Children in the Diamond Lounge?

From rccl guest conduct policy:

"For purposes of complying with the minimum drinking age requirements, a guest’s age is

established upon boarding at the beginning of the cruise vacation. If a guest celebrates their birthday during the cruise vacation, and thereby becomes of age to consume alcohol, the guest may thereafter ask the Guest Services Manager to modify ship’s records to permit their consumption of alcohol during the remainder of the vacation. The guest will be required to appear at Guest Services to present a valid government-issued form of identification to permit verification of their age.

No guest under age 18 may possess or consume alcohol at any time."

Sorry did not remember the part that you could go and have the restriction removed. Or rccl amended their policy the past few years since i have read it. So yes you can now drink when you turn 21.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

How did she have her card updated already at 12:01am? Wouldn't she have had to go to Guest Services first and show proof to get it updated?

The "card" does not indicate a person's age. If it includes their birthdate, I'm sure the bartender can count to 21. But why wait until 12:01? At the stroke of midnight the person is already 21.

But what happens if at 12:02 the ship crosses the International Date Line? All the more reason to get that drink at 12:00am.

Edited by Cuizer2

Why wait till 21 at all? All you need to do is step off the ship at any non-US port and an 18 year old (or even younger in some places) can get a drink at a bar on land.:p

That is not so easy to do if the ship is about to sail across the International Date Line. :)

The "card" does not indicate a person's age. If it includes their birthdate, I'm sure the bartender can count to 21. But why wait until 12:01? At the stroke of midnight the person is already 21.

Do you think a bartender would be willing to risk their job by improvising on a company policy and taking it upon themselves to give someone a drink who should not have one?

Also, if their seapass card is marked to say that they are a minor, wouldn't it still prevent them from buying a drink even after midnight? Or is it the bartender who enforces the restriction?

Edited by MisterBill99

Also, if their seapass card is marked to say that they are a minor, wouldn't it still prevent them from buying a drink even after midnight? Or is it the bartender who enforces the restriction?

I think it is as simple as the bartender telling the now 21 year old guest to go to guest services and get an updated card.

I think it is as simple as the bartender telling the now 21 year old guest to go to guest services and get an updated card.

Agreed. But I was questioning the person who said "My DN turned 21 in the middle of our cruise and was allowed to order a drink at 12:01 am on here Birthday." That wasn't going to happen if they had to go to Guest Services to get their card updated.

Agreed. But I was questioning the person who said "My DN turned 21 in the middle of our cruise and was allowed to order a drink at 12:01 am on here Birthday." That wasn't going to happen if they had to go to Guest Services to get their card updated.

That's why it's 12:01, they get their card at midnight at GS and then need a minute to sprint to the nearest bar.:p

Do you think a bartender would be willing to risk their job by improvising on a company policy and taking it upon themselves to give someone a drink who should not have one?

A person who is 20 years and 364 days is not a minor.

I have seen children in the CL. I have not cruised since they are now allowed in the DL.

I have seen children pick up appetizers without using the tongs that are provided. Sometimes putting them back. I have never seen the concierge or a parent correct this. Maybe it happens. I personally have not seen it.

I have also seen diaper changing in the CL.Please give us a choice.

There should be one lounge that does not allow children.

The two items highlighted above are beyond un-acceptable. Get the food for the child. Change the child in the BATHROOM!! As far as children being allowed I understand RCI making the change but there needs to be proper parenting. My son made Diamond 2 years ago and he is very well behaved and will do fine hanging out for a bit and then going to do whatever he wants.

The two items highlighted above are beyond un-acceptable. Get the food for the child. Change the child in the BATHROOM!! As far as children being allowed I understand RCI making the change but there needs to be proper parenting. My son made Diamond 2 years ago and he is very well behaved and will do fine hanging out for a bit and then going to do whatever he wants.

Oh my, parents changing diapers in the lounge is so classless..when did Royal become a Waffle House environment? Does make me prefer Celebrity at this point in my life due to parents not having any interest in managing their children.

Edited by aly7859

Oh my, parents changing diapers in the lounge is so classless..when did Royal become a Waffle House environment? Does make me prefer Celebrity at this point in my life due to parents not having any interest in managing their children.
I would have said something quietly to the concierge about parents changing diapers in the lounge as it is unsanitary.

