The good, the bad and the ugly. First time onboard the Royal Princess.

Fredrik

We´ve sailed on different cruise lines but mostly on Royal and Celebrity. With only one Princess cruise, on Sun Princess 14 nt around Japan, we did´t really know what to expect going from one of the smaller Princess ships to the biggest. Here are some of my reflections on the seven night Barcelona to Rome cruise we just experienced.

The good

Well, let´s start with the amazing. The chefs table Lumiere was absolutely the highlight of the entire cruise. We´ve been to many chefs and captains tables before, but this was doc different. From the hosting, the service, the venue and the food it was absolutely top notch. I would recommend anyone interested in food and wine to sign up as soon as you embark. Mr Generoso is with 33 years experience on the seas the absolute best to guide you thru the event. Chef did an amazing job and the table i the middle in the dining room with the lights is just so cool. Unbeatable value and we all got a cookbook and plenty of food and drinks. Just book it. Just book it.

Continuing on the good I´m very impressed by the buffet both at breakfast and lunch. (We didn´t try dinner so I can´t comment). Food was nice and a good selection, but what an amazing amount of space and free tabled. We´re more used to fighting for a place to sit, but it was plenty, and so were the servers, almost to the point that they were too many, but I rather answer no to more orange juice three times, than having no server around. With over 4000 people on board we never waited anywhere.

Princess doesn´t have the bells and whistles that Royal Caribbean have so instead we got a lot, and most of it really good, entertainment. The cruise directors staff was energetic and we went to quite a few of the Gameshows. Cult Classics according to the Princess Patter. I rate them highly and I think they did an amazing job engaging people. Matt33 had quite a fan club as the cruise went along.

The bad

The public restrooms are a joke. Who designed them? They are cramped and so poorly designed they feel like an afterthought. Almost like they were left out and retrofitted. Soap dispenser not working properly and don´t get me started with the trashcans in there…. Some of them were even difficult to find.

The service and general attitude in the International café (coffee side). Wow, all the crew anywhere else were as expected with really good service, but I've never seen so much attitude like from the ”baristas” on board. I saw quite a few passengers complain and the general answer was always a head shake and some really bad attitude. I got good service one out of five times there. My fav comment after having waited for quite some time in a long line for coffee and then asking for a cookie getting the answer to line up again for the food section. We´ll they are right behind you I asked only to get ”I'm a bar service, I don't do food”.

The ugly

The massive vibrations in the stateroom that left me sleepless the first two nights. I don't mind a bit of rocking and rolling, but seas were dead calm, this was coming from the engine. I guess we´re spoiled with azipods, but this was just way too much. You could feel it in different parts of the ship, but I didn't expect our balcony stateroom on deck 14 to have the same feel as an aft on the lower decks. I asked at guest relations, but they claimed it was normal. Well after 66 cruises, we've never had this much vibrations before. At some point my head was almost bumbing up and down on the pillow. For this reason alone, I will not be on Royal Princess again. We did not have these problems on the Sun.

These are just my personal thoughts. Take them for what they are and keep cruising, whatever line you choose. Enjoy life!

Fredrik

If you liked the Princess experience overall, try another Princess ship. I love the Grand Class ships. I have not been on Royal P so can't comment on the items you weren't happy with.

Claudia

That's a nice theory, but 2 points. I'm relatively new to Princess but not to cruising.

I still haven't figured out which ships fit into which "class" as discussed on the boards.

I am much more likely to choose a cruise based on where it is going (and when) than on which ship it is within a given line. So the suggestion to try a certain "class" of ship doesn't really help this relative newbie.

We started with the Caribbean Princess because we were looking at a 33 night cruise and didn't want to get "stuck" if we hated it. Thus, we looked for a shorter cruise on that ship as a "try out." We were happy with the try out and within months had booked 4 more Princess cruises--the B2B on Caribbean Princess and a 20 night B2B on another ship based on where the ship was going. It will be interesting to see another Princess ship.

