So glad I listened to you guys

Well at least those that said the new pricing structure to not discount last minute cruises was not going to go away and that booking far in advance was the new norm.

So I booked nearly 2 years in advance for the Adventure for spring break March 2017 which I had never done previously. We booked a Jr. Suite on the hump for $1,250/pp with taxes and port charges that included $300 RCCL OBC and $190 TA OBC.

Just looked today because this is typically my time frame for looking at spring break travel next year and saw it is now double at $5,017 with $425 C**** cash card.

Thank you very much.

Dave

:):D

Well at least those that said the new pricing structure to not discount last minute cruises was not going to go away and that booking far in advance was the new norm.

So I booked nearly 2 years in advance for the Adventure for spring break March 2017 which I had never done previously. We booked a Jr. Suite on the hump for $1,250/pp with taxes and port charges that included $300 RCCL OBC and $190 TA OBC.

Just looked today because this is typically my time frame for looking at spring break travel next year and saw it is now double at $5,017 with $425 C**** cash card.

Thank you very much.

Dave

I too have found this the "norm" for the past 4 or 5 years. I always book as soon as the itinerary is released. Glad it worked out for you too!

According to sites that monitor cruise prices, I had no problems finding RCI cruises sailing in the next few weeks that are now priced lower than when they were first placed on the market.

I'm guessing spring break is a key factor here.

Example: Oasis sailing August 13 (a few weeks away), "Balcony / Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony / D5"

Went as high as $3500 in 2015, is now $2200.

Edited by AdoraBelle

Thank you very much.

Dave

I did almost the exact same thing for Adventure for April of that month. I guess those prices just came out lower than they were supposed to be? I paid less for the JS than I have on similar D class balconies for 7 day cruises.

According to sites that monitor cruise prices, I had no problems finding RCI cruises sailing in the next few weeks that are now priced lower than when they were first placed on the market.

Example: Oasis sailing August 13 (a few weeks away), "Balcony / Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony / D5"

Some day I will have that flexibility to go at a moments notice and live close enough on the east coast to drive to find those last minute deals but with my wife being a teacher, thus having limited options to when she can take off, and currently booking airfare from Arizona that isn't a possibility at the moment for us.

Awesome when you can take care of those deals.

My impression is that the lower price is at itinerary release, and it will discretely increase every quarter till 8 months before departure. Then it makes a substantial increase 6 months before, and it skyrockets 5 months out. By time of final payment, regular cabins will have the price of their next type (interiors with ocean view prices, ocean view cabins with balcony prices, regular balconies with Junior Suites prices, and so on).

But this is not always true, I've seen some deep discounts even three months before departure. It's just a matter of booking as early as possible, monitor prices almost on a daily basis, and request adjustments or upgrades after a price drop.

Thank you very much.

Dave

I'm on Harmony this Christmas and it's never been as cheap as it was when we booked last June.

Enjoy your cruise :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm on Harmony this Christmas and it's never been as cheap as it was when we booked last June.

Enjoy your cruise :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I booked HOTS June 2015 but for March 2018...pricing has more than doubled.

Edited by Ashland

We always book our longer cruises as soon as the itins come out. Already have Harmony booked for next Dec 2017 and Oasis booked for April 2018.

I have found it is very rare that prices drop. Sometimes yes, but most times not. Right now every cruise I have booked as gone way up in price. Our Nov Brilliance is double what we paid. Our april Summit is more than double what we paid. Plus I like certain cabins on week long cruises. So I book what I want and then watch for price drops.

As high as $3,500 does not mean that was the original release price.

We sail Aug 28 on Freedom. E2 up on deck 12. Our price from 18 months ago with D+ discount is $1,836.

Today that cabin is $2,182

We booked Harmony back in April of 2015. Then there was a price drop in June. Since there are no more suites avail to compare pricing, I can't say how much it has gone up... But the Jr Suite is more than I paid for the 1 bd Aqua Theater suite so that says something in itself.

With the price drop in June 2015 I booked my stepson in a CP Balcony and that has since almost doubled!!

And that's why I didn't phrase it as being the release price.

That said, I did forget to include the day one price. (As tracked by that site.) It looks like it was about $3000. So $800 more on opening day than if I booked right now.

I don't have a dog in this fight as I don't sail this line, but pretending price drops don't happen close to sail date is silly.

I don't have a dog in this fight as I don't sail this line, but pretending price drops don't happen close to sail date is silly.

The GGG flier wouldn't exist without drops - I think the issue is the size and frequency of the drops (compared to previous years) that is being debated.

The GGG flier wouldn't exist without drops - I think the issue is the size and frequency of the drops (compared to previous years) that is being debated.

Sorry, I'm not even sure what GGG stands for. :) I'm only referring to the idea of "no last minute price drops".

Sorry, I'm not even sure what GGG stands for. :) I'm only referring to the idea of "no last minute price drops".

It is Going, Going, Gone which is RCI's weekly sales event which typically offers specials on cruises 30 to 60 days before their sailing date.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

Edited by robtulipe

We sail Aug 28 on Freedom. E2 up on deck 12. Our price from 18 months ago with D+ discount is $1,836.

Today that cabin is $2,182

You can get an E3 cabin today for $1506 incl the $225 discount on that sailing

Edited by molly361

• 3 months later...

Thank you very much.

Dave

Wow just checked again today and the Jr Suite is now priced more than what the Owners Suite was priced at when we booked. Its now $6,418 with $545 TA card and $100 OBC. Seems cra cra to pay that for a JR Suite.

:D

Dave

I am the opposite. I just decided I might want to take a cruise for spring break 2017. I wasn't going to cruise at all next year, but now it looks like I'm getting a Future Cruise Credit from my upcoming Adventure OTS cruise, so I'm looking at where I can use it.

The prices are so high right now. I'm going to wait until I am within the 90-day window and see if prices drop. I've always booked WAY ahead. I feel like such a risk-taker!

Glad it worked out for you. I always book waaay in advance, like you sometimes two years ahead of sailing. You can't beat the price! My next cruise to Alaska I booked on our Bermuda cruise 22 months prior to sailing and if I was to book today I would have to pay $1000 more for the 3 of us.

The best deal I have seen is our Disney cruise. They are so expensive but I wanted to take my son on it as he was turning 5. It was perfect year for him as soon after he lost interest in the characters but throughly enjoyed the cruise and the characters on the ship. I found out the day the itinerary was going to get released (the ship was still under construction), and marked my calendar. When the day came I booked an interior cabin for the 3 of us at $1100 total price. For Disney, that's a steal, otherwise it would have been at least double for a weekend cruise!

I am currently on the look out for a Mediterranean cruise with either Princess, Celebrity or RCL. I am going to compare the port itineraries as we want want to go to some specific ports, but I want to book it on the first day they deploy the schedules. If that means booking several at once and once we make up my mind on which one we cancel the rest, it's worth it.

The good thing is that with RCL of the price goes down after booking you can always get it adjusted. So we are not losing anything by booking early.

Edited by Florida_cruisers