back surgery before cruise

giantsfan71

Hi everyone,

I have a question about cruising after back surgery. I've searched the forums, and found a couple relevant threads, but thought I would ask again to get some more recent feedback.

We have a cruise planned for mid-November, but I need back surgery (l4/l5 laminectomy w/ fusion). I'm trying to decide whether I should get this before the cruise (b/c it is tough to live with the pain) or wait until after. In theory, if I schedule surgery now, I would get it in early Sept and have a solid 2 months of recovery at least before the cruise. Surgeon said that going on the cruise after 2 months is probably fine (assuming no complications, no crazy excursions, etc). So my question to the group is, does anyone have any experience with having back surgery and going on a cruise afterwards? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Wow, that's a problem. I would trust your doctor, but include all travel to and from the ship with luggage. Will you have lifting limitations? Once on the ship, you should probably be okay, but flying/driving would be a problem.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Almost, but not quite. I had a laminectomy, but no fusion, 3 weeks before a 10 night cruise. I, too debated whether to have it before or after the cruise. I finally decided that I'd rather be slowed down from surgery than in pain.

Surgery went great and I had relief from the time I woke up. Went on the cruise with drs blessings and had a great time. Sure, I was a little (maybe a lot) slower, but since I usually run at 100 mph it MADE me relax more.

Dr said I could do anything I felt comfortable doing. When I asked about snorkeling he told me I could, but to take it easy. Turned out I wasn't comfortable enough to try it, but was glad I could have.

Only thing he told me to not do was get in the hot tub and he stressed that over, and over and over.

A lot of people thought I was crazy for flying halfway across the country and cruising just a week after getting my staples out, but it was one of our favorite cruises. We repeated the ship/itinerary last year so I could do everything I couldn't do the first time.

Sorry for being so long winded, but hope this helps. Everyone heals differently and tolerates things differently and I wish you the best.

2 months should be ample time to recover enough for a vacation!

God forbid that there should be any complications with a pre-cruise surgery. It's a change in a condition most likely known when the first cruise deposit was made. If the travel insurance wasn't purchased per the "pre-existing conditions waiver" requirements, OP is "screwed" if a related claim is made.

I had a Thoracic laminectomy and placement of spinal cord stimulator and generator and two days later drove to Canada. I think it is all about attitude and what you are willing to make work. Whiners will have a harder time. Non whiners will get out there and do it because they want to push themselves to get stronger.

Edited by notentirelynormal

I really would not be seeking advice here.

This is something to discuss with your surgeon.

And do remember that should you decide to have the surgery first we each heal differently, regardless of the surgery. Recovery time can range based on the person, including age, and size and shape and also on the success or even to some extent lack of success of the surgery.

None of us are experts on this and even the experts can be wrong for the reasons I mentioned.

Keith

I had a Thoracic laminectomy and placement of spinal cord stimulator and generator and two days later drove to Canada. I think it is all about attitude and what you are willing to make work. Whiners will have a harder time. Non whiners will get out there and do it because they want to push themselves to get stronger.

This is one of the most arrogant and ignorant comments I've read on here in awhile lol First, you didn't even have a fusion, so you're not exactly in a position to judge what someone elses fusion recovery should be. It's great that your experience was a breeze and your case was easy, but not everyone has the same problems and complications do NOT mean they're "just whiners". Backsurgery is not a one size fits all and its just plain stupid to assume it should be.

My first fusion was at age 14 for a 50% spondylolisthesis at l5-S1. For those that don't know the terminology, that means the whole vertebra had slipped forward 1.4 centimeter and my spinal cord was getting pinched. The surgery helped a lot and I returned to snow skiing, running, and whatever else struck my fancy.

30 years later, and l3 and l4 also started to slip. I had blown discs compressing nerve roots and a couple of grape-sized cysts due to instability. I had surgery at Stanford University. I went expecting l3-l5 to be fused and a 2 to 3 month recovery. Easy-peezy, right?

Once they got in there, they discovered my fusion at l5-S1 had completely failed and it had not been visible on any of my imaging. They did not use hardware in my first fusion, but they removed the lamina and the disc and with a 50% slip, it got complicated fast. I came out with l4-S1 fused and was not allowed to bend, twist, or lift more than a gallon of milk for six months, and that had nothing to do with being "a whiner". It had to do with my dr wanting to give a revision of a failed fusion the highest chance of success. I was only allowed to sit for 30 minutes at a time a couple of times a day for 2 months. My dr would have flipped out at a long road trip and there's no way I would have been allowed on a cruise.