Thank you for your review. I appreciate hearing what you liked and what you disliked on Royal.

Can you share where your cabin was located or which cabin number you were in that experienced the significant vibration?

Thanks,

Shelly

Thanks for the review. Interesting comments about the vibrations in that I've sailed on the Royal three times for 44 days in cabins in different locations from Emerald to Marina decks and never felt or heard vibrations other than what you'd normally feel from the thrusters as we entered port and even then, it wasn't bad. You sure the vibrations were the engines?

I am also interested in cabin #... we are booked on the Royal next year.

If the bathroom maintenance was not up to par, trash issue, I hope it was reported to the PSD, likewise the poor attitude in the Cafe... these things can easily be fixed...having folks line up 2x for beverage and food is not good customer service!

Thanks for your review.

I agree try the Grand class ships, Ruby, Grand, Golden, Crown, Carribbean are some of them to consider.

....I'm relatively new to Princess but not to cruising.

I still haven't figured out which ships fit into which "class" as discussed on the boards.

check out the Wikipedia listing for Princess. They're all there by class.

Thank you for your review. We did this same itinerary as you- only we did the June 25 version. I did notice that the IC crew were not as friendly as others- but nothing too surly. We had a lot of first timers to Princess on board- and with the short turnaround schedule of these cruises, I think the crew gets exhausted.

We had an aft cabin- on Deck 8, and did notice some vibration, but nothing too extreme. I have been on the Royal three time- once in an aft on Deck 12 and once at midship on 14, and still never noticed any extreme vibration.

I am also interested in cabin #... we are booked on the Royal next year.

If the bathroom maintenance was not up to par, trash issue, I hope it was reported to the PSD, likewise the poor attitude in the Cafe... these things can easily be fixed...having folks line up 2x for beverage and food is not good customer service!

Thanks for your review.

I agree try the Grand class ships, Ruby, Grand, Golden, Crown, Carribbean are some of them to consider.

From what she described I am not sure it was bad attitude as much as she wanted the coffee side of the IC to get food when she ordered her coffee, which is not their job.

At the IC you have the food side and the coffee side. The food people do not take coffee orders and the coffee people do not get food. Just that simple. Her compliant was that the coffee folks would not get food. It sounds like their response was to let her know that they did not get food that she needed to talk to the people that handled that.

One thing I'll agree with is I noticed the same thing about super rude Baristas on the Regal too .. Which btw I've never experienced before on any other Princess ship

Might be the size of the Royal & Regal and the additional demands on the Baristas (?)

Srpilo

Thanks for the review. Interesting comments about the vibrations in that I've sailed on the Royal three times for 44 days in cabins in different locations from Emerald to Marina decks and never felt or heard vibrations other than what you'd normally feel from the thrusters as we entered port and even then, it wasn't bad. You sure the vibrations were the engines?

We have been on both the Royal and Regal and have experienced major vibration issues. It usually occurred as we were pulling out of port. On the Royal's maiden TA, we were at dinner when we pulled out of Venice. Our table was right next to the Table Lumiere. The ship vibrated so badly that the Murano Glass sculpture in the center of the table broke. Fortunately it was just one "leaf".

Sailed on the Royal last year. I agree with you on the baristas and the overall bad attitude at the IC. Got small pies from there twice and both times they were stone cold. When I asked to have rhe second one warmed up I was told No. I never got another pastry from them and did mention it on my survey. First time ever getting food that cold from the IC. Also it was rhe same food evry day of the course with no changes.

Felt no vibrations at all on the 7 days we cruised on her. Overall we were happy with the cruise.

We´ve sailed on different cruise lines but mostly on Royal and Celebrity. With only one Princess cruise, on Sun Princess 14 nt around Japan, we did´t really know what to expect going from one of the smaller Princess ships to the biggest. Here are some of my reflections on the seven night Barcelona to Rome cruise we just experienced.