I second your comment about many parents not having any interest in managing their children. My kids are pretty strict with their 5 year old triplet boys and I highly double they would take them into the DL or CL as they would be bored and restless -- they need a lot of activity. Or if they did take them and one or more acted up, they would be out of there.

• 7 months later...
Now sailing on one of the Royal ships in the Med, they say that RCCL changed their policy on allowing children under 18 in the Diamond Lounge as long as they are with an adult. Maybe we've missed something. In the concierge lounge the same, first night there were more children than adults😉

About 2 years ago (2015) we were on Oasis and did not bring our daughter (age 2.5) into the diamond lounge as we did not know she was allowed. Upon our last day there, the host said any well behaved child was more than welcomed. I still try to always be considerate and go early/later so we do not impede on other's enjoyment too much. I also do not allow her to take up any seat if there are adults standing around. But being a much older parent, I'm quite aware of poorly behaved children and how they can ruin a relaxing time. Fortunately, our child is much better behaved than 95% of other children - but likely because we know to entice her to be on her best behavior...or remove her when she is misbehaving. I have no issue with well behaved persons of any age.

Wow! What a thread! I gotta say-I had no idea that up until recently children were not allowed in the Diamond Lounge. We've been bringing my now 12 year old son in with us for the past 3 years since we became D members and no one ever said one word about it. I never saw a sign or read in any documentation that children weren't welcome. I just thought that he needed to be accompanied by one of us. We sit and chat about our day and plan for the next day. We socialize with the concierge and other people while having a few apps and drinks. My son enjoys this time to feel like he's a part of something special and we enjoy seeing the good behavior and manners on full display. We all like to go in the morning as well for a special coffee and my son likes to make what he calls a latte--just foamed milk. I'm pretty astonished that this is such a heated debate. Well, not really--this is CC after all. But honestly- sounds like some of you need to think about a transfer on over to Holland America ;p

Wow! What a thread! I gotta say-I had no idea that up until recently children were not allowed in the Diamond Lounge. We've been bringing my now 12 year old son in with us for the past 3 years since we became D members and no one ever said one word about it. I never saw a sign or read in any documentation that children weren't welcome. I just thought that he needed to be accompanied by one of us. We sit and chat about our day and plan for the next day. We socialize with the concierge and other people while having a few apps and drinks. My son enjoys this time to feel like he's a part of something special and we enjoy seeing the good behavior and manners on full display. We all like to go in the morning as well for a special coffee and my son likes to make what he calls a latte--just foamed milk. I'm pretty astonished that this is such a heated debate. Well, not really--this is CC after all. But honestly- sounds like some of you need to think about a transfer on over to Holland America ;p

Have always understood that kids in the diamond lounge was at the discretion of concierge. There is usually a letter in your cabin explaining what the concierge rules are - for everyone - not just kids. Have never had a cruise where kids could not use all day long - your example of foamed milk, for example. I have seen a concierge say no kids during the free cocktail time, usually 5:00 to 8:30 or so. Some concierges treat this as adults only time.

Have always understood that kids in the diamond lounge was at the discretion of concierge. There is usually a letter in your cabin explaining what the concierge rules are - for everyone - not just kids. Have never had a cruise where kids could not use all day long - your example of foamed milk, for example. I have seen a concierge say no kids during the free cocktail time, usually 5:00 to 8:30 or so. Some concierges treat this as adults only time.

As it should be. At least that's my opinion.

That used to be the policy however I believe that it has been with in the past year that Miami has changed that and accompanied children are allowed in the DL at all times. It is no longer at the concierges discretion.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Forums mobile app

It generally states age limitations in the DL on your welcome letter in your cabin. If I had young children I would be annoyed not to find out until I was onboard as it would impact how I planned my early evening. I do think the three drinks on our cards helps, since you can go other places with children.

I think the information is available via internet or CC beforehand. Other venues may be more interesting anyway if the DL is very crowded.

Did you want the kids to stand?.

When my children were young, we taught them to offer a seat to adults if none were available. As kids, they are generally comfortable sitting on the floor so it was never an issue for us. It was a matter of showing respect for adults.

We taught our sons to extend the same courtesy to women and the elderly.

Sent from my iPad using Forums