Again, back surgery is not a one size fits all and its ridiculous to assume that everyone should have as easy a time as you had.

Edited by NoobCruise

This is really something only you and your dr can decide because everyone's case is different and experiences vary widely. We sailed to Alaska before my surgery and back pain really slowed me down. We had a great time, but I was in pain the whole time, and at that time, I wished I had waited until after surgery.

However, I had complications (explained in my previous post) and the expected recovery of 2 to 3 months turned into well over a year. If I had had a cruise booked in that time, I would have missed it. But again, that's really something only you and your dr can decide. My advice would be if you book knowing you're going in to surgery, then definitely get the Cancel-for-any-reason trip insurance, just in case.

And do remember that should you decide to have the surgery first we each heal differently, regardless of the surgery. Recovery time can range based on the person, including age, and size and shape and also on the success or even to some extent lack of success of the surgery.

None of us are experts on this and even the experts can be wrong for the reasons I mentioned.

Keith

Exactly this. I just had part of a lung removed and I was back to normal activity in 6 weeks. A friend of mine had a similar procedure and it took him 3 months to fully recovery due to complications. Given the unknowns if there is anyway for you to enjoy the cruise before having surgery that might be the way to go. Whatever decision you make I do wish you luck and hope that you fully enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for your responses. We have already booked the cruise - well before my condition was known. I was just looking for some feedback from those who may have had a similar operation, since I have discussed this with my surgeon who believes a cruise would most likely be fine. Thankfully we do not need to fly to the port, so that is one less item to consider.

Again, I appreciate all your comments.

Thanks for your responses. We have already booked the cruise - well before my condition was known. I was just looking for some feedback from those who may have had a similar operation, since I have discussed this with my surgeon who believes a cruise would most likely be fine. Thankfully we do not need to fly to the port, so that is one less item to consider.

Again, I appreciate all your comments.

I haven't had surgery, because they say it is more likely to make things worse than better, but I did spend five years in a wheelchair due to a bad back.

I think cruising is perfect.

When I'm real bad I go and crash in my cabin, while Mrs Gut gets on with whatever takes her fancy, but can drop in and check on me as often as she likes.

I've had a laminectomy (higher in the spine than yours will be) and no fusion. The laminectomy was only part of the surgery. So, it's not an apples to apples comparison and as you know, our bodies respond in their own ways. I went back to work four weeks after surgery and it was too soon. A PP my call me a "whiner" but, trust me, I'm not. I actually have a very high pain tolerance. Anyway, I do believe I could have done a cruise two months after (though a flight longer than a couple hours would have been brutal) but it would have been a very relaxing and restful cruise...certainly not at my usual level of activity.

As others have said, trust your doctor (although it was my doctor who said I could go back to work after four weeks! LOL).

Hi everyone,

I have a question about cruising after back surgery. I've searched the forums, and found a couple relevant threads, but thought I would ask again to get some more recent feedback.

We have a cruise planned for mid-November, but I need back surgery (l4/l5 laminectomy w/ fusion). I'm trying to decide whether I should get this before the cruise (b/c it is tough to live with the pain) or wait until after. In theory, if I schedule surgery now, I would get it in early Sept and have a solid 2 months of recovery at least before the cruise. Surgeon said that going on the cruise after 2 months is probably fine (assuming no complications, no crazy excursions, etc). So my question to the group is, does anyone have any experience with having back surgery and going on a cruise afterwards? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

I had spine surgery in April 2010 and went on a cruise in December 2010 .Obviously longer than 2 months ,however,my suggestion is having the surgery before the cruise .If you are having major back problems you do not want to be on the ship or in a port with limited medical capability.

Having said the above ,I believe that you should discuss this with your surgeon.

Lenny

Keith

After 36 years of practicing medicine I would emphatically agree with this. Every patient is different, they each heal differently, they all have different pain thresholds and even when everything is done perfectly you cannot be totally sure of outcomes.

Listen to your physicians who hopefully know you best. The value of advice here for what you are having done is iffy at the best.