The good

Well, let´s start with the amazing. The chefs table Lumiere was absolutely the highlight of the entire cruise. We´ve been to many chefs and captains tables before, but this was doc different. From the hosting, the service, the venue and the food it was absolutely top notch. I would recommend anyone interested in food and wine to sign up as soon as you embark. Mr Generoso is with 33 years experience on the seas the absolute best to guide you thru the event. Chef did an amazing job and the table i the middle in the dining room with the lights is just so cool. Unbeatable value and we all got a cookbook and plenty of food and drinks. Just book it. Just book it.

Continuing on the good I´m very impressed by the buffet both at breakfast and lunch. (We didn´t try dinner so I can´t comment). Food was nice and a good selection, but what an amazing amount of space and free tabled. We´re more used to fighting for a place to sit, but it was plenty, and so were the servers, almost to the point that they were too many, but I rather answer no to more orange juice three times, than having no server around. With over 4000 people on board we never waited anywhere.

Princess doesn´t have the bells and whistles that Royal Caribbean have so instead we got a lot, and most of it really good, entertainment. The cruise directors staff was energetic and we went to quite a few of the Gameshows. Cult Classics according to the Princess Patter. I rate them highly and I think they did an amazing job engaging people. Matt33 had quite a fan club as the cruise went along.

The bad

The public restrooms are a joke. Who designed them? They are cramped and so poorly designed they feel like an afterthought. Almost like they were left out and retrofitted. Soap dispenser not working properly and don´t get me started with the trashcans in there…. Some of them were even difficult to find.

The service and general attitude in the International café (coffee side). Wow, all the crew anywhere else were as expected with really good service, but I've never seen so much attitude like from the ”baristas” on board. I saw quite a few passengers complain and the general answer was always a head shake and some really bad attitude. I got good service one out of five times there. My fav comment after having waited for quite some time in a long line for coffee and then asking for a cookie getting the answer to line up again for the food section. We´ll they are right behind you I asked only to get ”I'm a bar service, I don't do food”.

The ugly

The massive vibrations in the stateroom that left me sleepless the first two nights. I don't mind a bit of rocking and rolling, but seas were dead calm, this was coming from the engine. I guess we´re spoiled with azipods, but this was just way too much. You could feel it in different parts of the ship, but I didn't expect our balcony stateroom on deck 14 to have the same feel as an aft on the lower decks. I asked at guest relations, but they claimed it was normal. Well after 66 cruises, we've never had this much vibrations before. At some point my head was almost bumbing up and down on the pillow. For this reason alone, I will not be on Royal Princess again. We did not have these problems on the Sun.

These are just my personal thoughts. Take them for what they are and keep cruising, whatever line you choose. Enjoy life!

Fredrik

We never had vibrations in our 2 cruises.

Don't get me started on the Ladies restroom between the Explorer's Bar and the Wheelhouse Bar on Golden. I'd like to take whoever designed that one and stuff him/her headfirst down one of the toilets! :mad:

Three cubicles, with a narrow passage through to them with handbasins on one side and a makeup unit on the other which protruded out into the walkway. This restroom serviced not only those two bars but also the Vista Lounge, Crooners, and the rear deck six MDR. There was another Ladies restroom hidden away at the back of the Explorer's Bar but it was very well hidden and it appeared most people didn't know it was there - at least the ones I talked to didn't.

Thanks for the review. Now can't wait to get aboard Royal this Saturday.

Not a coffee addict so wont be bothered with the supposed poor service. As for vibrations we felt them on the Solstice class ships and don't mind them. It is a ship after all; not just a hotel.

We've been on the Royal a number of times (Emerald deck) & never had any vibrations which make me think there was some equipment near their cabin that caused them.

The two lines at the IC can be dealt with by placing an order for coffee and then get something from the pastry side. The line always moved very quickly even when busy. Your coffee will be waiting when you arrive in a few minutes.

Most people learn this on the very first day.

We were on the RP for a Baltic Cruise in an inside cabin.....could overhear the conversations of our neighbors clearly to the point we started whispering to keep our own privacy.....never experienced this on any other cruise.