give you that. :rolleyes: Things have changed. 17 years ago there were no Diamond Lounges on ships. Some ships did not even have a concierge

lounge, and the ones that did have a CL...did not let children in during cocktail hour.

On our BOTH of our 2400 passenger cruises through Alaska less than a month ago,

there were many..many children. Well over your "30 figure"...way over a couple of

hundred. I know the the May and September cruises will have much less due to school being in session, but the DH decided to be born in August...hense the reason for the cruise during that time to celebrate a milestone birthday event. Sorry that bothers you.

I am only stating the facts as to children in the solarium that was directed at the

person that stated "Children are never allowed in the solaruim" I don't use the solarium,

ever, on any ship...so I really don't care anyway. Indeed on not just Alaska cruises, but any cruise that does the cold weather routes, RCI is nice to allow the tykes access to the

pool they love to use.

Please don't attempt to be my travel agent directing to me when or where I should cruise to, or what line to cruise on. I am able to do that myself, thank you. And yes, we did HAL to Alaska before. Not impressed at all...thank you very much.

And I am not "complaining" about the children as you stated. Just would appreciate having that one small lounge for a couple of hours to enjoy talking to like minded adults over an adult beverage before dinner...as we used to have. And I am not alone.

I wasn't on a kid friendly line. Try HAL, Celebrity, or any of the luxury lines and you'll find very few kids. Just because you were on a family friendly line does not mean all ships are like that. The Caribbean is much more kid friendly than Alaska.

I wasn't on a kid friendly line. Try HAL, Celebrity, or any of the luxury lines and you'll find very few kids. Just because you were on a family friendly line does not mean all ships are like that. The Caribbean is much more kid friendly than Alaska.

Try telling that to the several hundred children that were obviously totally enjoying

their great experience on our B2B Radiance Alaska cruise. They seemed to be quite

happy to be cruising Alaska, and gaining a wealth of knowledge and memories with their

families.

As I said...please don't tell me what line "you think" I should cruise with, I can make

my own decisions, thank you very much. I am quite happy to be a "loyal royal". ;)

Try telling that to the several hundred children that were obviously totally enjoying

their great experience on our B2B Radiance Alaska cruise. They seemed to be quite

happy to be cruising Alaska, and gaining a wealth of knowledge and memories with their

families.

As I said...please don't tell me what line "you think" I should cruise with, I can make

my own decisions, thank you very much. I am quite happy to be a "loyal royal". ;)

I haven't told you want line to cruise on. I'm telling what lines to cruise on if you want to avoid children. But by the same token, don't cruise on Royal Caribbean and then complain you can't get a way from the kids.

Also, I'll be more than happy to tell the kids that the Caribbean is more kid friendly then Alaska. Please post their email addresses and/or phone numbers. I never said they would not have fun in Alaska, I said that the Caribbean is more kid friendly than Alaska.

Why do well behaved kids in the same room bother you? If they are not sitting at the same little table as you are, what difference does it make? I can see if there was a wailing infant or tantrum throwing toddler being allowed to carry on that would bother you, but why a well behaved kid? If you are discussing sensitive topics, then you should be just as uncomfortable discussing them within earshot of the adults near you as well. I truly just don't understand it, but wish I could since it seems so important to so many. And aren't the night clubs adults only?

Very well stated.....

I haven't told you want line to cruise on. I'm telling what lines to cruise on if you want to avoid children. But by the same token, don't cruise on Royal Caribbean and then complain you can't get a way from the kids.

Also, I'll be more than happy to tell the kids that the Caribbean is more kid friendly then Alaska. Please post their email addresses and/or phone numbers. I never said they would not have fun in Alaska, I said that the Caribbean is more kid friendly than Alaska.

I never said I wanted to avoid children. I just miss (as do many others) just one

lounge (as it used to be) just a few hours a day to enjoy adult beverages in an

adult themed lounge before dinner. I never complained that I cannot get away from kids.

You said that. Please review your posts.

It is a matter of opinion (yours) that the Carib is more child friendly than Alaska. I did

not see anything unfriendly to children on our 2 week Alaska cruise.

Enjoy your upcoming cruises. :)

Edited by island lady

I never said I wanted to avoid children. I just miss (as do many others) just one

lounge (as it used to be) just a few hours a day to enjoy adult beverages in an

adult themed lounge before dinner. I never complained that I cannot get away from kids.

You said that. Please review your posts.

It is a matter of opinion (yours) that the Carib is more child friendly than Alaska. I did

not see anything unfriendly to children on our 2 week Alaska cruise.

Enjoy your upcoming cruises. :)

I didn't say Alaska was unfriendly for kids, I said that the Caribbean was more friendly for kids. That does not mean that Alaska is unfriendly for kids.

If you don't want to get away from the kids, then why are you so concerned about a lounge that is adults only?

Why do well behaved kids in the same room bother you? If they are not sitting at the same little table as you are, what difference does it make? I can see if there was a wailing infant or tantrum throwing toddler being allowed to carry on that would bother you, but why a well behaved kid? If you are discussing sensitive topics, then you should be just as uncomfortable discussing them within earshot of the adults near you as well. I truly just don't understand it, but wish I could since it seems so important to so many. And aren't the night clubs adults only?

Asked that long ago. No response. Some people are just bothered with kids around and don't want to admit it.

Why do well behaved kids in the same room bother you? If they are not sitting at the same little table as you are, what difference does it make?

To me, it makes no difference at all, after all, I have some.:)

I can see if there was a wailing infant or tantrum throwing toddler being allowed to carry on that would bother you, but why a well behaved kid?

That's the difference. ;) There are those parents who don't think, or don't care, their child may be bothering anyone and then ALL children are given a bad rap. I guess enough people complained about children not being permitted in the lounges so now the good and the bad have equal access.

Yes, a place that is a kid free zone would be nice but I suspect the same thing would happen, as did in the lounges, outcry again so kids allowed.

If you are discussing sensitive topics, then you should be just as uncomfortable discussing them within earshot of the adults near you as well. I truly just don't understand it, but wish I could since it seems so important to so many. And aren't the night clubs adults only?

I don't know about sensitive, there are just some things that aren't for little ears.

I didn't say Alaska was unfriendly for kids, I said that the Caribbean was more friendly for kids. That does not mean that Alaska is unfriendly for kids.

If you don't want to get away from the kids, then why are you so concerned about a lounge that is adults only?

Rather than continuing to attack me, please go back and read post #153.

And then read it again. That post, was directed to you. It also was applauded

and admired by many.

Don't bother to respond to me any longer. I am done with this thread.

Edited by island lady

Rather than continuing to attack me, please go back and read post #153.

And then read it again. That post, was directed to you. It also was applauded

and admired by many.

Don't bother to respond to me any longer. I am done with this thread.

The only one who has responded to your any of your posts since post 153 (including post 153) is me.

Edited by Cuizer2