After 36 years of practicing medicine I would emphatically agree with this. Every patient is different, they each heal differently, they all have different pain thresholds and even when everything is done perfectly you cannot be totally sure of outcomes.

Listen to your physicians who hopefully know you best. The value of advice here for what you are having done is iffy at the best.

Voice of reason and experience. :D

This was my point. I just wrote it poorly. To those I offended I humbly apologize. I was trying to say that there are fighters and there are non fighters. If you are in the fighter category, no matter what, you have a better chance to making progress then those that sit on a couch and just complain and never try. Again, I totally apologize to those I offended with my poorly written example. But I do stand behind that those that aren't willing to do anything to help themselves have a harder time to heal than those that have the mindset that they want to be better.

Again, I do apologize. I live in pain each and every day. Walking to the bathroom can be painful and bring tears. Having someone gently touch my foot or leg can bring a level 10 reaction. I would never ever insinuate that my experience is better then others because I'm the best ever. I may not have back issues but I have plenty of others.

I refuse to let my pain make me sit inside every day and complain. I am out there pushing myself. For example, I have my four grandkids for two weeks. They are 5, 7, 9 and 11. This was the first day of their two week stay. OMG! First day accomplished. Only 14 more to go LOL.

One more time: I am sorry I insulted anyone. Pain is a very personal thing. So is recovery and life. For me personally, I will get out of bed and crawl to the toilet if that is what it takes. My point was: there are others that won't. That it is a totally personal issue.

Also, for the record, my first surgery was not only a total bust but it 150% made my condition worse. Much worse. If I was a person that sued I would have a wonderful lawsuit. That just isn't me.

This was my point. I just wrote it poorly. To those I offended I humbly apologize. I was trying to say that there are fighters and there are non fighters. If you are in the fighter category, no matter what, you have a better chance to making progress then those that sit on a couch and just complain and never try. Again, I totally apologize to those I offended with my poorly written example. But I do stand behind that those that aren't willing to do anything to help themselves have a harder time to heal than those that have the mindset that they want to be better.

Again, I do apologize. I live in pain each and every day. Walking to the bathroom can be painful and bring tears. Having someone gently touch my foot or leg can bring a level 10 reaction. I would never ever insinuate that my experience is better then others because I'm the best ever. I may not have back issues but I have plenty of others.

I refuse to let my pain make me sit inside every day and complain. I am out there pushing myself. For example, I have my four grandkids for two weeks. They are 5, 7, 9 and 11. This was the first day of their two week stay. OMG! First day accomplished. Only 14 more to go LOL.

One more time: I am sorry I insulted anyone. Pain is a very personal thing. So is recovery and life. For me personally, I will get out of bed and crawl to the toilet if that is what it takes. My point was: there are others that won't. That it is a totally personal issue.

Also, for the record, my first surgery was not only a total bust but it 150% made my condition worse. Much worse. If I was a person that sued I would have a wonderful lawsuit. That just isn't me.

Sometimes fighters can make things worse.

Pain has a purpose to tell us something is wrong.

Ignoring it can cause more damage.

Thank you. I think the issue was with the word "whiner." We all heal differently and we see everything through our own lenses. For example, I had total knee replacement about 18 months ago. I worked so hard at my physical therapy and progressed faster than most because of it. My daughter's father-in-law had the same surgery in November of last year and didn't work hard at PT and will never have full range of motion like I do unless he has another procedure and goes through more PT. He's not a whiner, he just didn't handle the pain of PT very well so didn't apply himself. Same surgery (even same surgeon), completely different result.

Edited by Quilting_Cruiser

If you decide to go, please make sure you purchase your insurance when you book your cruise. I say this because I had brain surgery and booked a cruise 4 months after the surgery, which was certainly enough time to heal. Unfortunately, I had some complications and had to cancel the cruise 3 months after my surgery. I cancelled the cruise a month prior to it and got all my money back. You just never know, so protect yourself.

I had a fusion on L4L5 several years ago. I didn't take a cruise afterwards so I can't speak to that. But I am not a "whiner" and I consider myself a "fighter" as this was my third back surgery. I had complications - was in the hospital 11 days, and was out of work for three months. So I know I would not have been able to take a cruise two months after my surgery. But as others have said - you could get along beautifully without complications and make it just fine. Good luck!